No announcement yet.

Counters against a left hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counters against a left hook?

What are counters against a left hook? The only thing that I know of to do, is either move back a bit so he misses and throw a right hook or weave under it then throw a right hook.

What else is there?

dont step away from a hook, step into it so you take out the travel of it and kill it

the only counters i know are roll and come back with yoru own left hook or uppercut, or bob-weave under it and right hook or right uppercut

Comment

Originally posted by LightsOut Le
      dont step away from a hook, step into it so you take out the travel of it and kill it

the only counters i know are roll and come back with yoru own left hook or uppercut, or bob-weave under it and right hook or right uppercut
      This might seem stupid but what's a roll?

Comment

well first you should be in a defensive stance, then when the punch hits your forearm you turn wiht it so the punch is absorbed.

Comment

Hits my right or left forearm? Assuming I'm in an orthodox stance.

Comment

Originally posted by NJFighter91
            Hits my right or left forearm? Assuming I'm in an orthodox stance.
            Should hit your right forearm if a left hook is being thrown that is, if your using the grab the ear technique. Most boxers who throw the left hook drop their right hand so you can hit them with what they're trying to hit you. A fine example is when Roy Jones fought Montell Griffin the second time. At the start of the fight Griffin tried hitting him with a left hook, but Roy blocked it and caught Griffin with his own left hook, which sent Griffin stumbling across the ring and falling into the ropes. It was then counted as a knockdown since the ropes were the only thing keeping him up.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornerMessiah
              Should hit your right forearm if a left hook is being thrown that is, if your using the grab the ear technique. Most boxers who throw the left hook drop their right hand so you can hit them with what they're trying to hit you. A fine example is when Roy Jones fought Montell Griffin the second time. At the start of the fight Griffin tried hitting him with a left hook, but Roy blocked it and caught Griffin with his own left hook, which sent Griffin stumbling across the ring and falling into the ropes. It was then counted as a knockdown since the ropes were the only thing keeping him up.
              So if they drop their right arm, I use my right arm to block their hook then use my own left hook against them.

If they don't drop their right arm, a weave under their hook and a right hook is good?

Comment

So if they drop their right arm, I use my right arm to block their hook then use my own left hook against them.

If they don't drop their right arm, a weave under their hook and a right hook is good?
                That's what I would do, but if someone is throwing a hook a lot to you and you just keep dipping out from under it they'll try to pick you up with an uppercut so watch out for that too..

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the help man.

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the help man.
                    Anytime.

Comment

Working...
                    X