No announcement yet.

NYS golden gloves next year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS golden gloves next year

Sup fellas. I am looking to compete in the NY state golden gloves tournament next year, as a novice. How realistic is this goal if I have only been boxing for a year solo? My background is very athletic. My diet is perfect, no sugar or junk food. I picked up a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves today and will be getting a trainer starting next week.

Cliffs
    - 1 year of solo boxing. Hitting bag, footwork drills, plyometrics, weights/ calisthenics
    - will be training with a trainer starting next week
    - can I still do it? Or do the people who started training around 10, have the upper hand and my goal isn't realistic?
    - I weigh 151 pounds 5'8 19 years old
    - athletic

Would appreciate anyone who is/ partook at golden gloves to tell me their experience as well. Thank you and best of luck with future endeavors fellow boxers

Comment

If you haven't trained with a trainer yet then you haven't even learned how to walk, in terms of boxing skill. You'll soon find out that everything you think you know is nothing in comparison to what you're about to learn. Spend some time with the trainer. If you're good, then he might put you in some amateur fights in a year. Then, you might go into Golden Gloves in a couple years after that, if you're talented and stay dedicated.

Boxing is something you can't rush. Those who do become padding on other guy's records. If the will is there then you will stick with your training but you can't substitute skill with will. Not in this sport.

Comment

Appreciate the reply. I plan on training with a trainer for one year before golden gloves. How competitive is the novice (less than 10 amateur fights) category? I assume most people there would be somewhat fresh such as myself and more advanced would move up?

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenGlove2017 View Post
          Appreciate the reply. I plan on training with a trainer for one year before golden gloves. How competitive is the novice (less than 10 amateur fights) category? I assume most people there would be somewhat fresh such as myself and more advanced would move up?
          Rely on your coach. He will be able to evaluate where you're at and what you're ready for. Let him know your intentions and tell him to help you get there by pushing you. But, rely on him to tell you if you're ready.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenGlove2017 View Post
            I don't know about the novice division but I know that the NY Golden Gloves Fighters is the creme de la creme of east coast boxing/USA boxing. Highly skilled amateurs who might as well be pro fight in there. I'd take a shot at it if I were you. What's the worst thing that is going to happen? You lose? Experience is better than sitting around wondering what you could be doing. If you know how to look after yourself you should be able to take a punch so don't be scared of a knockout. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting seriously hurt in amateur boxing in the United States either. They will stop the fight if you are seriously outgunned. I forget what they call it but that is how Amir Khan won a ton of his fights. You can do a lot with your trainer up until that point. I know guys who competed at the national golden gloves in their first year of training. They were real fighters before they picked up boxing so that may have helped them.

Comment

Working...
            X