No announcement yet.

Shadow boxing with dumbbell / resistance band

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
    Well I have/sometimes use resistance bands in the manner I described,methodically slow under tension. Simply it is not a ballistic movement and in my opinion may actually lead to a reduction in speed. The resistance is only in the forward motion. But the pulling muscles are equally important for speed power and technique. The tension developed with the bands throughout the movement programs the wrong kind of neurological adaption that the more ballistic light dumbells offer.

You said you liked it because of the horizontal plane right? And feel that dumbells offer vertical resistance? That is truer the heavier the weights are.

What many don't realise is that when you use light (1lb) dumbells with swift moement both extension and retraction of the punches, the resistance actually is horizontal because of the changes of inertia every complete punch. What's more the inertia changes at the end of the punch too to retract it activating your posterior muscles which the bands do not do because they only use the anterior ones.

Strength imbalance and tendonitis results.

A guy above claimed heftier weights can be used for other drills and I agree, just not for shadow boxing. The best here is the medicine ball throw or shot put which does not retract at the end, it follows through. You can use heavy weight balls here. This develops good power and such and the straighter the trajectory of the ball, the more technically correct the movement is.

There are several articles to this effect to read.

Not saying I am dead on correct, each to their own mate. These are just my opinions of what optimal training is. I do have a fairly good background in exercise physiology.
    thanks a lot, i trust your opinion/analysis, but will still look into it. cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      you knock yourself out with the dumbells when you shadowbox with them? LoL
      You're one of those types, huh?

Still sour from being abused in the other thread I see?

Hilariously enough, my account is actually plastered with green k from awhile ago... BY YOU... which utters the question... is this a love/hate thing??

Lmao.

And to give you the practicality behind your cherry-pick of a post;

With dumbbells, depending on the size, you would hold them far enough away from your head to where they don't bang against your own cranium when you bring your hands back, unless you're a masochistic. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of conditioning yourself to keep your arms up as well. BUT, on the other hand, they have convenient sizes where you can just basically with the weight into your hand before you wrap them and they won't jut out.

But I guess since you have a personal vendetta against me you'd rather take every chance to argue against anything miniscule just for the sake of arguing, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
        You're one of those types, huh?

Still sour from being abused in the other thread I see?

Hilariously enough, my account is actually plastered with green k from awhile ago... BY YOU... which utters the question... is this a love/hate thing??

Lmao.

And to give you the practicality behind your cherry-pick of a post;

With dumbbells, depending on the size, you would hold them far enough away from your head to where they don't bang against your own cranium when you bring your hands back, unless you're a masochistic. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of conditioning yourself to keep your arms up as well. BUT, on the other hand, they have convenient sizes where you can just basically with the weight into your hand before you wrap them and they won't jut out.

But I guess since you have a personal vendetta against me you'd rather take every chance to argue against anything miniscule just for the sake of arguing, huh?
        Vendetta? I don't even know who you are, nor do I recall what you are talking about from way back whenever. I just find it funny that you talk about knocking yourself out from the weights in your hands hitting your head, simple as that. In the years that I used the hand weights it never once happened to me.
        Last edited by Rockin'; 04-24-2015, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Vendetta? I don't even know who you are, nor do I recall what you are talking about from back whenever. I just find it funny that you talk about knocking yourself out from the weights in your hands hitting your head, simple as that.

Must be a 'personal trainer'.
          And I gave you your answer, and you've disregarded it. Are these your stomping grounds? Am I pissing on your territory? Your ass gets so defense. I gave a golden post, your ass is acting like a diva hahahaha.

It's whatever your girlfriend wants me to be that night, so yeah personal trainer or whatever.

Comment

And I gave you your answer, and you've disregarded it. Are these your stomping grounds? Am I pissing on your territory? Your ass gets so defense. I gave a golden post, your ass is acting like a diva hahahaha.

It's whatever your girlfriend wants me to be that night, so yeah personal trainer or whatever.
            yeah, or what ever.

good advice is good advice, just as bad is bad.....

I just found it funny that you would even hit yourself with the weights, simple as that.

defensive, diva.... yeah, whatever. I know this sport inside and out. Don't know everything but I am very well versed in most areas.

I am sorry that you knock yourself out with the weights and apologize for making fun of you about it. As for the girlfriend, have fun. it's been years and she's fat now. Bring plenty of flour and duct tape and you might have some fun.
            Last edited by Rockin'; 04-24-2015, 08:16 AM.

Comment

yeah, or what ever.

good advice is good advice, just as bad is bad.....

I just found it funny that you would even hit yourself with the weights, simple as that.

defensive, diva.... yeah, whatever. I know this sport inside and out. Don't know everything but I am very well versed in most areas.

I am sorry that you knock yourself out with the weights and apologize for making fun of you about it. As for the girlfriend, have fun. it's been years and she's fat now. Bring plenty of flour and duct tape and you might have some fun.
              If that's what you have to tell yourself to give yourself that little boost on top of the ol' horse, then to each their own. But you only know the truth, I'll just let it eat at ya

I just find it funny that you dwell on forums all day and tell yourself you're a masterclass in the art. I mean, seriously, June 2004? 14,000 posts? In the gym, like what, once every 6 months? Not to mention you happened to be online when I replied, ahahahaha. You're always in some argument, starting *****. Definitely not some boxing coach... not uh. That's no behavior, lol. That's actually the funniest part.

When I think about it, you must be a grown ass man.. which is fairly depressing to think about when your ability to debate is comparable teenage girl in an Abercrombie. Your tactics have been all narratives and substance/practicality, lol.

Really? You have to TELL every one that you are well versed? Like, you have to convince us? Are you insecure with your own knowledge base that you have to give some sort of compensation or something?

Comment

If that's what you have to tell yourself to give yourself that little boost on top of the ol' horse, then to each their own. But you only know the truth, I'll just let it eat at ya

I just find it funny that you dwell on forums all day and tell yourself you're a masterclass in the art. I mean, seriously, June 2004? 14,000 posts? In the gym, like what, once every 6 months? Not to mention you happened to be online when I replied, ahahahaha. You're always in some argument, starting *****. Definitely not some boxing coach... not uh. That's no behavior, lol. That's actually the funniest part.

When I think about it, you must be a grown ass man.. which is fairly depressing to think about when your ability to debate is comparable teenage girl in an Abercrombie. Your tactics have been all narratives and substance/practicality, lol.

Really? You have to TELL every one that you are well versed? Like, you have to convince us? Are you insecure with your own knowledge base that you have to give some sort of compensation or something?
                like I said, I don't even remember who you are or our history.

a stroke took me out of the mix for a while.

master class? I never stated that yet when I get 'personal trainers' trying to dig in to me about my experience I have to laugh.

You personal trainer guys crack me up. You work 3 rounds with some exercise enthusiast lady client on the mitts and then front like you're a boxing trainer whose been in the sport for years. I've ben around you guys since '99, the personal trainers. Most of you guys have a lot to learn of the sport, a hell of a lot. Did you even fight? By your advice up there it's easily assumed that you never have.

I just know what I know, if it intimidates you than maybe you should spend years in the sport so that we can talk.

'Til then take your bs opinions of me else where. And take those head crunching hand weights with you. You gave good advice up there but still, get your head wrapped and learn something before coming around trying to **** on me.

you are the one who wrote about hand weights knocking you out, not me. I just thought that it was funny.
                Last edited by Rockin'; 04-24-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X