Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to boxing

Hi!
    I just wanna get some info on workouts to start getting in shape to box

Join a gym. Run, learn proper technique, hit the heavybag, shadowbox.

Comment

Burpees are very good for boxing!

Comment

new to boxing con't

I do use the gym. What kind of running is recommended? HIIT type workouts? I lift, not as much as I'd like to, but I do. Are there any specific lifts I should be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by newboxer6 View Post
          I do use the gym. What kind of running is recommended? HIIT type workouts? I lift, not as much as I'd like to, but I do. Are there any specific lifts I should be doing?
          Lower weight, high reps, high speed

Burpees (The more you can in 5 mins, when you can do 100 you're in shape), abs exercises, skip rope, pushups

Running : 45 minutes jogging sessions, sets of 800m at high intensity, tabatas

It is VERY IMPORTANT to stretch after a workout.

PS : I also think lifting is a waste of time/useless as a boxer! But everyones thinks different.

I also think that before starting hitting bags you should learn proper techniques, to avoid injuries and bad habits. But IMO starting to hit the speed bag will help you, 20-30 mins sessions. Will help hand-eye coordination, strenghen shoulder and make an habit of keeping you hands up.
          Last edited by Madan; 12-15-2013, 06:37 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

I too would say stop using weights. You could probably cycle into those at a time when your not prepping to box but right now you should get yourself into a routine of drills. Drill in rounds something like this:

Jump Rope for 3 rounds of 1 minute
            Speed Bag for 3 rounds of 1 minute
            Agility Ladder for 3 rounds of 1 minute
            Double End Bag for 3 rounds of 1 minute
            Shadow Box for 3 rounds of 1 minute

You could run through something like that about four times in one night. Take about 30 second breaks in between rounds. That is for beginners. If you have been working out for a couple of weeks up the round time. I do 3 minute rounds on 4 different exercises and then I take a 30 second break. I run through that four times in a workout period. Two times orthodox and 2 times southpaw. At the end of the workout work on sit ups, push ups, and pull ups. Make sure you run as well. Like was said above try to stay away from hitting the heavy bag as a beginner. It will make your technique suffer. You don't want anything to give you that much resistance and keep you from punching through your target.

Comment

I forgot to add in to make sure you do some defensive head movement stuff like rope drills and slip ball. Those are pretty important to help keep you from getting hit.

Comment

Working...
              X