Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kali Meehan-Travis Walker in Play for March 7 in Tasmania

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kali Meehan-Travis Walker in Play for March 7 in Tasmania

Heavyweight Travis Walker (38-7-1, 30KOs) turned down the opportunity to fight unbeaten prospect Magomed Abdusalamov, but he's now being mentioned as the likely opponent for veteran Kali Meehan (38-4, 31KOs) for the IBF's Pan Pacific title on March 7th at the Derwent Entertainment Centre in Hobart, Tasmania. After a near two-year break, Meehan returned to the sport in 2010 and lost a twelve round decision to former WBA champion Ruslan Chagaev. He won his last three rounds.
    [Click Here To Read More]

just as i said before. many said walker was ducking abdulsalamov but i said he didnt pay enough because walker will fight anyone,anywhere. the meehan fight has a bigger payday & a more important fight.

Comment

Re: Travis Walker vs. Kali Meehan

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      just as i said before. many said walker was ducking abdulsalamov but i said he didnt pay enough because walker will fight anyone,anywhere. the meehan fight has a bigger payday & a more important fight.
      True...More important fight for Walker as he tries to get back up in the heavyweight ranks. He may have to have another fight after this before getting back to facing top 15 talent.

Rooting for him since I knew him in high school...Just needs to focus more and work on his defense and he will be straight

Comment

Originally posted by JRB123 View Post
        True...More important fight for Walker as he tries to get back up in the heavyweight ranks. He may have to have another fight after this before getting back to facing top 15 talent.

Rooting for him since I knew him in high school...Just needs to focus more and work on his defense and he will be straight
        he's a warrior...

Comment

By James Slater - In what should be a fun fight, heavyweights Kali Meehan and Travis Walker will meet on March 7th in Australia, where 41-year-old New Zealander Meehan is based. Set for 12-rounds, the bout will contest the IBF Pan Pacific belt. Former World Boxing Organization (WBO) heavyweight title challenger Meehan (who lost a split decision against Lamon Brewster back in 2004), will likely enter the ring as the favourite, seeing how he will be fighting at home and that he has won his last three bouts. At 38-4(31), Meehan has been stopped just twice: by Danny Williams way back in 2001 and by Hasim Rahman back in 2004. But one thing 32-year-old Walker, 38-7-1(30) can do is punch.

Badly needing a win (Walker has lost four of his last eight), the always-exiting slugger known as “Freight Train” was last seen losing a wide 12-round decision to the unbeaten Kubrat Pulev in Germany. Unafraid to travel to his opponent’s backyard, Walker has boxed in Australia before. Back in June of 2010, the powerful Floridian went to war with fellow banger Alex Leapai. That slugfest ended, somewhat prematurely, in the 4th-round, after both guys had been hit and hurt plenty (check this awesome battle out on You Tube now if you haven’t seen it!)

Walker will be hoping he is no victim of a premature stoppage against Meehan. Walker has had his share of losses as well as his share of bad luck, but I believe he can win this one. Always in great shape, possessing genuine punching power and having the benefit of having fought in Australia before, Walker might be too strong, too determined and too dangerous for his 41-year-old foe.

What I think we are in store for is a fight that will be anything but boring. Two huge heavyweights will climb into the ring to do battle (Meehan stands 6’5” and weighs approx 240, Walker is 6’4” and tips-in at around 250) and it’s almost a certainty that the bombs will fly. With over 60 KO’s between them it would take a brave fan to predict a distance fight here!

I have a hunch the deserving Walker will get his bombs home first and will pull off the upset. Either way, I can’t see this one lasting much longer than 6 or seven-rounds tops. Fans will really be in luck if Walker and Meehan give us a rumble as good and as wildly entertaining as the fight Walker and Leapai gave us.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
            By James Slater - In what should be a fun fight, heavyweights Kali Meehan and Travis Walker will meet on March 7th in Australia, where 41-year-old New Zealander Meehan is based. Set for 12-rounds, the bout will contest the IBF Pan Pacific belt. Former World Boxing Organization (WBO) heavyweight title challenger Meehan (who lost a split decision against Lamon Brewster back in 2004), will likely enter the ring as the favourite, seeing how he will be fighting at home and that he has won his last three bouts. At 38-4(31), Meehan has been stopped just twice: by Danny Williams way back in 2001 and by Hasim Rahman back in 2004. But one thing 32-year-old Walker, 38-7-1(30) can do is punch.

Badly needing a win (Walker has lost four of his last eight), the always-exiting slugger known as “Freight Train” was last seen losing a wide 12-round decision to the unbeaten Kubrat Pulev in Germany. Unafraid to travel to his opponent’s backyard, Walker has boxed in Australia before. Back in June of 2010, the powerful Floridian went to war with fellow banger Alex Leapai. That slugfest ended, somewhat prematurely, in the 4th-round, after both guys had been hit and hurt plenty (check this awesome battle out on You Tube now if you haven’t seen it!)

Walker will be hoping he is no victim of a premature stoppage against Meehan. Walker has had his share of losses as well as his share of bad luck, but I believe he can win this one. Always in great shape, possessing genuine punching power and having the benefit of having fought in Australia before, Walker might be too strong, too determined and too dangerous for his 41-year-old foe.

What I think we are in store for is a fight that will be anything but boring. Two huge heavyweights will climb into the ring to do battle (Meehan stands 6’5” and weighs approx 240, Walker is 6’4” and tips-in at around 250) and it’s almost a certainty that the bombs will fly. With over 60 KO’s between them it would take a brave fan to predict a distance fight here!

I have a hunch the deserving Walker will get his bombs home first and will pull off the upset. Either way, I can’t see this one lasting much longer than 6 or seven-rounds tops. Fans will really be in luck if Walker and Meehan give us a rumble as good and as wildly entertaining as the fight Walker and Leapai gave us.
            this writer thinks walker is going to win...it's very possible because i have both meehan's ko losses in my archives. he can be blown out...

Comment

Originally posted by JRB123 View Post

I like Walker as well. He's breathed new life into his career after a rough patch a couple years back when he got KO'd a couple times...

I remember watching rough up and push Ruslan Chagaev to the brink in a fight that was supposed to easy for Chagaev...

Walker is big guy, a big puncher but his endurance has been suspect at times and his technique can be sloppy..

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                I like Walker as well. He's breathed new life into his career after a rough patch a couple years back when he got KO'd a couple times...

I remember watching rough up and push Ruslan Chagaev to the brink in a fight that was supposed to easy for Chagaev...

Walker is big guy, a big puncher but his endurance has been suspect at times and his technique can be sloppy..
                he's a solid gatekeeper...C+

Comment

Working...
                X