Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jake Lamotta vs Roy Jones Jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I simulated this fight on fight night round 3 and jones won 3 straight times pretty convincingly.

Comment

Lamotta stops him in the late rounds after brutal punishment to the body.

Comment

Originally posted by BOXING 24/7 View Post
        I simulated this fight on fight night round 3 and jones won 3 straight times pretty convincingly.
        I whip middle weight and and lt heavy rjj with Lamotta all the time on champion.

Comment

Originally posted by ropeadope89 View Post
          Jones was unstoppable at middleweight. Too dang fast. He'd land to many punches the ref would call it. Jake would have his moments, but I got
          Jones by decision.

I'd take Jones by close decision. He couldn't stop Castro in 10, and LaMotta is much better as well as tougher. No way he doesn't see the final ball.

Comment

What about that damn fragile skin!

Assuming LaMotta does not get cut, I would take Jones by 9-6 type decision, Jake as per coming on in the later rounds as Roy lapses a bit thinking he's comfortably ahead.
            I don't think the style matches up well, yes LaMotta had good defence. Better than Toney or Hopkins though?

Hopkins had remote success in the first Jones fight pressuring and kept him on the ropes and tagged him occasionally while he was there. I think a more experienced pressure fighter in LaMotta could also emulate this success only a little bit better. Although, no way he can do it enough to beat Jones in my opinion. Just gets tagged a bit too much coming in for my liking.

Comment

Roy would need to fight without errors because Jake had unbelievable desire to win at any costs. The temperament that LaMotta created just isn't seen today in the more modern day boxer. "Be the Boss be the Boss" wasn't a line in a movie it was Jakes creed!!! Now Roy had the talent and just enough pop to keep Jake off balanced but he'd need to do it for 10 rounds to be a winner. In a championship bout of 15 rounds I think thats asking alot for Roy to accomplish but he did have the skills but would need extreme conditioning to keep Jake honest and off him. Lamotta was an animal in the ring and its safe to say Roy has never seen his likes where as Jake has experienced the greatest fighter ever 5 times!!! Roy Jones was a very talented fighter but he's not Sugarman!! I think he'd be alright finishing the fight upright regardless of the outcome. He just might have a better chance if he was willing to do it again. He'd be way more prepared a second time around! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Roy would need to fight without errors because Jake had unbelievable desire to win at any costs. The temperament that LaMotta created just isn't seen today in the more modern day boxer. "Be the Boss be the Boss" wasn't a line in a movie it was Jakes creed!!! Now Roy had the talent and just enough pop to keep Jake off balanced but he'd need to do it for 10 rounds to be a winner. In a championship bout of 15 rounds I think thats asking alot for Roy to accomplish but he did have the skills but would need extreme conditioning to keep Jake honest and off him. Lamotta was an animal in the ring and its safe to say Roy has never seen his likes where as Jake has experienced the greatest fighter ever 5 times!!! Roy Jones was a very talented fighter but he's not Sugarman!! I think he'd be alright finishing the fight upright regardless of the outcome. He just might have a better chance if he was willing to do it again. He'd be way more prepared a second time around! Ray
                I think Roy could make a few errors, yes he will get hit and exploited but LaMotta doesn't have the power to spark him out even if he hits him cleanly.

Comment

lol @ lamotta via stoppage being out in front.

come now, gentlemen

lamotta had exactly 30 stoppages in over 100 fights
                  he's not a knockout puncher.

roy jones would make him look not only slow, but small. very small

six inches of reach and almost the same in height.
                  roy also was not a career MW, and even fought a H dub once and stilled looked fast at 190 +

roy would keep him off balance and pepper him with shots. lamotta would take them and continue to come forward, obviously, given his chin and abilities as a ring shrinker

he might make a brief rally in the middle to late rounds, especially if they are going 15, but i think lamotta would get almost totally whitewashed on the cards

Comment

The Jones that fought Hopkins would not be able to beat LaMotta. LaMotta fought grueling contests against many of the great black MWs of the era, and did very well, while the champions of the time avoided them all. His low number of knockouts is more reflective of very tough competition than it is of a lack of punching power.
                    In that era the Jones/Hopkins fight would have been a 6 round prelim fight: watch it again. It is not a particularly good fight and neither of them looks all that impressive. LaMotta would easily beat either Jones or Hopkins, as they entered the ring that day.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                      The Jones that fought Hopkins would not be able to beat LaMotta. LaMotta fought grueling contests against many of the great black MWs of the era, and did very well, while the champions of the time avoided them all. His low number of knockouts is more reflective of very tough competition than it is of a lack of punching power.
                      In that era the Jones/Hopkins fight would have been a 6 round prelim fight: watch it again. It is not a particularly good fight and neither of them looks all that impressive. LaMotta would easily beat either Jones or Hopkins, as they entered the ring that day.
                      The excitement level of a fight does not determine its position on a card, secondly Jones looked masterful in that performance and practically was the embodiment of the term hit and not get hit against a very good boxer puncher.

Comment

Working...
                      X