Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigger Gloves Allow Punches To Be Loaded Up On More...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
    Ridiculous as he is, Star Dust has made the correct point.

But there are 2 ways of looking at this.

First, it makes physical sense and it has been proven that the force of a punch between big gloves and light gloves is exactly the same. The extra weight of the glove is nullified by the reduced speed and vice verse. But more importantly, the force of a big gloved punch is not diminished it is just spread more evenly over the target but is essentially the same.

It's proven that modern boxers with bigger more padded gloves suffer MORE extensive brain damage (not less) as a result of the above. This is of course because the boxers can withstand many more shots before they become disabled (by loss of consciousness almost exclusively now.

Score for you guys who want gloves reduced.

BUT..

The other side of the coin is that the smaller the gloves, the greater the structural damage. Skin, joints, muscle, connective tissue, bone. When boxers were barefisted or had very small gloves, fights were stopped earlier and therefore there was much less brain damage. However the horrific injuries sustained in those periods were EXACTLY WHAT PROMPTED bigger gloves in the first place! (whether speaking of hands or head interchangeably or even serious body damage)

Boxing is ALWAYS going to be a dangerous sport and it's always gonna be frowned on by the medical community (except me, I love it LOL). But do you really want to go back to those times? Let me tell you they cannot. Because if ppl saw those types of injuries today in the 21st Century, Boxing would not survive, it'd be shut down. Mutilated heads and hands and ribs are unacceptable now days in society. There would be an immediate push for bigger gloves again. Brain damage is the price to pay sure, but that is a long term and more unseen danger that doesn't immediately shock ppl. Like smoking! I hope you all understand!
    **** off: The adults are talking now and it's time for ignant kiddies like yourself to go play on the freeway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
      **** off: The adults are talking now and it's time for ignant kiddies like yourself to go play on the freeway.
      As always I provided evidence based solid reasoning for both sides of argument. And am met with this sort of hostility? Let's keep it to the thread topic ey. I've no interest in your personal issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
        That's why boxing gloves were invented in the first place: Not to protect the guy getting punched, but to protect the hands of the guy doing the punching
        Stop making sense.... Cause that happens to be the truth. And evidence bares this out: there are countless tales of injury when boxers are involved in a street fight and a good deal of them are to the hand.....

I told this story here a while ago. When I was a bouncer I watched a brou haha at a neighboring club involving a pipsqueak and two steriod laden mentally deficient bouncers...When it was all over the pipsqueak walked away clean and the two mentally challenged sustained serious injury. First mental giant goes and takes a good swing at the pipsqueak, pipsqueak like any normal individual ducks, where upon bouncer's hand catches parking meter....Broken hand...meanwhile mental giant number two attempts to jump up behind mental giant #1 pipsqueak simply watches as mental giant number two falls over mental giant numbet one, while punching, punching hand hits sidewalk....second broken hand of the evening results. I also witnessed during an attempted hit, one of our guys broke his hand hitting one of the contract killers (long story) where the guys gun was (his jacket pocket). Broken hand...

A good deal of martial arts training involves punching in such a way that the hand is kept in a position where it will not break.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
          As always I provided evidence based solid reasoning for both sides of argument. And am met with this sort of hostility? Let's keep it to the thread topic ey. I've no interest in your personal issues.
          Actually? thats the first time that I ever saw you provide evidence....I have read virtually all your posts in this section. I want to encourage you minus the insults to continue to provide evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Bigger gloves diminish your hand speed and torque. And that's a big part of power punching.

they also spread an impact out over a greater space, which slows the rate of acceleration of your target.

TS:

i have a set of 20 OZ gloves, and a set of freaking 24 oz. i used to use them on the heavy bag, but mostly just to fool around and wail on the thing.

i also have 16 oz sparring gloves, and a set of 12 oz bag gloves. put the 24 oz on and tell me with a straight face that you can knock somebody out easier with them than you can with my 16 oz lace up glove .

iwon't even compare them to a 10 oz, horse hair glove

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              they also spread an impact out over a greater space, which slows the rate of acceleration of your target.

TS:

i have a set of 20 OZ gloves, and a set of freaking 24 oz. i used to use them on the heavy bag, but mostly just to fool around and wail on the thing.

i also have 16 oz sparring gloves, and a set of 12 oz bag gloves. put the 24 oz on and tell me with a straight face that you can knock somebody out easier with them than you can with my 16 oz lace up glove .

iwon't even compare them to a 10 oz, horse hair glove
              If you are talking under fighting conditions, you might have something to argue New England. Hitting hard involves speed, timing and accuracy to deliver the shots flush, otherwise they don't have the same impact. I can envision this being greatly hampered by larger gloves.

However when it comes to hitting a stationary target for testing purposes the results are conclusive that the size of glove makes little to no difference in fact.

I assume you know this anyway and have factored it into your analysis.

Comment

So what I've gotten from this is big gloves suck but so do little ones and that basically that's just how it's gonna be. Side thought wouldn't mind seeing them give 6 ounce gloves 154 and below and 8 ounce 160 and higher

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
                  So what I've gotten from this is big gloves suck but so do little ones and that basically that's just how it's gonna be. Side thought wouldn't mind seeing them give 6 ounce gloves 154 and below and 8 ounce 160 and higher
                  I'd be interested in what a survey of the top boxing trainers indicated. Trainers would seem to be in an ideal position to know what is best for the fighters and the fights.

Comment

Originally posted by MRBOOMER View Post
                    wouldn't mind seeing them give 6 ounce gloves 154 and below and 8 ounce 160 and higher
                    Don't know great deal about gloves and dates of size changes, but California law mid-50's had it that any fighter over 147 pounds had to wear eight-ouncers.

Comment

Working...
                    X