Collapse
No announcement yet.

If only boxing was capable of putting on an event like that

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread, I haven't felt that excitement watching a boxing fight in.... well I can't remember the last time a boxing fight excited me that much.

Comment

Boxing this year has been horrible tbh We got Canelo fighitng smith, GGG fighting brook, Pacquaio fighting vargas. All uninteresting fights from the 3 biggest fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hype job View Post
        Great thread, I haven't felt that excitement watching a boxing fight in.... well I can't remember the last time a boxing fight excited me that much.
        Honestly me either. I guess May Pac

I don't even watch UFC often but this was a great card.

Comment

Originally posted by Ham Porter View Post
          It's a defense mechanism from people who'd prefer to bury their heads in the sand as their favourite sport fades further and further into irrelevancy. Just look at the guy I'm responding to in this thread.
          yeah people can say what they want about gate numbers etc, i watched that fight last night with fans who are casual combat sport fans, they absolutely loved that fight, lived up to all the hype, was entertaining. Compare that to the last PPV over here in UK, joshua v breazele lol.
          People feel really short changed with the **** undercards they are getting aswell. People are fed up with knowing who are going to win fights before they have even happened cause its so obvious.
          Ive said it on other threads, if ward v kovalev is a let down then its pretty much the final nail in the coffin.

Comment

In terms of matchmaking, hype and delivery, this UFC card was a huge success. The undercard perfectly built anticipation up to the main event and then that goes and exceeds expectations. The energy and the 'event' feel (just look at all the A-listers in attendance) was something so far removed from boxing nowadays.

It's amazing how even after all this time boxing promoters in the U.S haven't woken up, looked at what the UFC is doing and tried to duplicate that. Only boxing fans will sit around and wait for fights to marinate while the boxers who should be fighting instead charge you for the right to view their next mismatch. That's precisely why boxing's core fanbase continues to dwindle and why we see even two of boxing's best and biggest names like Golovkin & Crawford's producing such pitifully low numbers for unification fights.
            Boxing has and will have huge events. The difference is Boxing is a more precise sport to watch. Over all MMA is harder, but it looks like a simple street fight to most who have never done it. The turnover of top fighters is much greater than boxing because there are more elements to focus on. Both sports are great, but this is a fact any person who has done both with tell you. It's funny 5Hough that MMA promotes so much better but it's best fighters make so much less. The reason is no one can stay on top long enough and the paying public is fickle.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
              get a lot of people on here telling me i should go watch UFC as if thats an insult. Well i would rather watch a replay of mcgregor diaz 2 than watch ward v brand, wilder v arreola, canelo v smith, pacquiao v vargas, spence v bundu etc the fights that the supposedly top boxers are involved in.
              How is Golovkin knocking out outmatched opponents any better?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                Boxing has and will have huge events. The difference is Boxing is a more precise sport to watch. Over all MMA is harder, but it looks like a simple street fight to most who have never done it. The turnover of top fighters is much greater than boxing because there are more elements to focus on. Both sports are great, but this is a fact any person who has done both with tell you. It's funny 5Hough that MMA promotes so much better but it's best fighters make so much less. The reason is no one can stay on top long enough and the paying public is fickle.
                It's not just about producing events, but actually delivering in terms of the product. Mayweather-Pacquiao was a huge event but a resounding failure beyond the revenue it generated.

Comment

It's not just about producing events, but actually delivering in terms of the product. Mayweather-Pacquiao was a huge event but a resounding failure beyond the revenue it generated.
                  And yet it still did immense numbers and revenue. Its easier to make a mega fight in the UFC with guys with far less fights than boxing because you can match styles so much easier. As I said, boxing is a much more discipline sport. Its the same thing, just different degrees of style and skill. MMA has so many variables you can put together great fights all the time, but this guys hardly last at the top level. Its hard to explain. I boxed amateur Do,tyears. When I moved to NC there were no boxing gyms in my area so I started Mauy Thai and MMA. It's just different, and unless you have done both of are COMPLETELY objective it's hard to explain. I'm not slighting you or anyone else, just pointing out what I know through my own experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    And yet it still did immense numbers and revenue. Its easier to make a mega fight in the UFC with guys with far less fights than boxing because you can match styles so much easier. As I said, boxing is a much more discipline sport. Its the same thing, just different degrees of style and skill. MMA has so many variables you can put together great fights all the time, but this guys hardly last at the top level. Its hard to explain. I boxed amateur Do,tyears. When I moved to NC there were no boxing gyms in my area so I started Mauy Thai and MMA. It's just different, and unless you have done both of are COMPLETELY objective it's hard to explain. I'm not slighting you or anyone else, just pointing out what I know through my own experiences.

I pointed out the money it made, but the actual exposure the sport got was terrible because the reaction was all negative. People saw boxing as a joke. The promoters involved could've at least used that soulless, corporate cash-in to advertise their best young talent in meaningful fights and instead they put them in with bums.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      Quit repeating what the UFC media tells you to say. There is NO COMPARISON!!!! People vote with their wallets!!!!!!

This is the 5th highest gate in Vegas

Hopkins vs. Calzaghe blows this out of the water

UFC in Vegas numbers are significantly down

Berto vs. Mayweather did better than this card
                      You won.....

Comment

Working...
                      X