Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you boxed before? How did you do? What was your style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
    Rockin' (aka PessimisticPug aka Pitbullpower) was a boxer. He finished with a 4-3 record.

I can't knock him. He had a go at least. However, he's fodder for others on this site.
    He shouldn't be, it takes balls for anyone to get in the ring. He's also sparred with top notch pros.

I fought on and off for about 8 years and stayed in the gym for years after the fact. My style was descibed in one newspaper as resembling Marciano. In other words I was short for my weight class and didn't my taking punches to land my own bombs. I still spar occasionally, but nowadays its must Thai as there are no boxing gyms in my general area.
    Last edited by JAB5239; 06-13-2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Trained and fought amatuer for about 12 years, won every major tourny in my province including golden gloves, was a member of the provincial team and fought at the national level and olympic qualifier level. Along the way was offered a pro contract but didnt take it, was a little young at the time. Gave up boxing to go to university.

I gotta say looking back now 13 or so years later, best thing I ever could of done was box, gave me confidence in all other areas of my life. Discipline, fitness, public speaking, setting and achieving goals etc. Also made me prove myself on the street and at the bar every weekend (I come from a small town that has "some" racist undertones )

As for my style, i was a counter puncher/boxer, worked behind a long jab, started at 140lbs last fight was at 170lbs and im 6'3. I had really good footwork and could punch off the back foot well, which would get me out of trouble.

I've done my best to keep boxing alive in my circle of friends, I always host the fight nights and keep everyone up to date on the latest boxing news. But I do feel embarassed and have a hard time defending the sport when decisions like the one we witnessed this past weekend happen. I agree it takes major balls for anyone to get in the ring and get punched in the face for the whole world to see, I have nothing but resect for all fighters.

Comment

I boxed for around 10 years in front of my bathroom mirror. The best boxers would appear in it and I would KO them all with my unorthodox style. Tru story.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryptonian View Post
          Trained and fought amatuer for about 12 years, won every major tourny in my province including golden gloves, was a member of the provincial team and fought at the national level and olympic qualifier level. Along the way was offered a pro contract but didnt take it, was a little young at the time. Gave up boxing to go to university.

I gotta say looking back now 13 or so years later, best thing I ever could of done was box, gave me confidence in all other areas of my life. Discipline, fitness, public speaking, setting and achieving goals etc. Also made me prove myself on the street and at the bar every weekend (I come from a small town that has "some" racist undertones )

As for my style, i was a counter puncher/boxer, worked behind a long jab, started at 140lbs last fight was at 170lbs and im 6'3. I had really good footwork and could punch off the back foot well, which would get me out of trouble.

I've done my best to keep boxing alive in my circle of friends, I always host the fight nights and keep everyone up to date on the latest boxing news. But I do feel embarassed and have a hard time defending the sport when decisions like the one we witnessed this past weekend happen. I agree it takes major balls for anyone to get in the ring and get punched in the face for the whole world to see, I have nothing but resect for all fighters.
          Any regrets looking back about not going pro?

Comment

I boxed from 18- 21, used to fight alot when i was younger so i was used to throwing my hands when i first stepped in a gym. People thought i was just flexing about not really being able to "box" and that i was a real bad ass in hiding, but then i stepped in the ring the first time and showed them i was telling truth by gettin my ass kicced lol. But i got used to it pretty quickly after that. Never took it as serious as i should have though. But it did wonders for my stamina and physical fitness. I like to think that i could move well and i kno i was a pretty strong puncher. I injured my leg in sparring one day and as they say gentleman that was that........

Comment

AB4Life - any regrets about not going pro.....not any regrets in the sense that "oh i would of been a world champion had I gone pro" or anything like that..... being realistic maybe 1-5% of pro's, if that, make a decent living (compared to the risks and damage they take)..... but i do always think about what it would of been like to have had at least one pro fight, just for that "bucket list" experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryptonian View Post
                AB4Life - any regrets about not going pro.....not any regrets in the sense that "oh i would of been a world champion had I gone pro" or anything like that..... being realistic maybe 1-5% of pro's, if that, make a decent living (compared to the risks and damage they take)..... but i do always think about what it would of been like to have had at least one pro fight, just for that "bucket list" experience.
                That makes sense. I didn't have near your success/ experience in boxing but always find myself thinking back about it. Lol. It's addictive in that sense but also scary when you figure that no matter how much success you have in the ring you may end up damaged later

Comment

Originally posted by ab4life View Post
                  Im curious on people's backgrounds here. I boxed off and on for about 15 years and had a handful of amateur fights....and did Terrible. Lol. I was always one of the better natural athletes in the gym with great power and speed at the time, but had zero stamina. Looking back now my training was always arobic instead of anaerobic and I would have little left after a round and a half.

What is your current or present boxing background (be honest). Also what style of boxer are you?
                  I did well 83 wins 7 losses I won 50 straight amatuer bouts than got bored and quit Robert Coons was my coach and my next step was to fight inter National I was suppose report to Colorodo Springs January 1982 2 year before the olympics and for some reason to this date i don't know why I told Mr Coons I'm not going I quit. I had very fast hands feet and could bang I was taught by a Mexican first that's why I could bang than a black dude so I was taught in and out style similar to a Russian. I went in the Army in 1985 got injured so I was never able to box again so I regret it.

Comment

I've done some backyard scraps with full sparring gear, and other's with nothing but gloves

I've always fought defensively minded and it's worked

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                      I did well 83 wins 7 losses I won 50 straight amatuer bouts than got bored and quit Robert Coons was my coach and my next step was to fight inter National I was suppose report to Colorodo Springs January 1982 2 year before the olympics and for some reason to this date i don't know why I told Mr Coons I'm not going I quit. I had very fast hands feet and could bang I was taught by a Mexican first that's why I could bang than a black dude so I was taught in and out style similar to a Russian. I went in the Army in 1985 got injured so I was never able to box again so I regret it.
                      That's a damn good record. Really sucks you got injured. Was your goal to turn pro at the time?

Comment

Working...
                      X