Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to train on a heavy bag?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to train on a heavy bag?

My cousin says just punch for three mins to build stamina? But is there another way to it just besides punching should I throw in some techniques?

There are many heavy bag drills. The main thing is you learn how to punch with proper technique.

You can do burn outs, all speed, all power, work head movement and more.

Your question is very broad so if you have any technique questions ask and maybe myself or someone else can help.

Pretend it is an opponent. Every heavy bag is a little different just like every opponent is a different.

If you are just smashing on any bag with no purpose then the bag is working you. You don't want this for the most part (Its good for a warm up). You want to be the one working the bag.

Comment

do you know what you want to achieve?

Comment

You should be hitting 3 bags;...Heavy-bag,double-end bag and speed bag.
        Heavy bag is for building power.Hit it with the 5 main punches;Jab,cross,hook,
        uppercut,overhand..as hard as you can....heavy bag is for building power.
        Unfortunately,you either have power or you don't.If you don't have power,
        you may gain some by hitting the heavy bag.Hard punchers are born,not made.
        .....good luck

Comment

Your cousin is talking about a drill on the bag. You can use a 3 minute round and punch non-stop with left right starting high on the bag and ending low. Its a simple stamina routine that has been used for ever. Very good work out but technique must be applied.
          The heavy bag is for building strength in your punches. To make this post simple and to the point.
          You first pronate your punches. (turn your wrist just before impact so your wrist are pointed at the floor.
          Secondly punch through the bag! Sink your punches into the bag as if you were trying to punch through it!

Start this technique slowly and make sure your form is perfect before you try to add speed. Power takes time to build and it comes from feet, hips, shoulders, and forearms to wrists. Once you work this way for a month then try to go a little faster as time goes on. If you rush this process you will NOT master it! Do NOT drop shoulders, they must remain even if one dips then you begin to loose power.
          Ray Corso
          Last edited by Ray Corso; 04-26-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Your cousin is talking about a drill on the bag. You can use a 3 minute round and punch non-stop with left right starting high on the bag and ending low. Its a simple stamina routine that has been used for ever. Very good work out but technique must be applied.
            The heavy bag is for building strength in your punches. To make this post simple and to the point.
            You first pronate your punches. (turn your wrist just before impact so your wrist are pointed at the floor.
            Secondly punch through the bag! Sink your punches into the bag as if you were trying to punch through it!

Start this technique slowly and make sure your form is perfect before you try to add speed. Power takes time to build and it comes from feet, hips, shoulders, and forearms to wrists. Once you work this way for a month then try to go a little faster as time goes on. If you rush this process you will NOT master it! Do NOT drop shoulders, they must remain even if one dips then you begin to loose power.
            Ray Corso
            How many punches per round do you have fighters throw in this drill, Ray?

Comment

There's a smokin hot blonde at my gym. She does these heavy bag drills and works up a real sweat. Sometimes the sweat from her forehead makes contact with the bag and leaves a streak of her sweat on the bag.

When nobody is watching, I lick her sweat off the heavy bag

Comment

Originally posted by GorgeousJorge View Post
                There's a smokin hot blonde at my gym. She does these heavy bag drills and works up a real sweat. Sometimes the sweat from her forehead makes contact with the bag and leaves a streak of her sweat on the bag.

When nobody is watching, I lick her sweat off the heavy bag

Comment

Your cousin isn't to far off base, but you need to structure the work out correctly to get the most out of it. What I would do is hit hard for 45 seconds as fast as possible while keeping technique, and do 15 seconds of rest. That equals 1 set. Do that for 3-5 rounds depending on what you can handle. It will take a lot out of you. Make sure and keep yout technique good so your not building bad habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Do you mean that the laces of the glove are pointed at the floor?

Comment

Working...
                    X