Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to determine a fighter's natural weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lowest weight a fighter can make while keeping most if not all of his strength, healthily.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
      Not really sure where to put this thread but, how do you determine the natural weight of a boxer?

Give them a balance diet of around 2000 calories and some light training, so what they take in they burn thought the day and after a couple months put them on the scales. And that will be their natural weight.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJ2010 View Post
        its the weight you walk around at. what the fuk is so hard to understand about that?
        Um, I know that. I meant how do I determine exactly how much that is?

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
          Um, I know that. I meant how do I determine exactly how much that is?
          C'mon man, it cant be that hard to understand. If you listen to some of the commentators during fights, then you'd have an idea of the fighter's walking around weight.
          Last edited by MeanestNiceGuy; 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
            when they're not fighting...the weight they're normally at...
            What if your a fat guy or a tall skinny guy its not going to work everybody is different , the only real way is to take them there and see the result , it takes years to tune the body to its best weight but the divisions keep everybody within touch , best weight meaning the most power and endurance with the most speed , as you strengthen one you lose on another the best for anyone is perfect balance and harmony .

Comment

10lbs below their walk around weight
              I don't think that would work with some fighters. Some fighters walk around fat. I think a better way is to have their body fat measured. A boxer in top shape should have about 5 to 10 percent body fat. Much over 10 percent and he could probably fight lighter. Much below 5 percent and he might want to fight heavier. Getting this measurement is quick and easy. Also if a fighter does not feel stong at a light weight he should fight at a higher weight.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                I don't think that would work with some fighters. Some fighters walk around fat. I think a better way is to have their body fat measured. A boxer in top shape should have about 5 to 10 percent body fat. Much over 10 percent and he could probably fight lighter. Much below 5 percent and he might want to fight heavier. Getting this measurement is quick and easy. Also if a fighter does not feel stong at a light weight he should fight at a higher weight.

I think 8-12% would be more realistic, 5% is ridiculously low, dangerous and near impossible if not impossible to maintain. Competitive bodybuilders on stage are around that & they only stay at that for a relatively short period.
                The only boxer I can think of probably, somewhere around that is Tim Bradley.
                If your bodyfat is too low it can actually lead to decrease in strength.

This is one of the more accurate guides on B.F.I

Comment

It's simply a comfort point and it varies by age, road wear, etc. Combat sports aren't exactly "natural", so a natural weight is subjective.

Comment

I've always been told that it's based off the circumfirence of your wrist.

In other words, it comes down to the size of your bones.

Comment

well, yea...we're talkin about fighters with decent discipline

my theory would put Ricky at SMW as his fighting weight
                      so Hatton should fight at light heavy? Rios is natural Middleweight?

Comment

Working...
                      X