Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dangerous is all the pesticides, hormones, chemicals etc in our food?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Food for thought; "advanced" countries that use more processing, food science, and commercial farming (including pesticides, GMOs, etc) such as the USA, UK, CAN, AU, Norway, Denmark, and France, [URL="http://blog.dana-farber.org/insight/2014/06/which-countries-have-the-highest-and-lowest-cancer-rates/"]have the HIGHEST cancer rates[/URL].

The lowest are mostly agrarian, poor, African countries.

I'm sure it's more than just food but if we are to draw conclusions and connect the dots, it makes sense to start with the things we are putting directly into our bodies. Large farms aim to produce the largest, most attractive foods possible because this is how a farm makes it's money. Nutrition is not a consideration and if you've tried both, you know that organic/small farm foods tend to be far more flavorful because they have a higher/more varied nutritional content. It's recently been proven that organic foods even have a higher omega 3 content.

I used to be dismissive of such things, even after I studied nutrition and dietary management in school. Now, in my 30's I'm coming to terms with the fact that everything we do now has a consequence someday. My diet is around 50% organic now and less than 5% of what I eat is pre-prepared. After doing this for the past year I can honestly say that my energy is up, as is my mood, and I eat a LOT less (probably because the food I'm eating now has a better nutrient profile and I'm not always hungry).

If you're interested in the subject, I believe Jamie Oliver has books/videos that will get you on the right track. He strikes me as someone who, like myself, encourages proper nutrition and quality food sources but is very pragmatic and doesn't take it over the top.
    Mostly due to superior record keeping and diagnosis, and half of the Western world being alcoholics and/or obese.

Modern foods are extremely safe. Safer than Organic food even.
    Last edited by Furn; 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

The fact of the matter is that most of the favorite foods of the health nut crowd have more natural pesticides in them then vegetables on the whole. Your best organic crops are that way because of the high amount of natural pesticide.

99.99% of pesticides consumed are natural.

http://www.pnas.org/content/87/19/7777.full.pdf
      Dietary pesticides (99.99% all natural)

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
        As a scientist I can tell you that its perfectly safe. The trace amounts of these things found n food are many times below proven safe levels.

These things are worked out by some of the smartest people in the world.

The scaremonging by sites like naturalnews its just to sell you their BS placebo products and the ignorant housewives eat it up.

“Let me be clear about one thing, the organic label is a marketing tool. It is not a statement about food safety. Nor is ‘organic’ a value judgment about nutrition or quality.”

USDA Secretary Dan Glickman
        As a scientist, you're intellectually bankrupt. If you truly have any interest in the truth, find the recent studies about organic foods containing higher levels of omega 3s. But, don't stop there.
        One of the greatest things that is overlooked by those too cheap, lazy, or apathetic to improve their diets is that many organic farms follow practices that result in foods of a higher nutritional content that is lower in larger commercial farms.

Again, it's whether you care about the truth. It does me no pleasure to spend extra, take longer in preparing, drive further to purchase, spend hours gardening, etc but after years of knowing this info from school and work, I finally just came to terms with the truth. And, I'll be damned if it didn't actually change my overall health.

Comment

As a scientist, you're intellectually bankrupt. If you truly have any interest in the truth, find the recent studies about organic foods containing higher levels of omega 3s. But, don't stop there.
          One of the greatest things that is overlooked by those too cheap, lazy, or apathetic to improve their diets is that many organic farms follow practices that result in foods of a higher nutritional content that is lower in larger commercial farms.

Again, it's whether you care about the truth. It does me no pleasure to spend extra, take longer in preparing, drive further to purchase, spend hours gardening, etc but after years of knowing this info from school and work, I finally just came to terms with the truth. And, I'll be damned if it didn't actually change my overall health.
          The study funded by the organic milk industry that did no original research but just hand picked previous studies ?

That one ?

I'll follow my own actual research thanks, i was a co author on the Commonwealth Scientific Research and Industry Organisations total well-being diet. Part of that was to review 238 independent studies on the benefits of organic food. I did just that every day for almost 2 years and there simply is no helath benefit whatsoever. Only some occasional higher levels of some nutrients such as flavonoids in tomatoes and antioxidants, however this is due to the fruit being diseased.

There is however higher levels of bacteria and parasites in organic livestock and fecal matter in fruit and vegetables. Some studies found have found as much as 25% of organic livestock will have pnuemonia at anyone time.

You might also want to google the organic pesticide Rotenone.

If organic food was really better for you then why all the black ops marketing, scare-tactics, misinformation, conspiracy theories and dodgy studies ?
          Last edited by Furn; 04-18-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I'll follow my own actual research thanks, i was a co author on the Commonwealth Scientific Research and Industry Organisations total well-being diet. Part of that was to review 238 independent studies on the benefits of organic food. I did just that every day for almost 2 years and there simply is no helath benefit whatsoever. Only some occasional higher levels of some nutrients such as flavonoids in tomatoes and antioxidants, however this is due to the fruit being diseased.

There is however higher levels of bacteria and parasites in organic livestock and fecal matter in fruit and vegetables. Some studies found have found as much as 25% of organic livestock will have pnuemonia at anyone time.

If organic food was really better for you then why all the black ops marketing, scare-tactics, misinformation, conspiracy theories and dodgy studies ?
            Oh, so you've been bought and sold.

As far as black op marketing and scare-tactics, I agree! It's sickening. Especially when they sell angles that make no difference, like whey-protein from grass-fed cows as being better, when the benefits of grass-fed don't make it into the isolated whey.
            In general, I can't stand those hippie doucebags that are typically associated with the whole foods movement, which is partially why I resisted it for so long. But, to make a boxing analogy, just because many Golovkin fans are insufferable doesn't make the guy himself a bad boxer.

Part of the problem with research in this area is that it uses an "all other thingsequal" scenario to reduce variables. But, the variables here are part of the equation. Many of the smaller farms do produce food of a higher nutritional content, not just because it's organic, but because of other practices involved. You can literally taste the difference. There are many organic products in which I don't think there is much benefit at all and I don't bother with those. So, we might not disagree as much as it seems.

I usually never look up quotes fo rthe sake of boxingscene arguments but for those who are genuinely interested;

NYT article on Stanford studies;
            Organic produce has lower levels of pesticide residue than conventional fruits and vegetables.

Debunking that organic does not have more nutritional value, Organic/Omega 3 study;

Organic milk and meat contain about 50 percent more beneficial omega-3 fatty acids than conventionally produced equivalents, according to a pair of large-scale studies published Tuesday.

Previous research has linked omega-3 with reduced rates of cardiovascular disease, improved neurological development, and better immune function.

A team of two dozen researchers led by Carlo Leifert, a professor at Newcastle University in England, combed through nearly 200 peer-reviewed studies on milk, and 67 on meat.

They found clear differences between organic and non-organic products, especially when it came to omega-3.

"Western European diets are recognized as being too low in these fatty acids, and the European Food Safety Authority recommends we should double our intake," said co-author Chris Seal, also from Newcastle University.

"Our study suggests that switching to organic would go some way towards improving intakes of these important nutrients."
            Last edited by Redd Foxx; 04-18-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

The study funded by the organic milk industry that did no original research but just hand picked previous studies ?

That one ?

Go to lowes, buy some roundup, take home, spray said roundup directly in your mouth, report results back here.

Idiot

Comment

“Let me be clear about one thing, the organic label is a marketing tool. It is not a statement about food safety. Nor is ‘organic’ a value judgment about nutrition or quality.”

USDA Secretary Dan Glickman
                You can't use quotes from the USDA (or FDA for that matter) as if they are coming from an objective, unbiased source.

Sadly both agencies are full of former Monsanto executives or lobbyists. And it's clear that their actions are now based more on the influence of the big biotech companies than on promoting health and safety.

Comment

Food for thought; "advanced" countries that use more processing, food science, and commercial farming (including pesticides, GMOs, etc) such as the USA, UK, CAN, AU, Norway, Denmark, and France, have the HIGHEST cancer rates.

The lowest are mostly agrarian, poor, African countries.

I'm sure it's more than just food but if we are to draw conclusions and connect the dots, it makes sense to start with the things we are putting directly into our bodies. Large farms aim to produce the largest, most attractive foods possible because this is how a farm makes it's money. Nutrition is not a consideration and if you've tried both, you know that organic/small farm foods tend to be far more flavorful because they have a higher/more varied nutritional content. It's recently been proven that organic foods even have a higher omega 3 content.

I used to be dismissive of such things, even after I studied nutrition and dietary management in school. Now, in my 30's I'm coming to terms with the fact that everything we do now has a consequence someday. My diet is around 50% organic now and less than 5% of what I eat is pre-prepared. After doing this for the past year I can honestly say that my energy is up, as is my mood, and I eat a LOT less (probably because the food I'm eating now has a better nutrient profile and I'm not always hungry).

If you're interested in the subject, I believe Jamie Oliver has books/videos that will get you on the right track. He strikes me as someone who, like myself, encourages proper nutrition and quality food sources but is very pragmatic and doesn't take it over the top.
                  I'm pretty careful about what I eat and understand what you are saying but the thing is...whatever is the cause of health related death in the African countries...which incidentally all have the lowest life expediencies in the world...these are Countries that have the least diagnosed causes of death due to the lack of health care.

In far greater incidences...when someone dies in Africa due to illness...it's at home and that person would have received very little medical attention and the cause of death would not have been known or investigated. So deaths due to cancer or anything else in Africa are not accurately tallied by any stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
                    Go to lowes, buy some roundup, take home, spray said roundup directly in your mouth, report results back here.

Idiot
                    Go to. University, do a degree in biochemistry, read the study below, report results.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10854122/

Or maybe Go get 30 litres of water and drink it, report results here.

Why do conventional farmers, exposed to these evil chemicals have amongst the lowest rates of cancer and highest life expectancy of any occupation ?

Why have rates of stomach cancer, the most likely cancer caused by food ingestion, fallen dramatically over the last 50 years ?

Go get an education maybe ? And not from Facebook or naturalnews.

Start with the first rule of toxicology.
                    Last edited by Furn; 04-19-2016, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Ah yes the great organic myth.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...rd-818585.html

Amazing how many people fall for the nature pseudoscience BS.

Not surprisingly a recent study has shown those types are of low intelligence.

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientis...ophical-quotes

Comment

Working...
                      X