Problems shadow boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems shadow boxing

Hello fellas,

Been having problems shadow boxing recently regarding visualization. A couple weeks ago I did not have this problem, I've been temporarily been unable to spar for the last few weeks and wondering if this could be part of the problem somehow. I can't seem to consistently and sustain a visualization of an opponent in front of me, it's been quite frustrating. Wondering if you guys had any tips.

Cheers.

I would have thought after sparring for some time you would more automatically visualise realistic scenario (like opponent). Used to feel that way for me.

I never really put too much stock in visualising an opponent during shadow because they kind of do what you want them to anyway lol. You should include your defensive manauevers you would use during shadow boxing anyway as I believe Shadow is more for programming the movements of boxing so that they become more natural and balanced.

I do a few different kinds of shadow. Basically little sprint-style burst of shadow for pure handspeed (and foot speed because I do a little step w/each punch.) These actually tax me anaerobically somewhat at such intensity. I also do a measured pace and constant kind of shadow which I find important to program not just the movements naturally and the footwork but also because it is slower it allows for creativity!! THIS creative shadow I think mimics best a real opponent because it allows me to use the full repertoire of movements etc against an imagined threat/target that wouldn't be simulated during fast shadow boxing.

Finally I have also done more "normal" shadow boxing of combinations, move and repeat as is standard in amateur boxing. But I felt the need to differentiate into the 2 other forms which represent different aspects in my opinion.

That's about as constructive a response as I can give new fella.

Comment

Get a shadow partner, hang a towel down from something (door way, fan etc.) and use it as a focal point. Shadow with a heavy bag.
      You don't need to visualize anything, get into a full length mirror and check your form from feet seperation (distance) to elbows down to head straight, chin down hand position etc.......
      Ray.

Comment

It sounds like your over thinking it.

Just let your hands go and keep your feet moving.

Personally, I use to picture a fly, flying around, and I would try to chase it around the ring and hit it.

A lot of people shadow box but they don't picture an actual target, IMO this makes you very inaccurate.

Comment

Working...
        X