Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are a champion defending your title against a KO artist...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are a champion defending your title against a KO artist...

Do you let your opponent wear punchers gloves, or do you take every advantage you can get?

On one hand, it's no secret that the A side calls the shots, and can make demands like this, and as the challenger a fighter should meet the demands of the A side because it's their place to do so.

On the other hand, a fair fight with an opponent who has no room for excuses because they were given every possible opportunity to be comfortable and at their best befoer the fight would gain respect and eliminate doubts of the outcome.

What would you do?
    Absolutely, I want to beat fighters at their best, no excuses.
    76.92%
    Who cares what gloves he wants to wear I will take advantage of every edge I can get.
    23.08%

The poll is expired.

I'm a man. So I would prefer to beat my opponent at his very best. But that's because I'm more than willing to prove myself against others with no excuses.

Comment

It's the way he did it, the night before a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        Do you let your opponent wear punchers gloves, or do you take every advantage you can get?

On one hand, it's no secret that the A side calls the shots, and can make demands like this, and as the challenger a fighter should meet the demands of the A side because it's their place to do so.

On the other hand, a fair fight with an opponent who has no room for excuses because they were given every possible opportunity to be comfortable and at their best befoer the fight would gain respect and eliminate doubts of the outcome.

What would you do?
        It's just too insignificant to care about gloves. I'd stack the deck on my side and not give a fuck about anyone else's opinion.

Comment

Its easily said but if I am confident in my ability he can wear whatever gloves he likes. Why should I be allowed to and not him?

I'd also feel massively hypocritical letting one guy wearing them and not another.

What next are fighters going to not allow others to wear a more protective glove like Grants?
          I won't fight this guy unless he wears a punchers glove because he can't punch for **** and his hands are brittle and I want him to break them. I want every advantage going.

Comment

As long as I'm not wearing punchers gloves I don't see the problem with putting all of that type of stuff in the contract.

Paying your opponent off to change gloves last minute and making up rules as they go along is ***** made though.

Comment

Me personally, I'm a very honest person, it would eat me alive inside knowing I didn't beat someone at their best. When you're making the amount of money Mayweather makes, no amount of extra cash would make me forget about it.

Comment

I don't get why it was brought up at the last minute.
                Different gloves have different feels. I could understand why Maidana and his team could see it at a big disadvantage if that is his glove of choice and the ones he'd always used and trained in.

I've never used either but I gather they are both punchers gloves made by the same company. Is there that much of a difference?

He has fought guys that use those exact gloves before and Reyes and other punchers gloves. Are they really that more worrying than getting hit with a pair of Reyes or even a Cotto at 154' in the same glove as discussed?

Comment

Originally posted by #YOLO View Post
                  Me personally, I'm a very honest person, it would eat me alive inside knowing I didn't beat someone at their best. When you're making the amount of money Mayweather makes, no amount of extra cash would make me forget about it.
                  Good post, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

What would you do?
                    People get life long injuries in the sport of boxing so there is a fine line between giving the fans what they want and being a professional in the sport.

If the gloves had the basic padding, then there should be no problem. More importantly is watching the wraps before the fight. Outside of that you have to fight...no crying no excuses. If he's on PEDs it'll show up sooner or later.

Comment

Working...
                    X