Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many other amateurs here don't lift weights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    Agreed. I know that many fighters can benefit from lifting, but for me it's pointless and would take time away from training.

Punching power is almost completely unimportant in my style; I train to out-land my opponent and fight for the decision.
    i acctually lost punching power when i was lifting weights, got maybe a little bit more weight behind my punches but alot less snap. no 1 punch KO power like i had before and like im starting to get back again after getting back to a proper routine without weights.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      Agreed. I know that many fighters can benefit from lifting, but for me it's pointless and would take time away from training.

Punching power is almost completely unimportant in my style; I train to out-land my opponent and fight for the decision.
      That might work sometimes, but the better your opponents get, you are going to need to have some authority in your punches, otherwise you won't get their respect. Sure you might be a good boxer, but if a guy with equal or near your skill level comes up against you, and you can't decisively outbox him, he will trample you if you have no power.

I'm not saying you have to lift, just pointing out you need some power.

Also if you watch high level am boxing with the computer scoring, you see that the only punches really getting scored are flush shots with weight behind them.

Comment

Used to lift weights in High School but it was never anything major, packed it in when I started boxing.

Comment

I don't lift weights now but I have. I've gone a fitness gym for about 3 years. It's pretty tight. Good to get your muscles and your body strong. Nice atmosphere too. The only reason why I don't now is because I can't afford both boxing and fitness gym. Some people says lifting weights make them slower, ect but it didn't effect me at all. If anything I felt stronger and faster. But I did the correct weight lifting.

When you're going to the boxing gym you're training to become more athletic and a fighter. Weights and fighting don't really have too much to do with each other except for the fact you can increase strength lifting weights. You see big buff guys all the time, but that doesn't mean they can box or be a good fighter. If you want to get a little bigger or get stronger hit some weights. Correct form and work out plan is key though. Don't just lift not knowing what you're doing. If you want to learn how to be a good fighter, that's where the training in the boxing gym comes into play.

Comment

Working...
          X