No announcement yet.

Era Misconceptions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Era Misconceptions

The term "golden age of bla bla bla" is thrown around too loosely.

One era misconception I'm aware of, assuming it's a misconception, is that the 70's was the "golden age" of heavyweights. I don't buy it, plain and simple. I don't care how many names you rattle off, videos of the 70s do not impress me and I watch a lot of videos and am very open minded about the past.

The other one I'm aware of is the notion that Ray Robinson's era was the "golden age" of middleweights. Again, I don't care how many names, those videos do not impress me. They're not bad - Ray was in some good fights. But I don't think it was the toughest era.

Originally posted by Kinetic Linking View Post
    The term "golden age of bla bla bla" is thrown around too loosely.

One era misconception I'm aware of, assuming it's a misconception, is that the 70's was the "golden age" of heavyweights. I don't buy it, plain and simple. I don't care how many names you rattle off, videos of the 70s do not impress me and I watch a lot of videos and am very open minded about the past.

The other one I'm aware of is the notion that Ray Robinson's era was the "golden age" of middleweights. Again, I don't care how many names, those videos do not impress me. They're not bad - Ray was in some good fights. But I don't think it was the toughest era.
    and today's era impresses you? (the Heavyweights)

the 70's had some superb Athletes, Ali, Norton, Frazier....and yes George Foreman was a beast.

Robinsons era wasn't the golden age for middleweights though, considering the 3 best middleweights in my book weren't from his era.

IMO the competition during his era was average, but he was great.

Comment

where did I say that today's era impressed me? I didn't so save yourself some time and don't check. George Foreman's one of my favorite fighters of all time, I just don't think the 70s was any kind of golden age.

Comment

80s is the best decade for Heavyweights in my personal opinion, followed by the 70s, which is neck and neck with the 90s. 60s were very over rated, 50s were better. But they're all far superior to the current decade.

As for my favorite Middleweight era, I also really liked the 80s, but it slipped over into the early 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
          80s is the best decade for Heavyweights in my personal opinion, followed by the 70s, which is neck and neck with the 90s. 60s were very over rated, 50s were better. But they're all far superior to the current decade.

As for my favorite Middleweight era, I also really liked the 80s, but it slipped over into the early 90s.
          I like Haglers era for middleweights

The mid 80's to 90's was a good era for Heavyweights, with Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Tyson and with Holmes still sticking around. I think the 70's edges it out though with Foreman, Ali, Frazier, Norton

Comment

Which era do you think has better heavyweights than the 70's Kinetic out of curiosity? Remember that the era is noted for having much much more than just Ali,Foreman,Frazier,Norton.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              I like Haglers era for middleweights

The mid 80's to 90's was a good era for Heavyweights, with Bowe, Holyfield, Lewis, Tyson and with Holmes still sticking around. I think the 70's edges it out though with Foreman, Ali, Frazier, Norton
              All due respect to Hagler, the second half of the 80s was better than the first in the MW department.

The Body Snatcher
              Sweet Reggie Johnson
              Patrizio
              Second to Nunn
              Irish Steve Collins
              Action Jackson
              The Dark Destroyer
              Chris Eubank
              Michael Watson

...and that's just the A list, might have left someone out too. The coming of James Toney and RJJ in the late 80s and early 90s put an exclamation point on that era.

As for the the 80s Heavyweights:

Holmes (Prime -> Over the hill)
              Tyson (Prime)
              Holyfield (Prime)
              Witherspoon (Prime)
              *Qawi (Prime -> Over the hill)
              Foreman (Over the hill)
              Gerry Cooney (Prime)
              Trevor Berbick (Prime)
              Michael Spinks (Post-Prime)

That's the A/A- list of names that had a meaningful impact in the 80s. I included Qawi since Cruiserweights didn't exist in the 70s. 80s definitely takes it in the A department, but the A- department would have more depth in the 70s.

Comment

I can't say I agree with the 80's being a golden era for heavyweights.

Holmes and Tyson were the dominant champions, both great fighters, but aside from them the talent around was severely lacking, or I'd rather say the dedication since men such as Witherspoon, Thomas, Dokes, Page, Tubbs and others were all talented but wasted their potential one way or another (mostly drugs).

I'd say that Holyfield and Foreman were 1990's heavyweights, since that's when they made their impact on the division. Qawi, Spinks, Cooney and Berbick hardly qualify as A-list heavyweights in my opinion.
                Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-11-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

1970's heavyweights were in my opinion:

Muhammad Ali
                  Joe Frazier
                  George Foreman
                  Ken Norton
                  Larry Holmes
                  Jimmy Young
                  Jerry Quarry
                  Ron Lyle
                  Earnie Shavers
                  Joe Bugner

Other notables:

Leon Spinks
                  Oscar Bonavena
                  Floyd Patterson (for his fights against Bonavena and Ali in the early 70's)
                  Mac Foster
                  Jimmy Ellis
                  Gregorio Peralta
                  John Tate
                  Henry Clark
                  Duane Bobick
                  Chuck Wepner
                  Kallie Knoetze

1980's:

Larry Holmes
                  Mike Tyson
                  Tim Witherspoon
                  Gerry Cooney
                  Mike Weaver
                  Michael Dokes
                  Tony Tucker
                  Gerrie Coetzee
                  Trevor Berbick
                  Pinklon Thomas
                  Tony Tubbs
                  Greg Page
                  Frank Bruno
                  Carl Williams
                  Tyrell Biggs
                  Renaldo Snipes
                  Tex Cobb

Holyfield did come into the picture in the late 80's but he only became the champion in the 90's.

1990's:

Lennox Lewis
                  Evander Holyfield
                  Mike Tyson
                  Riddick Bowe
                  Larry Holmes
                  George Foreman
                  Razor Ruddock
                  Ray Mercer
                  Michael Moorer
                  Tommy Morrison
                  Oliver McCall
                  David Tua
                  Ike Ibeabuchi
                  Andrew Golota
                  Frank Bruno

Comment

It's hard to argue against the 70s being the golden age for Heavyweights.

Comment

Working...
                    X