Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time a fighter threw combinations at Wlad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure there have been others who've thrown some, but my best attempt at an answer would be Tony Thompson I.

Comment

They've all thrown a combination or two and missed by a mile and got a jab in the face then started trying to bob inside and look for a big punch.

Pulev had/has the speed to land combos on Wlad but he is notorious for his lack of aggression and preference for sitting back and waiting for openings, so this fight was not so surprising to people who follow the divisin closely.

I agree though the best wa to beat Wlad is to just accept that you aren't going to decision him and go kamikaze, eat a couple jabs and try to swarm him. Easier said than done when his jabs probably hit harder than most middleweights full blast right hooks.

Comment

dan_cov you are the worst wlad hater. can't believe you even tried to pretend to be a klitschko fan. it's obvious that anything you say is filled with bitterness and hate towards wlad and his success. grow up and find jesus you punk.

Comment

The reason there is a lack of people throwing combinations at Wlad is as you said, fear of being hit back. Should that be considered a knock against Wlad? Maybe we should start making a case that he could be one of the top ATG heavyweight punchers with the amount of KO's he has and the fact that no opponent wants to throw combinations at him otherwise they get knocked out...

I'm not the greatest supporter of Wlad as I hate his hit and hold, lean on guy tactics, but there has to be some respect for as Max Kellerman mentioned, after he was KO'd twice, early in 2000, you'd imagine his career was over. Little did we know, he'd go on to 17 consecutive wins since then... That's a great comeback and shows Wlad is tougher than many believed.

Let's not forget, it was Wlad who was seen as the weaker of the two brother when the going would get tough, but after he faced fears with the likes of power punching Sam Peters, he showed he could tough it out even when getting dropped 3 times (even tho behind head punches on some), lol.

Comment

Areola? Is there even a HW that throws combos right now? They're only one punchers.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
              Areola? Is there even a HW that throws combos right now? They're only one punchers.
              That's part of the problem with SUPER heavyweights. They lack stamina to throw lots of combinations and be effective in case they have to go 12rds. The back in the day heavies weren't much more than 200lbs, and thus they could move almost like cruiserweights. In this era of 245+lb heavyweights, you have to imagine how much energy it must take to haul around all that weight and using the same amount of energy to stop a punch as it does to throw a punch. It's got to be taxing.

I think the 240+lb fighters that have loose muscle and more fat can throw more combinations than the likes of 240+lb Wlad who is pure muscle and you can see how fatigued he looks at times. At least he conserves his energy pretty good throughout the fights because he does move a lot of muscle mass when he's boxing around the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                povetkin is clearly the best combination puncher in the division. of course the wlad fight didnt showcase it as he was tied up repeatedly on the iside but hes shown it in other fights

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                  ive heard quite a few of his past opponents stating its hard to get combos off against wlad due to his movement,,height and jab
                  Right, it's not easy as Dan seems to put it. You gotta be close to him to unleash a combo and you have to have jab to boot. Pulev had the right idea, pressuring him with a stiff jab, he just didn't seem confident enough to throw the right hand more than he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
                    dan_cov you are the worst wlad hater. can't believe you even tried to pretend to be a klitschko fan. it's obvious that anything you say is filled with bitterness and hate towards wlad and his success. grow up and find jesus you punk.

Why am I not a fan because I am honest about his level of competition through no fault of his own?

Maybe I should declare my love to him and claim Mormeck was a better version of prime Tua, Pulev could of held his own in any era, Thompson was a bigger more athletic Sanders, Pianeta was only the fighter that Lennox could of been.

Why not just be honest and say how it is, Povetkin is the only fighter worth anything he has beaten in going on 5 years now.

I don't understand the ''you're a hater'' logic because you don't slurp a fighters d*ck for beating sub-par opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                      Why am I not a fan because I am honest about his level of competition through no fault of his own?

Maybe I should declare my love to him and claim Mormeck was a better version of prime Tua, Pulev could of held his own in any era, Thompson was a bigger more athletic Sanders, Pianeta was only the fighter that Lennox could of been.

Why not just be honest and say how it is, Povetkin is the only fighter worth anything he has beaten in going on 5 years now.

I don't understand the ''you're a hater'' logic because you don't slurp a fighters d*ck for beating sub-par opposition.
                      dude,,ive never seen a fan of a fighter not say at least one posititve thing about the guy. youre clearly a hater in disguise. just admit it

Comment

Working...
                      X