No announcement yet.

The waste of talent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The waste of talent

This topic has been in discussion since always, but i want to hear what are your opinions about wasted talent from different types of waste.

1-The fighters that archive many things and could be/are hall of famers, but with their talent and style could/should have made more: Mike Tyson, Naseem Hamed, Chris Eubank, Roy Jones Jr., Floyd Mayweather, Oscar Dela Hoya.
    2-The fighters that won multiple titles but never reached the elite: Michael Nunn, Zab Judah, Mark Breland, Adrien Broner, Joan Guzman.
    3-The fighters that won at least a title: Regilio Tuur, Gerald McClellan, Leon Spinks, Itsvan Kovacs.
    4-The fighters that never won a title but fought for one: Herol Graham, Howard Davis Jr, Andrew Golota, David Tua.
    5-The fighters that never reached a title fight: Francisco Bojado, Bernard Mays, Ricardo Williams, Todd Hickman.

Who do you think should be added and in what category?

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
    This topic has been in discussion since always, but i want to hear what are your opinions about wasted talent from different types of waste.

1-The fighters that archive many things and could be/are hall of famers, but with their talent and style could/should have made more: Mike Tyson, Naseem Hamed, Chris Eubank, Roy Jones Jr., Floyd Mayweather, Oscar Dela Hoya.
    Let me just start off first with Floyd. And believe me, I'm no Floyd fan.

But dude. He finished 49-0 and retires as the most lucrative fighter in the sport's history. And I know some of y'all hate when money is brought up...but it's called "prize fighting" for a reason.

I have no idea on earth how you can say the guy wasted talent. If anything he maximized it to its fullest extent that the sport would allow -- and that's by winning all 49 of his professional fights and earning more money than any fighter...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

But dude. He finished 49-0 and retires as the most lucrative fighter in the sport's history. And I know some of y'all hate when money is brought up...but it's called "prize fighting" for a reason.

I have no idea on earth how you can say the guy wasted talent. If anything he maximized it to its fullest extent that the sport would allow -- and that's by winning all 49 of his professional fights and earning more money than any fighter...ever.
      Imagine how Floyd's resume would look if he would have fought Mosley, Dela Hoya and Pacquiao in their prime, if he would have fought all the fighters he could, he would be easily one of the top10 fighters of all time, but if you analyze his resume and you ask:
      Who is the hardest puncher he fought?: Maidana, huge puncher, he would be in the top 10 hardest punchers ever?.
      Who is the fastest puncher he fought? Manny, fast puncher, but he was the same speed demon the night he fought Floyd?.
      Who is the best defensive fighter he fought?: Cotto?, Judah?, are either in the top10 best defensive fighters ever?.
      And you can do the same with any topic, Mayweather resume is atg/hof material, but he calls himself T.B.E when fighters like Leonard, Duran, Ali and Robinson, fought fighters that are top 10 in history in any topic, power, speed, defense, etc...
      Mayweather knew how to sell himself so many people wouldn't question his resume, but the truth is that he knew that his undefeated record was the money thing, he would be a villain and he couldn't do that without his invincible aura, he wouldn't risk that aura.

Comment

I'm a floyd fan...and i get what he's saying to a certain extent. There were many performances where i was left disappointed. His career just leaves a feeling of wanting something more. Too much talent to not be displayed to the fullest.

Comment

When I think of Floyd and DLH, I hardly think of wasted talent. Not everyone is in their prime at the same time. If their resumes are unacceptable then whose are??

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            When I think of Floyd and DLH, I hardly think of wasted talent. Not everyone is in their prime at the same time. If their resumes are unacceptable then whose are??
            I think i explained my point with Floyd in a post before and in the case of Oscar, if you watch him, you could see a fighter without any significant flaw, but he was so inconsistent, he needed a really good corner on his side and he probably would have remained undefeated in his prime.
            Like a said in the first post, these guys have atg/hof resumes, but they could have been in the top 10 p4p list of all time, they never reached they full potential, imagine Mayweather having a Corrales type performances against someone like Hamed or Manny, or Dela Hoya having his performance against Vargas against Tito, Quartey or Tszyu.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              De La Hoya wasn't wasted talent. We saw what his talent level was. Floyd, we never really saw what he was capable when pushed to his limits outside of the Castilo fight. He then spent the rest of his career avoiding getting into any fights that might test him. Although he probably miss evaluated Maidana, and looked **** in the fight as a result.

It would have been nice to see him test himself, like we saw Hopkins test himself.

Comment

exactly..what the hell more do people want from a fighter?

49-0

11 time champ in 5 divisions

5 time lineal champ in 4 divisions

highest paid fighter..**** that athlete..EVER!!!!!

waste of talent???? really?

Comment

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                  Imagine how Floyd's resume would look if he would have fought Mosley, Dela Hoya and Pacquiao in their prime, if he would have fought all the fighters he could, he would be easily one of the top10 fighters of all time, but if you analyze his resume and you ask:
                  Who is the hardest puncher he fought?: Maidana, huge puncher, he would be in the top 10 hardest punchers ever?.
                  Who is the fastest puncher he fought? Manny, fast puncher, but he was the same speed demon the night he fought Floyd?.
                  Who is the best defensive fighter he fought?: Cotto?, Judah?, are either in the top10 best defensive fighters ever?.
                  And you can do the same with any topic, Mayweather resume is atg/hof material, but he calls himself T.B.E when fighters like Leonard, Duran, Ali and Robinson, fought fighters that are top 10 in history in any topic, power, speed, defense, etc...
                  Mayweather knew how to sell himself so many people wouldn't question his resume, but the truth is that he knew that his undefeated record was the money thing, he would be a villain and he couldn't do that without his invincible aura, he wouldn't risk that aura.
                  hell he tried..Oscar nor Mosley wanted it(high risk low reward)..and Manny walked over drug testing....how is any of that floyds fault?

Comment

Oscar De La Hoya waste of talent?? he did all he could do...what are you looking for here? he went from 130-160

Comment

Working...
                    X