Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did James Toney and Bernard Hopkins never fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toney616 View Post
    Cool my mistake.

I have never come across any experts weighing in on who they thought would win the fight. Maybe they were waiting for it to be a done deal, never easy when the name Hopkins is involved

My opinion I think Toney wins that fight. More skilled and the naturally bigger man. I'm sure cw Toney hits just as hard as Segundo Mercado as well.
    Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    No way Hopkins beats that roided version of Toney. He was a monster at 190.
    Agreed. I saw Toney fight live and up close against Adolpho Washington and Jirov and he seemed very comfortable and capable coming in at or near the 190lb limit. I was actually hoping we would get to see Toney vs JC Gomez at cruiserweight but Gomez moved to heavy and Toney followed not long after I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      No way Hopkins beats that roided version of Toney. He was a monster at 190.
      lmao

Comment

i am pretty sure this fight was being discussed and considered in the early part last this decade. it would have been at 175 i believe. i can't remember what happened to derail it. Jermain Taylor maybe?

Comment

Im unsure why they never tangled at MW but it sounds like it just didnt make sense - timelines.

I know they DID nearly fight much later on but Nard changed his mind or priced himself out

Anyway both guys at their respective best i'l back my man JT all day long

Comment

Originally posted by tim horton View Post
            i am pretty sure this fight was being discussed and considered in the early part last this decade. it would have been at 175 i believe. i can't remember what happened to derail it. Jermain Taylor maybe?
            Toney was well past 175 when this match was being discussed. It probably went nowhere for the usual reasons, no agreement on conditions and not enough guaranteed money for the fighters.

Comment

toney was built like a tank back then good power, descent hand speed and crafty with the shoulder roll. would have been a great fight would have loved to see the press confrence and face to face just as much as the fight.

WAR TONEY!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X