No announcement yet.

Don't deny it, PBF's bad guy persona is good for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bhopreign View Post
    Paulie Malignaggi is a close 2nd. Without his mouth he would possibly still be fighting on ESPN, but his mouth has illusioned people to think he is more talented than he really is. He would have never gotten a Cotto fight had he not been so talkative although having DiBella helps tremendously.
    Good point. Paulie was good at promoting himself and building a fan base. But his fights were boring as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by koboy View Post
      I'm not sure about fighting the best. I think that's part of him being the smartest man in boxing because he manages to avoids the mandatories and top fighters in his division, while still claiming to be the best. This is the one true knock on PBF.

The verdict about fighting the best is still out there. Will he do it? I don't know. Personally, I don't think so. He'll probably make some more money and then quit.
      When I say the best I mean Pac, Cotto and Mosley, those are top guys out there at the moment that people are calling him to fight.

Comment

You just proved my point. David Haye didn't belong in the ring with either Klitschkos but made them consider him an opponent. Both Klitschkos agreed to fight Haye for a title. The same Haye who had only one fight at HW and he's already fighting for the title. David Haye could be the 2nd smartest man in boxing.
        I actually was trying to prove your point....
        But just like Floyd....he didin't ACTUALLY FIGHT the ELITE.....and look at everyone's perception of Haye now.
        And please stop with the "are you riding in a maybach?" "Flippin boats?" "Flyin in a G5?" bull****. All that **** would get repo'd if we the FANS ever decided not to fork over $44.95 for his 12 round sparring sessions.

Comment

This man is a marketing genius. He knew that if he didn't play the heel, no one would watch his fights. He took to the part like fish to water and has never looked back. He is actually a professional inside the ring and very gracious in post fight conferences.

His act is unique and generates alot of interest in his fights. Half of the people who bought his fights probably wanted to see him lose and ko'd. And the more he keeps winning, the more fans want to see him lose. Brillant.

PBF is the smartest man in boxing.
          PBF doesnt have a "bad guy" image...Mike Tyson had a "bad guy" image...PBF is a cornball.....

Comment

PBF is like marmite, ppl either love him or hate him, love watchin him box or hate him n want him to get KTFO..
            bit like prince naz and ali in his time...
            wat they all hav in common is that they can trash talk n back it up in da ring, thats why they'll b remembered

Comment

I think, by now, he understands his role in the fight world. Who doesn't want to be a hero? But rather than implode and self-destruct like other fighters have after not acheiving what they wanted or gain the fame that they wanted in the fight game, he actually re-invented himself and found a way to play the role and actually make money off of being a bad guy. It takes a strong person to accept this and actually be successful at it. Of course, he still longs for that hero attention but I think he knows he will never get it. But watch the post fight conferences, just for a few minutes, Floyd's graciousness elevates him to hero for some. Just for a few minutes, though.
              in an interview a few months back, someone asked floyd about being the villian and floyd chafed at the question.

floyd honestly does not understand that he has some character flaws that make him unlikable. instead he blames others (hbo, other blacks, the media, etc...) for his lack of adoration.

floyd is as clueless as kanye.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhopreign View Post
                By the way youre putting is almost as if Floyd is afraid of Pacquiao, which is kinda funny.
                He wouldn't be fighting JMM if he was scared of Manny. I think Manny's an easier fight for Floyd than JMM. I didn't say he was going to win against Manny, but I think it would be easier than fighting JMM, who is one of the smartest boxer inside the ring.

Let's not confuse PBF's cherrypicking opponents with fear. It's just being smart and make the most money at the shortest period of time. Isn't this what we all strive for? Early retirement. Smartest in boxing, I tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                  in an interview a few months back, someone asked floyd about being the villian and floyd chafed at the question.

floyd honestly does not understand that he has some character flaws that make him unlikable. instead he blames others (hbo, other blacks, the media, etc...) for his lack of adoration.

floyd is as clueless as kanye.
                  What makes you think he is telling the truth everytime he talks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                    pbf's "money" persona is good for boxing, but bad for floyd.

floyd wants to be the hero so bad and can't understand why people don't like him.
                    I wouldn't put it like that. He consciously runs his mouth, following the blueprint of Ali. Hell in his mind, he is as BIG as Ali was back in the day. He sure as hell knows, that's what got him PAID against Delahoya & Hatton, his arrogance.

But then again, I wouldn't call him a genius either like he orchestrated all of this with a clear mind. Clearly he is a bit insecure and gets his feelings hurt every now and then like Post-Baldomir fight. The thread starter shouldn't pretend like Mayweather is this big genius who is immune to all the criticism because he is just acting out his persona....HE IS STILL A MICHAEL JACKSON-ESQUE KID LIVING IN A 32 YEAR OLD'S BODY.

Comment

He wouldn't be fighting JMM if he was scared of Manny. I think Manny's an easier fight for Floyd than JMM. I didn't say he was going to win against Manny, but I think it would be easier than fighting JMM, who is one of the smartest boxer inside the ring.

Let's not confuse PBF's cherrypicking opponents with fear. It's just being smart and make the most money at the shortest period of time. Isn't this what we all strive for? Early retirement. Smartest in boxing, I tell you.
                      Yes you're right, BUT he didn't comeback from retirement just for JMM. He picked JMM because he was Pacquiao's biggest foe.

This is the problem with some of you, JMM gave Pacquiao fits in both fights. JMM is on Pacquiao's level and has proven it. Mayweather is using Marquez as a bargaining chip to negotiate a fight against Pacquiao. He can say, I beat Marquez more convincingly than Pac did. He also can use the PPV numbers and compare them to JMM-Pacquiao PPV's, however that's not going so well.

Comment

Working...
                      X