No announcement yet.

Exercises for explosive movements

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercises for explosive movements

What are some exercises that would increase you explosive power/speed in boxing, and help out for explosive movements say in basketball if your a point guard.

ask hunna for some excercises sprinters use, i can think of some but 2 hard to explain

Comment

Can't beat power cleans or hang cleans or even the push press for upper body power

Comment

and you only need light-moderate heavy weights i.e. 30-40% 1RM for low reps (6-8)

Comment

WHat are cleans. Can you explain please.

Comment

Originally posted by Calabrese
            WHat are cleans. Can you explain please.
            Have you seen the clean and jerk that they do at the Olympics? This is the first part of the movement.

Start with a barbell on the floor, squat down, keeping your back flat and your chin pointing forward. Then grab the bar with a slightly wider than shoulder-width grip. Using the power of your thighs, pull the bar up to approximately shoulder level with your elbows higher than the bar. Then, flip the bar so it comes to rest on or near the front of your shoulders. The entire lift should be in one fluid motion. Drop your elbows down and back toward your body to let the bar drop in a controlled manner to the floor. Practice with an empty bar 1st.

Comment

Oh ok, I have done cleans before. What else would you suggest? Keep in mind i would rather go old-school and use as little weights as possible? Would you suggest pushups but instead of pushing down pushing up fast and jumping.

Comment

Originally posted by Calabrese
                Oh ok, I have done cleans before. What else would you suggest? Keep in mind i would rather go old-school and use as little weights as possible? Would you suggest pushups but instead of pushing down pushing up fast and jumping.
                Yeah, they're called plyometrics. if u want to just incorporate your bodyweight rather than extra resistance from weights, plyometrics are great for improving explosive power. Plyo push-ups (push ups with a clap) are great as well as burpees (push-up plus a vertical jump into the air. U can do depth jumps off boxes/steps or even just bounding or vertical jumping.

Comment

Working...
                X