No announcement yet.

Block punches or slip them?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block punches or slip them?

Do you guys block punches to the face or try and slip them?

Combination of both, mostly block if the guy is really fast, and slip when I want to counter or if it's a cross. That's just me though.

Comment

Originally posted by mehoe View Post
      Combination of both, mostly block if the guy is really fast, and slip when I want to counter or if it's a cross. That's just me though.
      so when you block do you punch right after or move a little away and then punch?

Comment

Do both or you'll be predictable and also limit yourself.

Comment

Right now, my team and I are doing introductions to sparring. We all know how to slip, but all of us resort back to blocking. I am still new and learning how to box, so don't take my word for it, but I think it has to do with your comfort level. In my experience, beginners typically should stick to the cover-up/block, the parry or the catch.

My coach said once said this after sparring "when you are starting out and learning how to slip, you have to accept that you will be caught with the right hand until you gain the timing".

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful. Keep up the good work, buddy!

Comment

Hey guys....(gals probably too). This is my first day posting on the site, I read articles on here every day, but never bothered to register. Neways...

The answer is never (a) or (b) in boxing...so it is both. However, I believe the guy whose predominant style is to slip punches, can block punches more effectively than a predominant blocker can slip.

"Hit and not be hit" is a simple statement, but a complex dynamic. How do you approach that statement?...1) does your defense work off of your offense, or 2) does your offense work off of your defense? It's counter-intuitive...I believe the better defensive fighter is the better offensive fighter...but not the other way around. Keeping your guard up is not good defense, because your arms aren't busy in an offensive position.

Tip: Actually watch Floyd Mayweather's fights...

He is statistically and effectively is the best offensive boxer in the history of boxing, because he is the best defensive fighter ever. If you don't like watching Floyd box, you don't like boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EverAnd 0 View Post
              Hey guys....(gals probably too). This is my first day posting on the site, I read articles on here every day, but never bothered to register. Neways...

The answer is never (a) or (b) in boxing...so it is both. However, I believe the guy whose predominant style is to slip punches, can block punches more effectively than a predominant blocker can slip.

"Hit and not be hit" is a simple statement, but a complex dynamic. How do you approach that statement?...1) does your defense work off of your offense, or 2) does your offense work off of your defense? It's counter-intuitive...I believe the better defensive fighter is the better offensive fighter...but not the other way around. Keeping your guard up is not good defense, because your arms aren't busy in an offensive position.

Tip: Actually watch Floyd Mayweather's fights...

He is statistically and effectively is the best offensive boxer in the history of boxing, because he is the best defensive fighter ever. If you don't like watching Floyd box, you don't like boxing.
              This post is not to disagree, because like I said I've only been boxing for 2months, but isn't keeping your guard up good denfense? The fights where Mayweather Jr. got caught the most or when he got buckled he would switch to a hands up style. Recent examples being the Judah and Mosely fights?

In regards to the original post, the topic was block or slip. The best defense is distance. Unless you are elastic man, you can't hit someone in Africa when you live in Austrailia.

Comment

Your first defense is to stay out of range, so the punches fall short. To get into punching position- to close the distance and create openings to hit- you slip and /or parry. Blocking punches keeps you in one place and ties up your hands, so you cannot punch back. You should thoroughly learn to block punches, but, once you do, it is the very last line of defense for a skillful boxer. Because the purpose of good defense is not as much to avoid being hit as it is to make it easier to hit the other guy.

Comment

You have to be able to block, parry, slip, and stop (read up on the old-timers).

Comment

Block slip roll catch parry and control range

What I always found effective is when I see a shot comming I block em for a while see how they throw em them start to slip them do I can counter or Ill catch and counter.

If you ask me tho slipping is the worst thing to rely on because you get caught up in doing it and forget to block so best thing to do is figure out when it's time to slip and when to block

Comment

Working...
                    X