Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kanye West is not a musical genius

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guy went from stealing other people's music and layering it over MPC sequenced drum patterns to bringing session players in and using their original music. Aside from rhyming words together he doesn't write or compose his own music. He made a whole album out of daft punk throwaways. That's not a musical genius. You want to see a musical genius in hip hop? Look up drumma boy. He composes his own music and plays various instruments. I'd be hard pressed to even call Kanye a musician. He's a beat maker whose narcissism appealed to the new generation of people who value being famous over everything else. If you think he's a musical genius you have low standards or are uneducated.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
      "He couldn't imagine people going back to the 80's wearing headphones", wtf does that even mean? Kanye is an idiot if he actually did say that.

I've yet to listen to one full Kanye album. I can't even say I dislike his music or his production (at least pre-2013 Kanye), but I haven't really sat down and explored his discography like that. He comes across me as full of himself, but it happens when you've had his level of success.

Comment

Do you know him personally?

If not, how do you deduce that he's experienced no struggle?

No minority will understand the black experience in America, especially if you know your history.

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
          He's 53 million in debt and is begging mark zuckerberg to bail him out. Why did his mother have to go instead of him? He's a piece of trash.
          Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
          He's all about consumerism. He only puts out music to bring attention to his ot her ventures. He thinks he has ideas no one else has. He's asking for a billion dollars from Bill Gates but if he wouldn't have turned down the Beats Headphone deal he would've been a billionaire. Instead Dr. Dre accepted and has made more money off of Beats than all his years doing music. Who am I kidding, Kanye would've ****ed Beats up

he is a genius at self-promotion, not music. Kendrick lamar makes way more interesting music than kanye

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
            I disagree; Kanye West is immensely talented creatively, and that's pretty much what a genius amounts to. As a society, we attach an almost mythical status to the term, but those type of people don't exist. We're only told they are, but if you analyze the cases, they're really just normal people who dedicate themselves to an area. All humans are equally intelligent; it's really more about what they spend their time on. And, of course, whether perceived success is upheld by society. A lot of factors fall into that, but that's beyond the point. At the end of the day, he can make what we deem beautiful music whenever he wants to. As you stated, Kanye has done it before.

Now, as to his recent ventures, that's how he is. Years ago, he was on top of tables, yelling about becoming the best artist on the planet. Many would argue that he proved his worth. Nowadays, he's yelling about becoming a great fashion designer; it's wait-and-see on that front. It's a new creative challenge, and he's always liked clothing anyway. That's just how it is.

We'll have to wait until we hear his album to make a final assessment, but, if the quality were to suffer, I think it'd be more due to all the distractions than to his actual ability/"genius." He may prove a lot of people wrong and actually be able to juggle all these ventures at once. We'll see. But, personally, I have no doubts that, if he decided to hole himself up for a few months, he'd come back with a contender for top hip-hop album of the year. Can anybody question that?
            I'm gonna take a wild guess and presume that you haven't heard his new album yet.

I was kinda feeling ultralight beam(first song) and then it was straight trash from there.

Comment

Kanye a clown, dude makes medicre music, married a known whore, has to piggyback of taylor swift fame, plus he broke begging people for handouts. What a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post

No minority will understand the black experience in America, especially if you know your history.
                Excuse you dumb fcuk? Gtfoh

Comment

Are you talking about highest unemployment rate, highest crime rate, highest encarceration rate, etc? No? Ok stfu then.

"It's somebody else fault doe! It's the media doe!" Uhhhhhhh...no it's not.

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                    he is a genius at self-promotion, not music. Kendrick lamar makes way more interesting music than kanye
                    Totally agree.

Comment

Kanye is a fat spoiled kid who makes ****ty music for stupid people and married a loose, glorified groupie. His parents bought him musical equipment and everything he needed to get started.

Is that the black experience and struggle you're referring to?

Comment

Working...
                      X