No announcement yet.

Archie Moore interview: Spinks versus Charles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archie Moore interview: Spinks versus Charles

Found this on Utube. Interesting comments on Foreman and Archie speaks about fighting Ezzerd Charles and how he might compare to Michael Spinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpbo90o7BWw

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Found this on Utube. Interesting comments on Foreman and Archie speaks about fighting Ezzerd Charles and how he might compare to Michael Spinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpbo90o7BWw
    Love all the Moore interviews.. He'd tell everything apart from his age.. It's always been my belief, he retired Marciano..
    If ever there was a fight where the winner came off worse, that was it.
    Rocky yearned to be 50-0, but not after getting bashed up by Archie

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      I'd go with lack of activity reason for Marciano's retirement, not the Moore fight.

Comment

Love all the Moore interviews.. He'd tell everything apart from his age.. It's always been my belief, he retired Marciano..
        Talk about a guy who fought a few times....and appeared to be none the worse for the wear. The only guy Moore had a fear of was Charlie Burley!

Marciano recieved a boxing lesson that day. No shame in that and he of course managed to suzie Q Moore eventually. Moore was a fighters fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
          I'd go with lack of activity reason for Marciano's retirement, not the Moore fight.

sometimes you have a case like with Lennox Lewis and Vitali Klitschko, a war of attrition where Lewis won but at a great cost....Moore really made the Rock dig deep. No doubt this had some eventual implications regarding the question of retirement.

Another way to look at it: If Lewis had fought his originally scheduled fight Kirk (Johnson?) who was not going to be much more than target practice, instead of taking the Vitali fight at the last minute... ... would Lewis have fought again? I think so.

If Marciano had fought an aging Moore and outclassed him, ending the fight with little fan fare....things may have been different as well. Its logical to think so at least.
          Last edited by billeau2; 11-27-2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

If Marciano had fought an aging Moore and outclassed him, ending the fight with little fan fare....things may have been different as well. Its logical to think so at least.
            Appreciate the thought process and cannot completely rule it out, but can remember article by Marciano concerning his retirement not long after he called time.

There were a few points he made, without digging it out, details are vague, but he stated the schedule of a champion didn't suit him, two fights a year - he felt it wasn't enough to keep ring rust off. Believed it effected his performance massively with regards to sub par showing, cited ****ell fight specifically.

He touched on rumours of a bad back and how much money he had, can't remember rest.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
              Rocky had'nt been inactive before facing Moore.

He fought, LaStraza, Charles twice, and Don ****ell during 53-54, then Moore in 55.

Charles hurt him, and Moore put him off for good.

Comment

The only guy Moore had a fear of was Charlie Burley!
                You got me interested with that comment, went and had a look.

Burley was ranked #3 by the Ring for end of May 1944. Moore wasn't in rankings (top 10).

Moore didn't enter rankings until for end of January 1945, #8 at Light Heavyweight.

Burley was the state champion (California) and such one-sided contest that write-up had Burley at his peak, Moore slipping.

Comment

Rocky had'nt been inactive before facing Moore.

He fought, LaStraza, Charles twice, and Don ****ell during 53-54, then Moore in 55.

Charles hurt him, and Moore put him off for good.
                  Marciano referred as I understood to his pre-championship days and the slow down, gap between fights as a champion.

Comment

Talk about a guy who fought a few times....and appeared to be none the worse for the wear. The only guy Moore had a fear of was Charlie Burley!

Marciano recieved a boxing lesson that day. No shame in that and he of course managed to suzie Q Moore eventually. Moore was a fighters fighter.
                    A lot of great fighters did (fear Burley)

Moore also respected Ezzard Charles and Jimmy Bivins as great fighters too.

Comment

Working...
                    X