Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilder, Kovalev, GGG. Rank them in punching power.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
    GGG's punch delivery generates a lot of his power in my opinion. Yes he is very heavy handed but he throws with great power technique as well.
    GGG delivers his power from good technique, I agree. Kovalev has somewhat sloppy form and drops people with jabs. Wilder, according to most posters here, has no form at all and just throws sloppy windmill punches and KO's everyone.

My point is, if Wilder can do this to people with no form or technique, how "powerful" would he be with proper punching technique.

The basis for punching power is (1/2)m*v^2:
    m = mass
    v = punch velocity

Wilder has more mass than either GGG or Kovalev does. I know there is a lot more to consider, e.g. technique, arm length, leverage, but Wilder has the physical advantages to generate more power.

Arm Length
    Kovalev arm length: 72.5"
    Wilder arm length: 83"
    GGG arm length: 70"

Height
    Kovalev: 6'-0"
    Wilder: 6'-6"
    GGG: 5'-10.5"

Mass
    Kovalev: 5.43 lbm (assuming a fight night weight of 175 lbf)
    Wilder: 6.21 lbm (assuming a fight night weight of 200 lbf)
    GGG: 4.97 lbm (assuming a fight night weight of 160 lbf)

Comment

He's still a beast tho.

Comment

Meh, P4P, Kovalev ranks the highest in my mind.

Doesn't mean much.

If Wilder wound up on you and connected, 99.9% of this board would be waking up in the ICU slurping Jello through a straw.

Comment

Kovalev scares me through the tv lol watching his last 2 fights were brutal everytime he landed and whenever his opponent lands a good punch he lands 3 more

Comment

killa kov is #1.

Nobody is close after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
              Meh, P4P, Kovalev ranks the highest in my mind.

Doesn't mean much.

If Wilder wound up on you and connected, 99.9% of this board would be waking up in the ICU slurping Jello through a straw.
              Are you putting Zelenoff above us Sweet Pea?

I'm still not sure how to rank them, Stiverne might just have been unusually durable. Need to see Wilder against more top heavies.

Between GGG and Kovalev, I think Kovalev hits harder PFP but people's perceptions change by the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                Are you putting Zelenoff above us Sweet Pea?

I'm still not sure how to rank them, Stiverne might just have been unusually durable. Need to see Wilder against more top heavies.

Between GGG and Kovalev, I think Kovalev hits harder PFP but people's perceptions change by the fight.

All I am saying is, if Wilder landed on one of us Joe Schmoes on here...

I'm taking this as what it is, a P4P deal.

Kovalev
                GGG
                Wilder

Comment

No doubt Kovalev is #1. He killed an opponent in the ring.

I repeat, HE KILLED AN OPPONENT IN THE RING.

#2 GGG
                  #3 Wilder

Comment

If Kovalev was allowed to tee off on Stiverne like that he would have stopped him. Not in a "p4p" fantasy either... In real life.

(Not that he would have been able to keep Stiverne at that range in real life due to the size disparity, but we are talking about punching power)
                    Last edited by ////; 03-17-2015, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Kov and GGG obviously have exceptional power, but Wilder is on another level. There's reallyno legitimate argument against that. He doesn't break guys down with combos, he touches them and they melt. If he learned how to box he'd be a world beater.

Comment

Working...
                      X