No announcement yet.

Referee David Mendozas phantom punch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    Here is the punch that referee David Mendoza claims caused the cut to Nate's eyebrow immediately after the headbutt. You can clearly see Nate already protecting the eye, and the punch landing under the jawline.

Nice job ref.

Warp showed me this a couple of days ago, and I was so impressed that I promised to give you green K... I did it recently though, so I can't do it again.

Anyway, that's a very frustrating way to end the night, but Nate made some decent money in the fight, right?

The good news is, he still brings money to the table, and after Bradley beats one of those overrated Peterson prospects (who is apparently his WBO mandatory), I don't see any other fight that makes more sense to him than a rematch with Nate Campbell. Two big paydays in a row is very helpful to someone like Nate who seemed to be having money problems that were made into serious problems by Joan Guzman.

By the way, what appeal is this? Who are you talking to trying to get this changed to an NC? The state commission or the WBO or both?

Comment

He is a fighter and cuts happen. Fighters fight on all the time. They ignore what is going on.

He could have made a scene and had the fight stopped but he didnt. Teddy Atlas said it best about Cotto when he said fighters fight on. A cut is something that happens and you fight on.

He does deserve the no contest but he went about it in a cowardly way. His outbursts forced the doctor to stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        I know, but it really frosts me when I read people saying Nate was looking for a way out, or that he was getting his ass kicked, and crap like that. The butt changed everything......

Next is the appeal hearing on Aug 24th........
        I think the real problem was Nate saying he couldn't go on. It looked to me like he knew it was the 3rd round and was happy with getting the no contest. Now I'm no doctor so I can't say conclusively that he still could see but IMO he could have fought on just like Juan Diaz did against him. Was he still in the fight? Of course, and anything could have happened but to me it looked like he was slow and sluggish and in for a long night.
        Last edited by Two Clips; 08-05-2009, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I believe Nate when he said he couldn't see.

People still seem to be mistaking it as the cut causing him not to see.

He was saying that he got in the eye by the head so hard that it caused spots to be in his eye, obstructing his vision.

He was effectively blind in one eye, and all the sab in the world on the cut wouldn't have helped that.

Now, why would he want to go back out with only one eye (which was caused by a hard headbutt) and get his ass kicked due to blindness, rather than boxing skill?

He did the right thing taking the no contest (or so he thought), because he was a badly compromised fighter at that point.

Comment

Why didn't he give his corner time to work on the cut and take it from there? The way he demanded that the fight be stopped as his cutman tried to work on it looked to me as an attempt to get a way out.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
              Why didn't he give his corner time to work on the cut and take it from there? The way he demanded that the fight be stopped as his cutman tried to work on it looked to me as an attempt to get a way out.
              I agree........

Comment

A shame that a bad call by a referee affected the outcome of the fight.

Comment

Didn't Nate headbutt Diaz? Diaz kept fighting though and wasn't looking for the ref.
                  Miguel Cotto got headbutted much much worst then that and he still fought on & Cotto
                  truly couldn't see.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy-E View Post
                    A shame that a bad call by a referee affected the outcome of the fight.
                    A bad call didn't effect the fight.. Nate's unwillingness to fight did.

Comment

Originally posted by Two Clips View Post
                      I think the real problem was Nate saying he couldn't go on. It looked to me like he knew it was the 3rd round and was happy with getting the no contest. Now I'm no doctor so I can't say conclusively that he still could see but IMO he could have fought on just like Juan Diaz did against him. Was he still in the fight? Of course, and anything could have happened but to me it looked like he was slow and sluggish and in for a long night.
                      I understand why he wanted a NC, he wanted to be 100% for the bradley fight and a cut caused by a headbutt would grealt impede his ability to fight to the best of his ability.

Comment

Working...
                      X