Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones-Lebedev Possible For Balashikha on April 27?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the real reason that Roy is still fighting is because of pride. In his prime, he missed out on fighting some true competition. To this day, he still gets criticised for ducking top guys. Its like Rocky 3 when Micky told Rocky that all his fights after Apollo were handpicked. He couldn't accept it and fought the toughest guy out there.That's what Roy is going through right now.Most of his opponents were handpicked in his prime, and now he just can't swallow it. He's looking for that big win to redeem himself.But its too late.His chin is gone. When he gets grazed, he wobbles. I just hope he doesn't end up hurt. I never looked at him as an all time great fighter, but more like a great entertainer in the ring. With the right trainer and dedication,he could have went down as the best of all time.

Comment

This is a one-round blowout.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Invincible View Post
        Look everyone, Roy's legacy as one of the greatest ever is secure. History will not hold these losses against him when he's gone for a while. History has proven this.

I do however wish he would take a light touch and retire. After the Lacy fight it would have been perfect.

It does pain me to see Roy losing to guys he would have run roughshod over in his prime. This includes guys like Glen Johnson, Tarver, Calzaghe and Green. (Hopkins, he did beat easily in his prime)
        Ali's condition proves otherwise, in which he and everyone into boxing remembers everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Invincible View Post
          Look everyone, Roy's legacy as one of the greatest ever is secure. History will not hold these losses against him when he's gone for a while. History has proven this.

I do however wish he would take a light touch and retire. After the Lacy fight it would have been perfect.

It does pain me to see Roy losing to guys he would have run roughshod over in his prime. This includes guys like Glen Johnson, Tarver, Calzaghe and Green. (Hopkins, he did beat easily in his prime)
          No it isn't

The man had atg talent, but has glaring holes in his resume. I'm sick of talent being used to give atg status, you need to prove it time and time again against the toughest guys out there, jones did not do this, the likes of ali dis.

saying guys like jones and floyd are up there with ali is an insult

he was managed to look spectacular.

I seriously don't think he'd ever beat glen johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by jvsnypes View Post
            I think the real reason that Roy is still fighting is because of pride. In his prime, he missed out on fighting some true competition. To this day, he still gets criticised for ducking top guys. Its like Rocky 3 when Micky told Rocky that all his fights after Apollo were handpicked. He couldn't accept it and fought the toughest guy out there.That's what Roy is going through right now.Most of his opponents were handpicked in his prime, and now he just can't swallow it. He's looking for that big win to redeem himself.But its too late.His chin is gone. When he gets grazed, he wobbles. I just hope he doesn't end up hurt. I never looked at him as an all time great fighter, but more like a great entertainer in the ring. With the right trainer and dedication,he could have went down as the best of all time.
            Huh? Normal fighters don't beat prime Hopkins, Toney & KO Hill. Let alone go from middleweight to heavyweight and win a world title. Roy missed out on the majority of major fights in his prime because the people in mention would not come across the pond and do things on Roy's terms. Which as P4P#1, he deserved. The ducking claim is nonsense. Roy unified all the LHW titles , save one. Nobody else has ever done it. 7 belts at once was a masterclass and like many others on here, the latest chapter in Roys career has clouded your mind to his prime greatness. Had Roy retired after beating Tarver, he would be regaurded as top 3 ATG. Bar none.

Speaking of which, I'm making a poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Akucapri View Post
              Ali's condition proves otherwise, in which he and everyone into boxing remembers everyday.
              I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here. What exactly are you opposing? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
                No it isn't

The man had atg talent, but has glaring holes in his resume. I'm sick of talent being used to give atg status, you need to prove it time and time again against the toughest guys out there, jones did not do this, the likes of ali dis..
                Roy fought those whom would fight him at his peak. It's not his fault the Europeans would not come over here and get embarrassed like Woods did.

saying guys like jones and floyd are up there with ali is an insult
                You are right, Roy and Mayweather would never have lost to such a one dimensional slugger such as Frazier in their primes. Roy was essentially 50-0 before he lost @ 35 y/o if you weren't aware.

he was managed to look spectacular.
                Who looks spectacular every time out against Hopkins, Toney and a slew of other world titlists? Roy was P4P #1 for like 7 years out of a decade and was voted fighter of the 90's. I would say the boxing experts know more about the subject than you.

I seriously don't think he'd ever beat glen johnson.
                The absolute most moronic thing I've read on here in a long, long time.
                Prime Hopkins can beat and stop Johnson, as well as Woods and a ton of other fighters, but Roy could never have beaten him? I think you are just a little too young or naive to be taken seriously on this subject.

Comment

Wow! Roy went from "I will never fight outside USA" to now doing his World Tour!

Comment

Roy losing his mind
                    going to end up incapacitated
                    not getting anymore big fights so why bother
                    HBO accept him back as announcer, he is lucky for that
                    should stay doing commentary and retire already before getting hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X