No announcement yet.

Stance - Square Shoulders v 45 Degrees

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stance - Square Shoulders v 45 Degrees

I see more and more pro boxers who fight with their shoulders basically square to their opponent

Just this weekend we had Cotto and Mormeck fight from these kind of stances

Advantage is you can launch a right hand lead as easily as the jab, a right hook as easily as a left hook

disadvantage is your right hand won't be as powerful

Thoughts ?

different fighters use different styles. i personally dont like to stand squared up because it is easier to get away when u come in at angles. when im on the inside or when i got the guy hurt i may square up to throw more powerful punches, but other than that i like to stand at an angle and be up on my toes.

Comment

I tend to turn my torso(just my torso) to southpaw. My power is about the same either or.I just havnt tried it in the ring yet. I used to square up alot,but when facing good competition thats not a good idea.

Comment

Explain the turning just your torso southpaw bit please... I don't get it?

Comment

I don't stand square, just doesn't work for me. It makes me fight very static meaning i can't duck and move as well as i should, it tends to makes me bend over when recieving and throwing punches. Also i find it restricts my power. My body position is always at a 45 degree angle facing towards my opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
            Explain the turning just your torso southpaw bit please... I don't get it?
            Its just that,turning your torso south paw. If I was fighting orthodox with my lead shoulder in the same direction as my lead foot,but then I turn my torso the opposite way so my lead shoulder is actually on my right.But my lead foot is still on the left.

Comment

45 degrees is definately better for the amateur bouts. If your too square you're in danger of being open for your opponents to score points from body shots.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K7 View Post
                Its just that,turning your torso south paw. If I was fighting orthodox with my lead shoulder in the same direction as my lead foot,but then I turn my torso the opposite way so my lead shoulder is actually on my right.But my lead foot is still on the left.
                i dont understand how u could get any balance, movement, or power while standing like that. ur body is jus twisted in an off balanced way. i know u said u havent tried it in the ring yet, and i wouldnt if i were u, but if u do, let us know how it worked cuz it seems strange to me...

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
                  i dont understand how u could get any balance, movement, or power while standing like that. ur body is jus twisted in an off balanced way. i know u said u havent tried it in the ring yet, and i wouldnt if i were u, but if u do, let us know how it worked cuz it seems strange to me...
                  I'll try it next time I spar.Its actually very comfortable and it makes my jab like my straight right.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K7 View Post
                    I'll try it next time I spar.Its actually very comfortable and it makes my jab like my straight right.
                    if u get a chance, a pic or vid would be nice becuase i might not be understanding how this is comfortable. maybe i cant see it right i dono but if u can get a pic or vid that would be tight...

Comment

Working...
                    X