Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belt w/ longest unbroken lineage in each division.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt w/ longest unbroken lineage in each division.

Last edited by WBC WBA IBF; 01-13-2016, 05:19 AM.

Originally posted by saint laurent View Post
    Thought it might be interesting to look at each division and see which title belt has gone the longest without a break in the lineage. It's a fairly unbiased way to determine the "real" champion in each division. Interesting to note that amazingly, the WBC flyweight belt hasn't had a break in the lineage since 1973! Even when Pacquiao couldn't make weight, he did end up losing the belt in the ring before moving up in weight. A nice feather in the cap of Chocolatito that his belt's lineage traces break decades longer than any other fighter in the sport.

Anyway, here is the list. Took several hours to put together. Weight, organization, date the current lineage started and name of the current champion are listed.

UNL IBF 12/14/02 WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO

200 WBO 01/17/09 KRZYSZTOF GLOWACKI

175 WBC 04/19/08 ADONIS STEVENSON

168 WBA 06/21/08 ANDRE WARD

160 WBA 08/14/10 GENNADY GOLOVKIN

154 WBA 05/21/05 FLOYD MAYWEATHER

147 WBC 06/21/08 FLOYD MAYWEATHER

140 WBO 04/18/15 TERENCE CRAWFORD

135 WBC 12/30/14 JORGE LINARES

130 WBA 11/28/08 TAKASHI UCHIYAMA

126 WBC 07/14/09 GARY RUSSELL

122 WBA 11/21/08 GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX

118 WBA 02/26/05 JUAN PAYANO

115 WBO 05/15/10 NAOYA INOUE

112 WBC 08/04/73 ROMAN GONZALEZ

108 WBO 10/30/10 DONNIE NIETES

105 WBC 11/24/12 WANHENG MENAYOTHIN
    Damn Roman's been rocking a belt since 73? Must be a world record.

Comment

Thought it might be interesting to look at each division and see which title belt has gone the longest without a break in the lineage. It's a fairly unbiased way to determine the "real" champion in each division. Interesting to note that amazingly, the WBC flyweight belt hasn't had a break in the lineage since 1973! Even when Pacquiao couldn't make weight, he did end up losing the belt in the ring before moving up in weight. A nice feather in the cap of Chocolatito that his belt's lineage traces break decades longer than any other fighter in the sport.

Anyway, here is the list. Took several hours to put together. Weight, organization, date the current lineage started and name of the current champion are listed.

UNL IBF 12/14/02 WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO

200 WBO 01/17/09 KRZYSZTOF GLOWACKI

175 WBC 04/19/08 ADONIS STEVENSON

168 WBA 06/21/08 ANDRE WARD

160 WBA 08/14/10 GENNADY GOLOVKIN

154 WBA 05/21/05 FLOYD MAYWEATHER

147 WBC 06/21/08 FLOYD MAYWEATHER

140 WBO 04/18/15 TERENCE CRAWFORD

135 WBC 12/30/14 JORGE LINARES

130 WBA 11/28/08 TAKASHI UCHIYAMA

126 WBC 07/14/09 GARY RUSSELL

122 WBA 11/21/08 GUILLERMO RIGONDEAUX

118 WBA 02/26/05 JUAN PAYANO

115 WBO 05/15/10 NAOYA INOUE

Golovkin didn't win the WBA belt, he was given it when Geale vacated.
      Last edited by Robbie Barrett; 10-23-2015, 05:50 AM.

Comment

So this isn't a tracing of the lineal title? As you alluded to in your original post? Because Golovkin is not lineal champ and I don't think Glowacki is either, although, imo, he did just beat the best cruiser. And I don't think the IBF was ever linked with the lineal heavyweight title? Didn't that honour belong to Vitali after Lewis' retirement, all the way till Vitali's first retirement?

It's all a bit iffy so you may be right in some instances but with mw and I'm sure cruiser, the lineage belonged to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
          Little Mac -

lol as i clearly explained, the date listed is when the belt's current unbroken lineage began. all of the WBC flyweight champions since 1973 have won the title by beating the previous champion. in the lower weight classes, the titles are usually vacated every couple years, so it's a bit of a historical fluke for there to be a belt with an unbroken lineage going back that far.

Isaac Clarke -

the date listed is when golovkin won the interim title. during his reign, he's been upgraded to regular champion and then to super champion, so the unbroken lineage for the WBA in that weight class currently traces back to 2010.

Soul Survivor -

As mentioned in my original post, I've listed the title belt in each division that has the longest unbroken lineage. With guys bouncing around weight classes so often and championships constantly being vacated and stripped, I thought it'd be interesting to see which belt in each division traced back the furthest.
          Klitschko won his IBF belt in 2006 no?

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
            Golovkin didn't win the WBA belt, he was given it when Geale vacated.
            Is this actually true???

WTF!

Comment

Laced Up -

Correct. Klitschko won the IBF title in 2006. He won it from Chris Byrd, who won the vacant title on 12/14/02. So since 12/14/02, the IBF heavyweight title has not had its lineage broken.

Since then, the WBO title was vacated by Corrie Sanders in 2003, the WBC title was vacated by Lennox Lewis in 2004, the WBA title was vacated by Roy Jones in 2004, the WBC title was vacated by Vitali Klitschko in 2005, the WBA title was vacated by Ruslan Chagaev in 2009 and the WBC title was vacated by Vitali Klitschko in 2013.

So the IBF belt has the longest unbroken lineage in the division right now. Until that lineage is broken, whoever holds that title could make the case that their belt is the most credible in the division since it's been won and lost in the ring for the longest period of time instead of having recently been vacated.
              Ah ok I get you.

Comment

And the legend grows.But he a bum doe.

Comment

Little Mac -

lol as i clearly explained, the date listed is when the belt's current unbroken lineage began. all of the WBC flyweight champions since 1973 have won the title by beating the previous champion. in the lower weight classes, the titles are usually vacated every couple years, so it's a bit of a historical fluke for there to be a belt with an unbroken lineage going back that far.

Isaac Clarke -

the date listed is when golovkin won the interim title. during his reign, he's been upgraded to regular champion and then to super champion, so the unbroken lineage for the WBA in that weight class currently traces back to 2010.

Soul Survivor -

As mentioned in my original post, I've listed the title belt in each division that has the longest unbroken lineage. With guys bouncing around weight classes so often and championships constantly being vacated and stripped, I thought it'd be interesting to see which belt in each division traced back the furthest.
                  Ah, I getcha. That's what I get for skimming on little sleep.

Comment

Working...
                  X