Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Will People Say About Floyd Mayweather Jr. 25 Years Now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    He'll most likely be overrated in time due to his skill level.
    I don't think so. Where do you have him all-time now???

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      I don't think so. Where do you have him all-time now???
      Top 50 somewhere.

Don't have a list but I'd guess between 40-50.

Comment

Top 50 somewhere.

Don't have a list but I'd guess between 40-50.
        I'd say that's good. I'd say around Top 30 or so. I don't know how overrated he can get if he's inside the Top 50.

Comment

I'd say that's good. I'd say around Top 30 or so. I don't know how overrated he can get if he's inside the Top 50.
          Well, if he retired today and was considered amongst the Top 25 ATG's he'd be absolutely overrated.

I can easily see that happening in 25 years when people look back at tapes.

Especially if guys like Hatton, Gatti etc get in the HOF which I expect them to undeservedly do.

Comment

Well, if he retired today and was considered amongst the Top 25 ATG's he'd be absolutely overrated.

I can easily see that happening in 25 years when people look back at tapes.

Especially if guys like Hatton, Gatti etc get in the HOF which I expect them to undeservedly do.
            I don't think he would though.

Castillo and Corrales have a case to get in, based on the standards of the HOF.

I doubt Hatton, Genaro, or Gatti will.

Comment

I don't think he would though.

Castillo and Corrales have a case to get in, based on the standards of the HOF.

I doubt Hatton, Genaro, or Gatti will.
              I can see it happening. People always overrate fighters over time when they look impressive on film. Especially like Mayweather does. He's one of the most skilled and talented fighters in the history of the sport.

Gatti will get in, I'm sure of it. He absolutely should not, but he will.

Can see Hatton getting in aswell. On the same basis McGuigan got in.

Hernandez, Corrales and Castillo I don't think will but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Castillo I think should get in, perhaps. But again I don't think he will.

Comment

I can see it happening. People always overrate fighters over time when they look impressive on film. Especially like Mayweather does. He's one of the most skilled and talented fighters in the history of the sport.

Gatti will get in, I'm sure of it. He absolutely should not, but he will.

Can see Hatton getting in aswell. On the same basis McGuigan got in.

Hernandez, Corrales and Castillo I don't think will but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Castillo I think should get in, perhaps. But again I don't think he will.
                Hatton's win over Tszyu helps him, as would coming bac and possibly winning a few fights, though that will he a tough task for him to get solid wins over Top WW's right now.

I think Castillo is vastly underrated. He beat Bazan, Johnston, J. Diaz, Lazcano, Casamayor, and Corrales at LW. And he arguably beat Floyd. He should get in.

I'll be pissed if Gatti does. And exciting fighter, a decent/solid fighter, but no way no how HOF.

Comment

He will be remembered as a good fighter. After he got a gift against Castillo, he never faced the best available fighters (he avoided Paul Williams and Margarito at 147, never faced Cotto at 140 or 147, now avoiding Pacman). Hard to go down as the greatest, if you avoid the best challenges out there, he should have just stayed at 140 no higher, if he isn't going to fight everyone, when Duran moved up from lightweight, he faced SRL, Hearns (who he should have never faced) and went 15 rounds with Hagler (could Floyd do that?). Floyd is no one near SRL, Hearns, Hagler, Duran level, he would have never fought them if they were in the same era.

Comment

Noone will remember "scared of this" or "ducked that" 25 years from now. He will be labeled as one of the 10 greatest fighters of all time.

Comment

People are going to remember that Floyd and Manny didn't fight. That's all there is to it.

A few will blame it on Floyd and a few will blame it on Manny but everyone will know that they didn't fight each other when they should have. Look at Hagler-Leonard, one group of people remember it as Leonard waiting Hagler out and then stealing rounds and another group Leonard put on a boxing exhibition and fought a good fight.

If people remember events like that to that detail and are still influencing others just imagine what it will look like for Floyd and Manny in 25 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X