No announcement yet.

First sparring session

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First sparring session

I sparred for the first time today, my trainer kind of just threw me in there. Ive only been training for 3 weeks and have only learned 1-2. Do you think this is too quick for sparring?

The sooner you get in there,the sooner you learn.
    Don't be afraid if you're nervous,most of us were/are!

Comment

I sparred the 2nd night that I was ever boxing. All they showed me and all that I had worked the night before was a 1-2 and blocking a jab. If you get in with a guy with experience than you can work on those things as the experienced guy should just play with you like a cat and a mouse. Get in with another inexperienced boxer and it will turn into a slugfest. I would always take a second from my training to watch whenever 2 new guys would step in to throw. It was usually worth a good chuckle as they throw techique out the window and just start sluggin'. Those were good times.............Rockin'

Comment

Haha rockin, funny you say that because that's exactly what happened. I was fightin a bigger guy who was also inexperienced and we just stood toe to toe. I hurt him with an uppercut in the first and the trainer stopped the round as i was blasting him with uppercuts against the ropes and he was just trying to cover his face. The second round he beat up on me pretty good, we were both tired and it was hard to hit him because he was throwin such crazy punches, he even hit me on the top of the head, haha. I was a little nervous throughout, but i took some good shots to the chin and I hope to get better and actually box, not street fight, haha. Thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

Find a guy in your gym with good experience and tell him that you need to work on some things, that you arent looking to really fight. If you have a guy like that in your gym he will probably move a few rounds with you. Lethim know exactly what your working on. With his experience he can counter with shots that you will see in fights. It will help you to learn the rythme of the fight. But beware, if you nail him, he will most likely nail you back just a lil' bit harder to remind you whos boss. Have fun man, this sport is the greatest. These so called extreme sports are nothing compared to boxing...........Rockin'

Comment

I sparred the very first time I went to the gym, and have sparred every day that I hit the gym since then. It's a great way to start, and to end your work out.

I really wish I had a good quality boxer to spar with though, as the folk I spar with are as inexperienced as myself, so we end up trying to teach each other as we go..

Dont suppose we got any good boxers in tampa who'd like to beat up on me?

Comment

Some say u shouldnt get in a ring before 3 months of training, i say thats bull! Technique is worthless without experience, u have to test out what they teach you. The other reason is that its the best way to develop heart(or bravery) and get over blinking when getting hit or backing away when getting hit. The more you sparr the faster you'll overcome these things.

But most importantly have fun and enjoy the sport

Comment

keep sparing man, and also watch good fighters especially amatuers cos 4 round amatuer bout have a faster pace about them then a 12 rd pro fite, try n get footage of good amateurs (e.g. olympics), becos after more sparing ur style will fine tune. No offence dude, but ur trainer doesnt sound 2 experienced.There are obviosuly basics about boxing that need to be abided by. Find a style thats suitable to you, if ur 6 foot something, tyson crouching style isnt for you, you know.All punches dont have to be hard, cos amatuers is about points.
                general tips: keep chin down; be warm and loose before u spar; have a bounce in a ya step; this can generate speed and strike power with ya punch; Alot of good amatuers use the punch in, punch out style, which requires nimble feet and keep on ya toes. Try to keep a basic thought in ya head before spar like " fast hands, fast feet" like Amir Kahn.
                The more ring experience, and sparing with good amatuers or even doing exhibitions we national or regional champs helps. You learn alot from the best. Not many people touch on this point, but it also good 2 get tips off fellow experienced fighters not just ya trainer.
                I hope that helps a bit

Comment

and when shadow boxing, bounce around on ya feet, move heaps and swivel.
                  Over exaggerating ya foot movement is good 4 ya man. Ali, DLH, Mosley.. all do it. Even do it at home. Theres nothing worse than a starting amatuer who stands centre of ring and aimlessly slugs it out, it may be entertaining, but u dont learn much about slipping, dodging, blocking and parrying punches.

Comment

thanks, i'm going to improve in no time!

Comment

Working...
                    X