No announcement yet.

what factors derailed don curry from greatness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what factors derailed don curry from greatness

He looked fantastic in some bouts why did his peak become so short?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    He looked fantastic in some bouts why did his peak become so short?
    That's a good question. I really don't know what happened other than maybe peaking too early.

Comment

MacCallum and Honeyghan (spelling).

Comment

Curry appeared to be one of the top fighters in the sport. Then he looks like crap against Honeyghan, and although he had some success afterwards, he never looked to be near what he was before he lost his title.

Comment

Curry had something like 400 amateur fights.

I think he was burned out.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post

How true. One of several amateur superstars having too many fights in the unpaid rings ...

Comment

Donald Curry was thinking ahead to a mega fight with Hagler when he fought Honeyghan. His head was not in the right place this combined with Honeyghan's headbutts and spoiling tactics brought about the devastating loss. He was never the same after that fight.
              Curry's footwork was not up to the standard of his upper body work. H looked better than he actually was.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post

i think that was part of it.

i think personal issues played a role as well, someone close to him died (his sister i think) right around the time he faced his first career crisis. the grief and depression he went through may have made it harder for him to recover mentally from some very tough defeats.

also i think he just went through some of those things that happened in boxing, only they happened more frequently for him. he underestimated honeyghan and wasnt properly prepared physically or mentally. against mccallum he was fighting a terrific fight and just got caught with a perfect punch. after those two losses he never fully recovered.

his career gets very underrated though, reminds me of mark breland. they both had very successful career but because the didnt live up to the full expectations people act as if they were failures, thsoe expectations were ridiculously high though.

he made several defenses of his first world title and later unified the division, beating each of the other titlists. after losing it he moved up in weight and won another title. he took some big losses but all but most were against truly special fighters, he beat some good fighters himself like starling, mccrory, hwang etc

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                  i think that was part of it.

i think personal issues played a role as well, someone close to him died (his sister i think) right around the time he faced his first career crisis. the grief and depression he went through may have made it harder for him to recover mentally from some very tough defeats.

also i think he just went through some of those things that happened in boxing, only they happened more frequently for him. he underestimated honeyghan and wasnt properly prepared physically or mentally. against mccallum he was fighting a terrific fight and just got caught with a perfect punch. after those two losses he never fully recovered.

his career gets very underrated though, reminds me of mark breland. they both had very successful career but because the didnt live up to the full expectations people act as if they were failures, thsoe expectations were ridiculously high though.

he made several defenses of his first world title and later unified the division, beating each of the other titlists. after losing it he moved up in weight and won another title. he took some big losses but all but most were against truly special fighters, he beat some good fighters himself like starling, mccrory, hwang etc

Very good post, brother.

Comment

I always thought Curry looked so good because guys like Colin Jones and Milton McCrory were average. Had Curry fought in another time against the likes of Hearns and Leonard, he would not been in the top ten p4p.

Comment

Working...
                    X