No announcement yet.

Compare Gene Fullmer to Jake Lamotta

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare Gene Fullmer to Jake Lamotta

Where are they similar and what are there difference's in technique.
    How would you rate there accomplishment's?

Bumped this topic in the hopes that Ray Corso sees it.

Comment

Good idea! Ray?

Comment

I think Lamotta is slightly better,, Fullmer may be alittle more sound, but i think Lamotta would beat him H2H

Would be a grueling fight, but i think lamotta could outlast him

Comment

Jake was a legit Middleweight I know Gene fought alot at Middleweigh but he fought welters who got to the point where 147 was to tuff to get to so they fought at Middle. Neither of the men had one punch power but they were both physically strong and Gene had great cardio and Jake was a master at pacing himself! Both had alot more technical ability but prefered their own style because it worked the majority of time.
          Genes record is filled with great names but many were closer to their end then their prime. He still gets alot of credit because those men weren't "picking up the pennies" to loose they came to win. Robinson & Basillo at any age was a serious fight!
          I'd give an edge if they met to Jake, not a big margin but I think his hook would do him well against Gene. I doubt Gene hurts him but Jake might rock Gene a little! Either way it would be a great match up, Fullmer is under rated to often. The guy was good and a very honest fighter, a fan favorite. Imagine going into Madison Sq. Garden and beating Sugar Ray for the title!
          Thats pretty big!! Ofcourse the greatest fighter that ever lived KO'd Gene a few months later but thats no disgrace either. (thats the immortal left hook stepping back)
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Jake was a legit Middleweight I know Gene fought alot at Middleweigh but he fought welters who got to the point where 147 was to tuff to get to so they fought at Middle. Neither of the men had one punch power but they were both physically strong and Gene had great cardio and Jake was a master at pacing himself! Both had alot more technical ability but prefered their own style because it worked the majority of time.
            Genes record is filled with great names but many were closer to their end then their prime. He still gets alot of credit because those men weren't "picking up the pennies" to loose they came to win. Robinson & Basillo at any age was a serious fight!
            I'd give an edge if they met to Jake, not a big margin but I think his hook would do him well against Gene. I doubt Gene hurts him but Jake might rock Gene a little! Either way it would be a great match up, Fullmer is under rated to often. The guy was good and a very honest fighter, a fan favorite. Imagine going into Madison Sq. Garden and beating Sugar Ray for the title!
            Thats pretty big!! Ofcourse the greatest fighter that ever lived KO'd Gene a few months later but thats no disgrace either. (thats the immortal left hook stepping back)
            Ray.
            I once asked Joe Reine who he thought some really scary fighters were with respect to projecting that Tyson like fury. He told me that Fullmer had a real look, like the kind of mug you did not want any part of... Big hands, really beat up face....he also said Duran was a monster haha.

Thanks Ray.

Comment

Lamotta had technique and was the real deal. Fullmer had a lack of technique and was a protected fighter who got a lot of gift decisions.

Comment

If Fullmer fought his style today he'd probably get disqualified quite quickly. In particular the rabbit punching and headbutting were beyond belief. Referees were absolutely hopeless in the 50s. Fullmer had one of the ugliest jabs you'll ever see but it could be surprisingly effective, he handled Basilio with it. His defence was pretty good, he waited on the outside, pushed the jab and waited his moment to move in and then he'd often billy goat in swinging both his arms, if you tried to clinch him he'd rabbit punch you to death and he'd swing his elbows and forearms to 'work' on the inside. The lax referring allowed him to get away with this and therefore he was successful. He was hard as nails, had a solid chin, was strong, had a lot of heart and seemed to love to fight. Not particularly powerful though, nor accurate.

LaMotta had more skill, impressive jab, very good defence where he'd stay low, used the left shoulder well and caught a lot of punches with his right glove or right forearm. He also had his infamous solid chin, good stamina, good left hook, strong body punching with both hands and a lot of heart. He was also very strong and nobody seemed to be able to move him in the clinches much, i'd say good balance along with his strength. Fairly useless overhand right though and he was also not especially powerful.

If he fought today then assuming Fullmer would change his tactics to avoid disqualification then he'd be a Sakio Bika type, maybe slightly better but that kind of fighter, someone all the top guys beat but fail to look impressive whilst doing so. He'd likely only be a top contender today at middleweight. LaMotta by contrast would likely be a champion.

I personally think Fullmer is ugly to watch whereas LaMotta is a very enjoyable fighter to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                  If Fullmer fought his style today he'd probably get disqualified quite quickly. In particular the rabbit punching and headbutting were beyond belief. Referees were absolutely hopeless in the 50s. Fullmer had one of the ugliest jabs you'll ever see but it could be surprisingly effective, he handled Basilio with it. His defence was pretty good, he waited on the outside, pushed the jab and waited his moment to move in and then he'd often billy goat in swinging both his arms, if you tried to clinch him he'd rabbit punch you to death and he'd swing his elbows and forearms to 'work' on the inside. The lax referring allowed him to get away with this and therefore he was successful. He was hard as nails, had a solid chin, was strong, had a lot of heart and seemed to love to fight. Not particularly powerful though, nor accurate.

LaMotta had more skill, impressive jab, very good defence where he'd stay low, used the left shoulder well and caught a lot of punches with his right glove or right forearm. He also had his infamous solid chin, good stamina, good left hook, strong body punching with both hands and a lot of heart. He was also very strong and nobody seemed to be able to move him in the clinches much, i'd say good balance along with his strength. Fairly useless overhand right though and he was also not especially powerful.

If he fought today then assuming Fullmer would change his tactics to avoid disqualification then he'd be a Sakio Bika type, maybe slightly better but that kind of fighter, someone all the top guys beat but fail to look impressive whilst doing so. He'd likely only be a top contender today at middleweight. LaMotta by contrast would likely be a champion.

I personally think Fullmer is ugly to watch whereas LaMotta is a very enjoyable fighter to watch.
                  Good analysis

Two guys from two very different environments.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post

Great summation of Lamotta and Fullmer.

Comment

Working...
                    X