Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roberto Duran vs SRR at Welterweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everyone who thinks size is an issue in this fight, check out bassilio whoop that ass...

and Obama, i disagree, Duran defintly won the brawl in montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
      I agree, i dont even think Duran was a great 154 pounder, he got outfoxed by Laing and Benitez and had a tough tough fight with Nino Gonzalez that was very close , he did'nt look comfortable at the weight against Nino Gonzalez or Luigi Minchillo, he had his problems with Luigi Minchillo early to, didn't Davey Moore have a limited amount of fights when Duran beat him ? Robbie Sims also beat Duran at 160 in a close fight but i do think Sims won the fight, Duran faded down the stretch.

I dont think Watts beat Hagler, he got the decision but he was hella tired at the end of the fight and Hagler was all over him.

A side not, my boy McCallum beat the **** outta Luigi Minchillo and his corner stopped the fight because he was gettin such a shellacking,
      I do wish Hagler stuck around and fought guys like McCallum. The MW division was seriously hot in the second half of the 80s:

Mike McCallum
      Reggie Johnson
      Sumbu Kalambay
      Michael Nunn
      Nigel Benn
      Chris Eubank
      Steve Collins
      James Toney

Yet all history wants to talk about are the guys that got in the ring with Marvin Hagler.

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
      everyone who thinks size is an issue in this fight, check out bassilio whoop that ass...

and Obama, i disagree, Duran defintly won the brawl in montreal.
      If I recall, Robinson had been out of retirement with ~150 fights under his belt and first graced the pro ring over 16 years prior. And I also recall Robinson had moved up from Lightweight himself. And I recall once more that Robinson damn near blinded the man from punches in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
        I do wish Hagler stuck around and fought guys like McCallum. The MW division was seriously hot in the second half of the 80s:

Mike McCallum
        Reggie Johnson
        Sumbu Kalambay
        Michael Nunn
        Nigel Benn
        Chris Eubank
        Steve Collins
        James Toney

Yet all history wants to talk about are the guys that got in the ring with Marvin Hagler.

If I recall, Robinson had been out of retirement with ~150 fights under his belt and first graced the pro ring over 16 years prior. And I also recall Robinson had moved up from Lightweight himself. And I recall once more that Robinson damn near blinded the man from punches in the rematch.

oh really?...i also hear RD had to drop 40 pounds in a month to fight SRL the second fight, and was having stomach cramps. Furthermore...if thats the care, Duran got an excuse for pretty much everyone he lost to apart from De jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by ironalex View Post
          oh really?...i also hear RD had to drop 40 pounds in a month to fight SRL the second fight, and was having stomach cramps. Furthermore...if thats the care, Duran got an excuse for pretty much everyone he lost to apart from De jesus.
          Robinson was undefeated in his first two weight divisions, beating 4-5 hall of famers. Duran got nuthin on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post

Mike McCallum
            Reggie Johnson
            Sumbu Kalambay
            Michael Nunn
            Nigel Benn
            Chris Eubank
            Steve Collins
            James Toney

Agree, i dare say Hagler would of had trouble with a few of those guys to at that stage of his career to.

Nunn was such a talented fighter but he did not have it upstairs, he looked awesome against Tate and he looked good against Roldan in stages, but against Roldan he started clowning before the job was done and this is the kind of thing that frustrated me about Nunn, he wanted to clown before the job was done, he eventually put Roldan away but it was like the Barkley fight, too much messing about and clowning instead of tending to business. I felt Nunn was lucky to get the decision over a blown up Marlon Starling (great fight), he did beat Don Curry but we know Curry was on his way down by that time and a smaller man.

I think the Toney KO was inevitable because Nunn always took his eye off the ball, shame because i liked Nunn.

I think i speak for both myself and Machine when i say that Sumbu Kalambay was an extremely underrated technician, a very slick fighter was Kalambay, McCallum could not do anything with him in their 1st fight.

McCallum = god

Comment

[QUOTE=Dynamite Kid;5843265]I think i speak for both myself and Machine when i say that Sumbu Kalambay was an extremely underrated technician, a very slick fighter was Kalambay, McCallum could not do anything with him in their 1st fight.

Kalambay was a helluva good fighter. Its a shame most people over here only remember him for his loss to Nunn. If he had been American he would be much more highly regarded.

Comment

[QUOTE=JAB5239;5843738]
                I think i speak for both myself and Machine when i say that Sumbu Kalambay was an extremely underrated technician, a very slick fighter was Kalambay, McCallum could not do anything with him in their 1st fight.

Kalambay was a helluva good fighter. Its a shame most people over here only remember him for his loss to Nunn. If he had been American he would be much more highly regarded.
                Hell yeah.

I think Nunn landed a once in a life time counter shot against him, but it would of been interesting to see how Nunn would of dealt with him if he had not caught him cold, because it would not of surprised me if he went on to outbox Nunn.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dynamite Kid;5843836]
                  Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Hell yeah.

I think Nunn landed a once in a life time counter shot against him, but it would of been interesting to see how Nunn would of dealt with him if he had not caught him cold, because it would not of surprised me if he went on to outbox Nunn.
                  At that point in their careers I would favor Nunn over Sumbu regardless. But the ko gives many people the perception that Kalambay wasn't that good, and nothing could be further from the truth.

Comment

Too bad that's the only Patrizio fight you can find on youtube...

Comment

[QUOTE=JAB5239;5844183]

At that point in their careers I would favor Nunn over Sumbu regardless. But the ko gives many people the perception that Kalambay wasn't that good, and nothing could be further from the truth.
                      .................Agree 100%

Comment

Working...
                      X