No announcement yet.

First Fight(Video)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fight(Video)

I've been boxing for a couple of months and I had my first fight last Saturday, which I won(Three 1:30 rounds). I thought that maybe people who were more experienced could give me a few pointers, as I'd like to improve on pretty much every aspect.

The fight was against another guy from my club, who were staging a night in a local hotel.

Here are a few things that I noticed that I could improve on:
    1) Straighter Posture(I was leaning over too much.)
    2) Could've kept my hands a bit higher at times.
    3) Could've been a bit more aggressive.
    4) Should've thrown more.
    5) Footwork was awkward at times.

If anyone would like to elaborate on any of those or point out something else I could improve upon, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if anyone has any stylistic advice for me that'd be great.

I'm in the Blue Corner by the way. And skip in to about 2:15 to miss the intros(also, sorry about the poor quality.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ATdq9iv5i8

Thanks.

hey congrdaz on your first fight and stepping in the ring...

something i noticed im sure more people can add more

one was like you mentioned your posture and i really didn't see any slippping or feet work.

I like how you came out in the second round and followed with a nice 1-2 combo..i think you could of classically outboxed your opponent because he was wild and throwing looping shots.
    You both circled to your left setting your self up for the others power hands...but the third round you caught him again i see with a big 1-2 and over hand right...i think the perfect fight was to keep that guy at bay and use your jab and fight behind the jab because you were doing a gob job and most effective when you foght behind it,had the the reach and he could not counter off of it, when you guys were in the middle of the ring it was your fight ,you were landing some good shots in the third...your opponent really needs a critique..when he closed the distance he would just throw these looping arm punches lol and hop around he was perfect for counter hooks inside and out ..infact you could of pulled back at one point and i think he would of still been throwing combos at AIR lol ...other then that from what i seen just keep your guard up a little more,pop that jab and dont fight the other guys fight ,especially a guy like that who was wild and all over the place ,he was a perfect example to put a little clininc on,work on your angles and defense,keep the guard up and work behind that jab..not bad for a first fight. Good job
    Last edited by major handz; 11-23-2011, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Cheers, dude.....Yeah, the slipping thing is definitely also an issue. I read an article on here that said the more fights you have, the more you're able to anticipate punches coming at you, which I was barely able to do. That's why I could only really block, which wasn't too difficult because he was just throwing mad shots.

After that fight, I just wanna get into the ring again! Although I have a lot of work to do, so I'll probably wait a couple of months, so I can improve. Thanks again for the reply, man.

Comment

congratulations on the win. how long have you been training for before this fight and what weigh class were you?

Comment

Originally posted by OldMoney91 View Post
          congratulations on the win. how long have you been training for before this fight and what weigh class were you?
          Thanks, man.....I've been training for about 2 or 3 months and I weigh about 12 stone(76kg). We didn't really do a weigh-in for the fight because he just matched us off from the same club, so we were similiar in weight, though i probably had a few pounds on him.

I didn't really do any sports before I took up boxing, but I knew that i'd be able to commit to training because it's I've always loved watching it and have been into analyzing it and stuff.

Comment

first off congrats and job well done....most of what u noticed u need to work on just comes with time and repetition...itl be easy after a few more months...the biggest thing I noticed...and lot of young fighters do this...is your jab...while u popped it well and used it pretty nicely....notice.....u throw the jab from your chin(well) however you do not bring it str8 back. you pop the jab then your hand comes back to your waste, then back up to fight stance...make sure the jab goes str8 out, then str8 back in on the same line it went out......a good counterpuncher will notice that and start catchen ur jabs and throwen the right hand right back while u have no guard there....

Comment

Originally posted by kbpoetree View Post
              first off congrats and job well done....most of what u noticed u need to work on just comes with time and repetition...itl be easy after a few more months...the biggest thing I noticed...and lot of young fighters do this...is your jab...while u popped it well and used it pretty nicely....notice.....u throw the jab from your chin(well) however you do not bring it str8 back. you pop the jab then your hand comes back to your waste, then back up to fight stance...make sure the jab goes str8 out, then str8 back in on the same line it went out......a good counterpuncher will notice that and start catchen ur jabs and throwen the right hand right back while u have no guard there....

Thanks very much, man. That kind of advice about the jab is exactly why I put the video up here. I didn't notice it myself until you said it. I'll definitely start working on it in training and sparring.

Comment

Quality man. That guy you fought was wired on adrenaline! ha! As the rounds went on he got knackered and you got accurate. Good effort. Not much advice, you'll hopefully get plenty from other more experienced guys. just wanted to say fair play for doing it.

Comment

Working...
                X