Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Can't Dana White Quit Talking About Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Why Can't Dana White Quit Talking About Boxing?

Can someone please tell me? The guy was one ESPN again and yet again brought up boxing, and that boxing is like horse racing now and MMA is way bigger.

Everytime he gets espn air time he brings up boxing in some form or another? Any MMA fans want to explain?

Because it's competition for his company.

Comment

Promoters gonna promote. I don't see what the big deal is. All promoters are scumbags and will do anything to boost their numbers. Why you are surprised is the real mystery..

Comment

Originally posted by Red Slider View Post
        Can someone please tell me? The guy was one ESPN again and yet again brought up boxing, and that boxing is like horse racing now and MMA is way bigger.

Everytime he gets espn air time he brings up boxing in some form or another? Any MMA fans want to explain?
        Boxing ppl talking about MMA more than the other way around.

And Dana White was an amateur boxer and has been a boxing fan his whole life. He still watches most of the big boxing PPV's. Even on days when there is a UFC event he'll watch a boxing fight before he goes out to his own UFC event.

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
          Boxing ppl talking about MMA more than the other way around.

And Dana White was an amateur boxer and has been a boxing fan his whole life. He still watches most of the big boxing PPV's. Even on days when there is a UFC event he'll watch a boxing fight before he goes out to his own UFC event.
          BAM exactly. The better question is why do boxing fans obsess about MMA and take every chance they can to bash it on Internet forums or in the media? If you don't like it, don't watch it. How hard is that? It's like people that call up a radio show to tell the host(s) that they don't like the show. Then why are you listening to it? Change the station, that's why there's more than one channel on TVs and radios and with cable options there being so many choices and even channel blocking options, there really is no excuse for this crap anymore. The only reason to talk about something you don't like is if someone asks you about it. I hate most of the popular shows on TV these days but you won't see me wasting my time complaining about it.

Comment

The funny thing is a lot of these MMA guys talk about Boxing like it is was in between 2008-2012. Since then we have the seen the rise of Canelo, LHW - Stevenson/Kovalev, Broner, GGG, HW slowly building up and so on.

You got Groves v Froch doing like 60k+ at Wembley and there is demand for more tickets. Canelo vs Trout did like 35k?, Khan v Brook could sell out a stadium in the UK, Mayweather and Pac still here.

Boxing has FAR bigger match ups available. Let's see how well the UFC does, if they have only one big fight per card. Boxing does that and still does decent numbers. Their latest Fox Card BOMBED despite it being pretty stacked. The UFC has no huge stars on a Pac or Mayweather level. I'd say Canelo is on a similar level in terms of PPV to Rousey/Jones/Cain but in terms of a following, he is far beyond them and he's only like 23? Jones is in his late 20's, Cain is in his early 30's and injured most of the time, Rousey is in her mid/late 20's and said she only plans on doing MMA for a few more years. GSP is retired, Silva probably has like a fight or two left in him.

Follow Luke Thomas, hes the BEST MMA journalist. The smartest imo and he's not a Zuffa shill either.

Comment

Originally posted by hayZ View Post
              The funny thing is a lot of these MMA guys talk about Boxing like it is was in between 2008-2012. Since then we have the seen the rise of Canelo, LHW - Stevenson/Kovalev, Broner, GGG, HW slowly building up and so on.

You got Groves v Froch doing like 60k+ at Wembley and there is demand for more tickets. Canelo vs Trout did like 35k?, Khan v Brook could sell out a stadium in the UK, Mayweather and Pac still here.

Boxing has FAR bigger match ups available. Let's see how well the UFC does, if they have only one big fight per card. Boxing does that and still does decent numbers. Their latest Fox Card BOMBED despite it being pretty stacked. The UFC has no huge stars on a Pac or Mayweather level. I'd say Canelo is on a similar level in terms of PPV to Rousey/Jones/Cain but in terms of a following, he is far beyond them and he's only like 23? Jones is in his late 20's, Cain is in his early 30's and injured most of the time, Rousey is in her mid/late 20's and said she only plans on doing MMA for a few more years. GSP is retired, Silva probably has like a fight or two left in him.

Follow Luke Thomas, hes the BEST MMA journalist. The smartest imo and he's not a Zuffa shill either.
              Stevenson/Kovalev is probably not going to happen and that just sums up how big of a joke boxing is today, although I still love it so I'm not bashing it, I'm just saying that out of frustration. Broner's days are numbered & the HW division is still embarrassing. As for Mayweather vs Pacquiao... do I even need to say anything?

MMA isn't as lively as it was a couple of years ago, but it's still big, make no mistake. I personally feel that it reached its peak, with guys like Silva, Fedor, GSP & Jones. MMA will never be accepted as a truly legit sport like boxing.

And GSP is actually highly likely to return. (just saying)

Comment

Originally posted by Red Slider View Post

lol I just finished watching Dana's ESPN appearance that you're talking about. First off, Dana didn't bring up boxing. Stephen A and Bayless brought it up. And Dana didn't say anything wrong. He said ppl don't pay attention to the smaller boxing matches but when theres a big one, everyone shows up to watch. It wasn't a diss.

And Skip Bayless is the one who brought up the numbers that MMA has surpassed Boxing in popularity, Dana just took that info and ran with it. But Dana brought up factual info also to support his claims....Like UFC being #1 among key male demographics on tv which is the truth.

You like your boxing so just keep watching it. Nobody is hating on boxing so stop trying to look for the hate. The only hate comes from boxing fans against mma.

Comment

Red Slider bringing all this drama into the MMA section. Continue on sucking off Maidana like he's the greatest brawler in history.

Comment

So MMA fans are saying only Boxing fans are bringing this debate up and Boxing fans are saying the same about MMA fans. Very objective on both sides.

The truth is, both fan bases are the laughing stocks of combat sports. They are mostly compiled of the most pathetic bunch of youngsters I've seen. There's so much immaturity and mud slinging from the fans in both sports and the internet reflects on that behavior quite clearly.

But they're still an important demograph for the sports which is why people like Dana White bait these fools with media statements like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X