No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson knocked Wesley Snipes out cold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post

It depends on which Martial Arts you're using. Some are more practical than others. I think that Mixed Martial Arts is very useful in a fight. You don't need all of the flashy stuff they do in movies just the basic striking and grappling techniques will do. Mike Tyson in his prime was a dangerous opponent. He was a world class Boxer with a lot of street fighting experience. I think it would take a high caliber Martial Artist with a lot of street fighting experience to beat him. Snipes doesn't sound like he'd be up to the task but some modern MMA fighters and hardcore Martial Artists probably could.
    It's not really the style, it's the kind of training you have. There are a lot of McDojos out there. Well unless you are talking about a style like Aikido that wasn't even created for hand to hand combat (but for self defense against the samurai sword) . Fighting styles of course work best when they are used in the context for which they were created.

Comment

Tyson gets into a lot of run ins with vampires

Last edited by res; 07-19-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
        It's not really the style, it's the kind of training you have. There are a lot of McDojos out there. Well unless you are talking about a style like Aikido that wasn't even created for hand to hand combat (but for self defense against the samurai sword) . Fighting styles of course work best when they are used in the context for which they were created.
        It's both how you train and what you're doing. For instance Muay Thai is a more effective striking style than Tae Kwon Do. A good Muay Thai fighter will beat a good Tae Kwon Do fighter the majority of the time. This is because the Muay Thai fighter focuses on more practical striking techniques and a more effective form of full-contact fighting. Tae Kwon Do has its positive qualities. There are Mixed Martial Artists with a Tae Kwon Do background who make use of the flashy kicks they learned from the discipline and are very flexible thanks to their training in the art. But their overall striking improved by leaps in bounds when they train more like a Kickboxer.

Aikido was intended for self-defense against a variety of threats including unarmed opponents, opponents with weapons and multiple opponents. Some of the techniques in Aikido can work in a real fight but the way they train isn't very practical. There are disciplines that are almost completely useless in a real fight like Sumo wrestling and techniques that are bogus such as Dim Mak.

What you really need to be a great fighter is full-contact sparring, modern fitness training and well-rounded skills. You need to spar against a resisting opponent and use practical techniques that you can rely on in an unpredictable, chaotic situation which is what real fighting is.

I think that most Traditional Martial Artists would lose against Mike Tyson in his prime (hell many even now). Wesley Snipes even said in the Howard Stern interview that a lot of Karate practitioners aren't good fighters because they don't have much fighting experience and they lack heart. Few dojos are going to fully prepare you for the reality of street fighting where you not only have to execute proper technique, you've got to be able to take a hit and keep on coming. The advantage that professional fighters have in a street fight is that they actually fight for a living. They have alot of experience. Plus Tyson was a world class athlete. A former world champion. Snipes never even competed in Martial Arts. He knows better than to mess with Tyson.

Now Mixed Martial Artists would whoop Tyson's ass. Cain Velasquez? Alistair Overeem? Even a smaller guy like Jon Jones or Anderson Silva. They could beat a prime Mike Tyson because they have the athleticism, the experience and more tools.

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm bumping this thread to update the forum on what Wesley Snipes and Mike Tyson had to say about this alleged situation. Snipes said in a 1998 interview with Howard Stern that this story is a total lie. He says he never fought Mike Tyson and they never had any bad words to say about each other.

The interview is on Youtube. It looks like I can't post links yet. Check it out for yourself (search "Wesley Snipes 08 19 98 - The Howard Stern Show" - Starts at 24:29).

Mike Tyson mentions Wesley Snipes in his book Undisputed Truth, but he doesn't say that he fought Snipes. He says that Snipes broke the heart of a girl he was close to and they had a talk at an RnB club that didn't turn violent.

Here's an excerpt:

It's interesting to me that both Mike Tyson and Rudy Gonzalez mention a girl named Hope who was involved with Wesley Snipes. But Tyson says they were just close friends and says nothing about being jealous of Snipes or fighting him in a bathroom. Tyson does suggest that Snipes was intimidated by him when he confronted him and Snipes in the interview insists that he would never fight Mike Tyson, sounding afraid of the idea.

Since neither person says a fight happened I think Tyson's bodyguard was telling lies.

It depends on which Martial Arts you're using. Some are more practical than others. I think that Mixed Martial Arts is very useful in a fight. You don't need all of the flashy stuff they do in movies just the basic striking and grappling techniques will do. Mike Tyson in his prime was a dangerous opponent. He was a world class Boxer with a lot of street fighting experience. I think it would take a high caliber Martial Artist with a lot of street fighting experience to beat him. Snipes doesn't sound like he'd be up to the task but some modern MMA fighters and hardcore Martial Artists probably could.
          It's both how you train and what you're doing. For instance Muay Thai is a more effective striking style than Tae Kwon Do. A good Muay Thai fighter will beat a good Tae Kwon Do fighter the majority of the time. This is because the Muay Thai fighter focuses on more practical striking techniques and a more effective form of full-contact fighting. Tae Kwon Do has its positive qualities. There are Mixed Martial Artists with a Tae Kwon Do background who make use of the flashy kicks they learned from the discipline and are very flexible thanks to their training in the art. But their overall striking improved by leaps in bounds when they train more like a Kickboxer.

Aikido was intended for self-defense against a variety of threats including unarmed opponents, opponents with weapons and multiple opponents. Some of the techniques in Aikido can work in a real fight but the way they train isn't very practical. There are disciplines that are almost completely useless in a real fight like Sumo wrestling and techniques that are bogus such as Dim Mak.

What you really need to be a great fighter is full-contact sparring, modern fitness training and well-rounded skills. You need to spar against a resisting opponent and use practical techniques that you can rely on in an unpredictable, chaotic situation which is what real fighting is.

I think that most Traditional Martial Artists would lose against Mike Tyson in his prime (hell many even now). Wesley Snipes even said in the Howard Stern interview that a lot of Karate practitioners aren't good fighters because they don't have much fighting experience and they lack heart. Few dojos are going to fully prepare you for the reality of street fighting where you not only have to execute proper technique, you've got to be able to take a hit and keep on coming. The advantage that professional fighters have in a street fight is that they actually fight for a living. They have alot of experience. Plus Tyson was a world class athlete. A former world champion. Snipes never even competed in Martial Arts. He knows better than to mess with Tyson.

Now Mixed Martial Artists would whoop Tyson's ass. Cain Velasquez? Alistair Overeem? Even a smaller guy like Jon Jones or Anderson Silva. They could beat a prime Mike Tyson because they have the athleticism, the experience and more tools.

ooh hey there mr. wesley snipes!

its ok bro, everybody takes Ls every now and then. no shame in getting sniped by Iron Mike. You should consider it an honor.

dont forget to pay your taxes next time doe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
            ooh hey there mr. wesley snipes!

its ok bro, everybody takes Ls every now and then. no shame in getting sniped by Iron Mike. You should consider it an honor.

dont forget to pay your taxes next time doe.
            Yeah real cute, bro.

But seriously if Wesley Snipes says it didn't happen and Mike Tyson suggests they didn't fight either then it probably didn't happen.

Comment

Yeah real cute, bro.

But seriously if Wesley Snipes says it didn't happen and Mike Tyson suggests they didn't fight either then it probably didn't happen.
              3 post history and bumping a specific old ass thread.

now that's real cute.

bro.

of course wesley would deny it. tyson was probably too coked out of his mind to remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
                3 post history and bumping a specific old ass thread.

now that's real cute.

bro.

of course wesley would deny it. tyson was probably too coked out of his mind to remember it.
                It's cool, bro.

I post on Sherdog under the same name. Someone on Youtube recently got in a debate with me about Bruce Lee vs. Mike Tyson and I myself mentioned the story of Mike Tyson knocking out Wesley Snipes in a bathroom. But then I thought about it. Shouldn't this story have made headline news if it was true (Tyson fighting Mitch Green on the street did)? So I went on Youtube to see if Snipes had mentioned it. I found the Howard Stern interview and decided to watch it. Midway through the alleged incident actually gets mentioned! Snipes vehemently denies it (yeah ofcourse he would) but when I looked for a comment from Tyson on it I found a webpage saying his book Undisputed Truth mentions him confronting Wesley Snipes. The excerpt speaks for itself. Tyson says there was a friendly confrontation over a girl and doesn't mention a fight. I know it's an old story which is why I bumped a thread on Sherdog about it instead of making a new thread. When I searched for the story on Google this thread was the top result so I decided to mention it here too.

And yes I'm a fan of Snipes. Blade kicked ass! I'm a fan of Tyson too. I just wanted to report the facts.

Comment

It's cool, bro.

I post on Sherdog under the same name. Someone on Youtube recently got in a debate with me about Bruce Lee vs. Mike Tyson and I myself mentioned the story of Mike Tyson knocking out Wesley Snipes in a bathroom. But then I thought about it. Shouldn't this story have made headline news if it was true (Tyson fighting Mitch Green on the street did)? So I went on Youtube to see if Snipes had mentioned it. I found the Howard Stern interview and decided to watch it. Midway through the alleged incident actually gets mentioned! Snipes vehemently denies it (yeah ofcourse he would) but when I looked for a comment from Tyson on it I found a webpage saying his book Undisputed Truth mentions him confronting Wesley Snipes. The excerpt speaks for itself. Tyson says there was a friendly confrontation over a girl and doesn't mention a fight. I know it's an old story which is why I bumped a thread on Sherdog about it instead of making a new thread. When I searched for the story on Google this thread was the top result so I decided to mention it here too.

And yes I'm a fan of Snipes. Blade kicked ass! I'm a fan of Tyson too. I just wanted to report the facts.
                  facts?

all you reported is your lame ass opinion. the fact that you mentioned going through all those sites just to "set" the story straight either reinforces my opinion that you are wesley snipes or just a fcking lame ass loser. and lmfaaoooooo at "it wasnt reported in the news didnt make headlines, must not be true" logic.

GTFO.

dont come back.

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                    Wesley Snipes martial arts training and background is impressive. A fifth degree black belt, with high ranks in Shotokan karate and extensive training in capoeira, he is an accomplished martial artist. Snipes first started training at the young age of 12, and credits his martial arts training for helping him overcome adversity.

http://wesleysnipes-martialarts.blogspot.com/
                    Problem is, can a chin take full power from a Mike Tyson with no gloves on?

Comment

I honestly do not feel that Cain, or Anderson in particular would take a shot from a prime Mike. His speed and power was amazing. They could get him down, but from what I have seen, both would take flush shots on the face and be hurt.

Comment

Working...
                      X