No announcement yet.

Ward-Martinez is Not The Same As Martinez-Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
    Martinez will be 38 next year. You really expect him to move up to a fourth weight class and fight Andre Ward at the full 168? Andre Ward has already said he can't possibly shed another pound and is more likely to move up to 175 if anything. I think people are only bringing Andre Ward up as an excuse for Floyd. Personally, I don't blame Floyd, if I were him I'd avoid Martinez and Trout at all costs.
    Mayweather will be 36. What's your point in regards to age?

Comment

Be real about it. Floyd is too small for Martinez. He looked small in with Cotto for ****s sake and Sergio would toy with Cotto. Ward is also far too big and prime for Sergio. Neither fight is realistic.

Comment

Youre right its not the same fight.

Floyd is on his 5th weight class at 154.

Martinez is on his 2nd and doesnt want to go to a 3rd.

Known fight night weights:

Mayweather 150 vs Ortiz unknown vs Cotto but 150 at the weigh in
        Sergio 168 vs Chavez, 170 vs barker
        Ward 175 vs Dawson

Tell Sergio to stop being a ***** and fight Ward. Ward only weighs 5-7 more pounds than him fight night.

Sergio is closer to ward in size than he is to floyd, that is a FACT. Floyd has done 5 weight classes, sergio cant handle a 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
          Be real about it. Floyd is too small for Martinez. He looked small in with Cotto for ****s sake and Sergio would toy with Cotto. Ward is also far too big and prime for Sergio. Neither fight is realistic.
          Then why doesn't Floyd or his team just say it? Martinez' team has said that in regard to Ward. Also, Alvarez comes into fights at about the same weight as Martinez from what I have read.

Comment

Originally posted by Motofan View Post

Floyd weighed 150 vs Ortiz. Pac weighed in 151 in JMM 4. Floyd is a small dude. He weighed less than Judah when they fought.

Came in 150 for cotto weigh in. I dont think he cut 4 extra pounds for fun. Probably wasnt very much over that on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidFire26 View Post
              Floyd is a beltholder at 154 (which is the highest weight a Martinez-Floyd fight would take place at), while Martinez is not one at 168. Martinez has offered Floyd a lower catch weight, while Ward has not done the same for Martinez from what I have seen. Martinez would likely accept restrictions on his fight night weight or he has at least said he would try to lose the weight necessary to make a catchweight of 152 or 150 in as healthy manner as possible (suggests he would decrease the weight he walks around at). Again, Ward has not offered this. Ward is like 8 years younger than Martinez, while Floyd is two years younger.

Thus Floyd would be fighting a bigger, but older man who would probably be weight-drained in some way, while Sergio would be fighting a fighter that is both bigger and younger. Not to mention that Ward wouldn't be weight-drained at all if they fought at 168. I also think Ward would make better use of his size advantage than Martinez would against Floyd given their respective styles. Size would likely only make a difference for Sergio in regards to power then, but even this may be tempered by draining.

Martinez (at least his team does) admits he would lose to Ward partially due to his size, while Floyd's team including his uncles have said he would beat Martinez. If they believe he would still win then what is the problem?

If Floyd is willing to fight Canelo then his reasoning for not fighting Martinez is not purely based on size. Canelo comes into his fights at pretty much the same weight Martinez does and Floyd already fought Victor Ortiz who came into their fight at 164 lbs.

I guess the argument can be turned around on Martinez given that he fought the much bigger Chavez Jr., but I think Martinez' team would admit he is far less skilled than Ward (they must believe that given their reluctance to put him in there with Ward) and that the weight draining probably hurts his stamina a bit. Kelly Pavlik also significantly outweighed Martinez when they fought, so it isn't as if Martinez is completely afraid to fight bigger fighters.

Thus if he does end up fighting Canelo then he is probably not fighting Martinez for a combination of reasons. Size may very well play a role, but skill and less drawing power would likely be more important.

Essentially Floyd and his team should put up or shut up when they say he can beat Martinez.
              Not bad.... Good points

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post

Ward 175 vs Dawson

Tell Sergio to stop being a ***** and fight Ward. Ward only weighs 5-7 more pounds than him fight night.

Sergio is closer to ward in size than he is to floyd, that is a FACT. Floyd has done 5 weight classes, sergio cant handle a 3rd.
                Stop making up numbers, not even you believe your own ****.
                Martinez weighed 165 pounds against Barker. According to Nathan Nathan Lewkowicz he weighed 167 on fight night against Chavez Jr.
                Last edited by BafanaBafana; 12-18-2012, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Ward 175 vs Dawson

Martinez actually started at 147.

Martinez has never weighed as much as 170 from what I have seen and if he did it was only once. I've read he was 165 vs. Barker.

Martinez is also going to be 38. Floyd did most of movement up when he was young.

His team has admitted he would lose, but not Floyd.

Comment

Floyd weighed 150 vs Ortiz. Pac weighed in 151 in JMM 4. Floyd is a small dude. He weighed less than Judah when they fought.

Came in 150 for cotto weigh in. I dont think he cut 4 extra pounds for fun. Probably wasnt very much over that on fight night.
                    I'm sure Mayweather at 154 weighs above 150 seeing as he weighed in at 151 against Cotto at the official weigh-in. If you ask me his fight night weight against Cotto was somewhere between 154-156, but we can't know for sure because he usually refuses to weigh himself on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                      Your leaving one thing out......

154 is Floyd's 5th weight class, 24 lbs above where he started. Floyd can't even make 154 and is like 147-150 on his fight nights. Sergio is on his 3rd weight class at 160, and weighs close to 170 lbs on fight night.

In terms of actual size....Sergio is closer to Ward than to Floyd, that's a fact. Sergio is like 20 lbs bigger than Floyd in size. Ward is about 10 lbs bigger than Martinez.
                      Sergios 5th weight class would be CW..... He doesn't have 5lbs separating the divisions he has competed in.... He also claims he can make 54... If both can make 54 why not (though I don't want to see it)??? Ward cant make 160

Comment

Working...
                      X