Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather: Where was Martinez when I was dominating at 21?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
    What makes you say that? He's small for a middleweight.

He puts on almost no weight from the weigh in to fight night, that means he's not having any troubles making weight, and 160 is around his natural weight.

That's beside the point. The point is Martinez WANTS him at 154.
    Martinez walks around close to 180, on top of that if he really wanted to apply the pressure, make the fight look viable, he would have fought at 154 and called out Floyd. He himself said, he would only move down for Mayweather, not Canelo, not Cotto, but Floyd, which indicates he's solely willing to kill himself for a Mayweather fight for the payday, he's not willing to put in work at '54 to position himself towards it. Again, I don't think he can make the weight, even if he can I doubt he'll be a healthy 154 pounder, his actions and words strongly lead me to believe this.

Comment

What makes you say that? He's small for a middleweight. He fought Paul williams at 158 with no problems at all.. you really think he cant drop 4 pounds? He spent most of his career at 154.

He puts on almost no weight from the weigh in to fight night, that means he's not having any troubles making weight, and 160 is around his natural weight.

That's beside the point. The point is Martinez WANTS him at 154.
      No, he's not.

2 weeks ago he was over 170 Lbs. If you're small for a weight you're not 10 lbs north of it with a month to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
        Martinez walks around close to 180, on top of that if he really wanted to apply the pressure, make the fight look viable, he would have fought at 154 and called out Floyd. He himself said, he would only move down for Mayweather, not Canelo, not Cotto, but Floyd, which indicates he's solely willing to kill himself for a Mayweather fight for the payday, he's not willing to put in work at '54 to position himself towards it. Again, I don't think he can make the weight, even if he can I doubt he'll be a healthy 154 pounder, his actions and words strongly lead me to believe this.
        Where is your proof that martinez walks around at 180?

I watch all of martinez's fights and weigh ins, and he looks exactly the same at the weigh in than he does on fight night.

That means he's not having to drop any weight to fight, that means he has no trouble making weight.

Do you really think a world class athlete who spent the majority of his career at 154, who had no problems making 158 or knocking paul williams out at 158, will have problems losing 4 pounds?
        Last edited by DARKSEID; 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I watch all of martinez's fights and weigh ins, and he looks exactly the same at the weigh in than he does on fight night.

That means he's not having to drop any weight to fight, that means he has no trouble making weight.
          That's not true man, your way off with this. I remember hearing he was 176 lbs outside the ring, somewhere around there. Here it is,

http://www.boxingscene.com/30-day-we...ams-162--32192

Comment

Do you really think a world class athlete who spent the majority of his career at 154, who had no problems making 158 or knocking paul williams out at 158, will have problems losing 4 pounds?
            He's not having trouble making weight, he's a solid MW he's not big for the weight and nor is he small for the weight.

And yes he does drop weight to fight. Like I said, he was over 170 Lbs with less than a month left before fight night.

He was 170 Lbs in the ring against Dzinziruk.

He is not a small MW.

Comment

Good. Now can we finally kill that noise of Martinez ever being a realistic possibility?

Comment

walk around weight doesn't mean anything, some people like to relax and eat, drink w/e, others(e.g. mayweather) never let themselves go and are training all the time

but i would be suprised if martinez, at 38 can make the weight healthily

Comment

That's not true man, your way off with this. I remember hearing he was 176 lbs outside the ring, somewhere around there. Here it is,

http://www.boxingscene.com/30-day-we...ams-162--32192
                  From the article you posted

Sergio Martinez: " Making weight has never been an issue for me. It hasn't been hard."

If Martinez has distributed any signs of struggling to make weight, then I would say ok.. he might have trouble making 154. But there is no indication that he will have difficulty losing 4 pounds from the weight he knocked out Paul Williams at.

There's no indication, and Martinez himself said he would go to 154 to fight Floyd. So what's the problem?

I would give Floyd full credit for this fight and I'm sure everyone else would too because we all want to watch fight Floyd an elite level opponent.

Comment

I was on your side of the fence with this issue not too long ago, wanted this fight more than anything, but again Martinez's words say otherwise. Sergio is not willing to go down to 154 for Canelo, Cotto, only Floyd, that right there tells you all you need to know.

Comment

I was on your side of the fence with this issue not too long ago, wanted this fight more than anything, but again Martinez's words say otherwise. Sergio is not willing to go down to 154 for Canelo, Cotto, only Floyd, that right there tells you all you need to know.
                      Cotto is past his prime and Canelo is unproven. Mayweather is one of the best fighters in the world.

Of course he wouldn't move down for cotto or canelo, who would?

Comment

Working...
                      X