Whats the best Boxing school Rite now.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
    What is a UK style?

The only gym with a definitive style are the Ingles. Even then Brook is pretty orthodox.
    I think it's a generalization for what they call "european style" : straight up, hands high, lots of jabs followed by the straight. Kessler is a good example of that style.

Many UK fighters though don't fight like that at all , Naseem Hamed , David Haye , Hatton and Froch for instance have a very different style.

As for the best school , at the moment I'd say Cuba. One has to consider the population of a country, and Cuba is very small.

US, Mexico and Eastern Europe are very huge places in comparison, and while boxing in the US might be declining I still don't see this Eastern Europe domination.

Comment

Bit of a weird question as there aren't great schools of boxing in the world, just gyms, often run by ex-fighters with different styles getting taught there. I'm guessing some people with limited knowledge on boxing will think the US school is the slick, counter puncher style with good defense and the Eastern European "school" is up right, fight behind a high guard and jab...it's not. There are brawlers and slicksters from all sides, especially Cuba and Mexico.

But in terms of domination in the sport now and future potential based on region, I'd rate em like this:

Eastern Europe
      Mexico
      Japan (everything south of 140 lol)
      UK
      US
      Cuba

The fighters from former soviet states are dominating to varying degrees, everything from 154 and up wards whereas Mexicans are having a bit of a revival, I'm including American born Mexicans in this too lol

The UK in recent years has had a solid run of producing some decent heavyweight and AJ is a great new addition, not to mention fighters sprinkled everywhere from superbantam to cruiser, with many more to come in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
        I think it's a generalization for what they call "european style" : straight up, hands high, lots of jabs followed by the straight. Kessler is a good example of that style.

Many UK fighters though don't fight like that at all , Naseem Hamed , David Haye , Hatton and Froch for instance have a very different style.

As for the best school , at the moment I'd say Cuba. One has to consider the population of a country, and Cuba is very small.

US, Mexico and Eastern Europe are very huge places in comparison, and while boxing in the US might be declining I still don't see this Eastern Europe domination.
        Agreed. The only British fighter I can think of with a real upright European style would be Brian Rose who got comfortably wrecked by Andrade.

Comment

Cuba.

america is a huge country and eastern europe is several big countries, all in all a huge part of the world. cuba is one tiny island that has produced a constant flow of world class fighters for decades.

their school is simply the best, the knowledge and culture for boxing on that island is something truly special.

i would say USA is second ahead of eastern europe on the criteria that america produces a wider style of fighters. even though the eastern european school has evolved, many of their fighters still follow the same blueprint and its a flawed one at that. mexico is similar in that regard.

japan isnt to be underestimate either, but since the entire east asian area basically struggles to create world class fighters in the higher divisions the shortage of sparring partners for many fighters is a big factor in hampering their development. a true powerhouse would produce top notch fighters in a range of sizes.

edit: britain looks to be improving in recent years, i want to see more prolonged success at top level before including them with the very best though. atm they still mainly produce a great quantity of good fighters who mostly fall short at the very highest level imo.
          Last edited by #1Assassin; 11-01-2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X