Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMH Kalief Browder, NYC Teen Jailed For Years With No Conviction commits suicide

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
    It's not only about the bail.

But if you come from a lower, lower-middle class background, you are probably not going to have the money to afford at least somewhat decent legal representation.

You are going to probably end up with a public defender, which is another strike against you.

The system is pretty fucked up, and once you are in it, it is pretty hard to work your way out of it.

But I'm a white supremacist who has never had to go through the legal system myself, so what do I know.
    ding ding ding. dont listen to khalid man, ill vouch for ya man. you good people.

even cheap attorneys are basically the equivalent of a pub defendent, i had an actual attorney but a bad one. I talked to a good attorney after I did over a year, he said any good attorney woulda been able to get me 6-9 months easy, I did 20+ months on a 4 year sentance.
    Last edited by Rudyo; 06-09-2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Those guards are ****ing useless, no control whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi Rudyo! View Post
        ding ding ding. dont listen to khalid man, ill vouch for ya man. you good people.

even cheap attorneys are basically the equivalent of a pub defendent, i had an actual attorney but a bad one. I talked to a good attorney after I did over a year, he said any good attorney woulda been able to get me 6-9 months easy, I did 20+ months on a 4 year sentance.
        I thought me and X were cool, though.

I did pick the Spurs to snap it all off, after all.

It's whatever.

I hate black people.

Comment

I hate black people.
          Yeah same here, I mean it's nothing personal, we just hate the f**k out of all races that ain't white down here in south carolina

we like basketball though

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            Yeah same here, I mean it's nothing personal, we just hate the f**k out of all races that ain't white down here in south carolina

we like basketball though
            I mean, next time I put a Godzilla avi up, I'm going to have explain the deep seeded roots of my racial animosity towards the Japanese.

Or it could be just my general shit taste in movies.

Not really worried too much these days.

Comment

I mean, next time I put a Godzilla avi up, I'm going to have explain the deep seeded roots of my racial animosity towards the Japanese.

Or it could be just my general shit taste in movies.

Not really worried too much these days.
              I just saw the post in question

smh

Comment

It's not only about the bail.

But if you come from a lower, lower-middle class background, you are probably not going to have the money to afford at least somewhat decent legal representation.

You are going to probably end up with a public defender, which is another strike against you.
                The biggest problem with the public defender is that they're too busy to give you proper attention. A public defender is likely to be a better bet than a low rent attorney who spends most of his time dealing with tort claims, except for the fact that their case load is ridiculously huge.

Where lack of money really comes into play is the inability to retain expert witnesses or pay for expert tests. Somebody with independent wealth can pay for DNA tests and hire expert witnesses who can argue for the accused's innocence or even argue as to their mental state to bargain for a more lenient sentence. Public defenders don't have access to those services, while prosecutors do.

Plus there's the absolute absurdity of a system that requires somebody who is legally not guilty to fork over large sums of money to remain free while awaiting trial. The only really legitimate reason for keeping somebody locked up awaiting trial is that they are a flight risk. After all it doesn't matter what they stand accused of, they are legally innocent of that crime until proven guilty in court.

In every walk of life a wealthy person will get better access to the supposedly unbiased justice system, but in the US there's a particularly egregious inequality which is only compounded by the absolute willingness to throw away the key for the most spurious of reasons.

Comment

Land of the free and the home of the cake, strikes again.

Comment

Originally posted by -Mustang- View Post
                    3 Years in Jail

2 Years in solitary confinement

without a trial & lack of evidence

this is just insane
                    Jesus Christ man. I have two sons who this kind of shit wigs me out. I hope they aren't ever put in this kind of situation.

Comment

Fuked up, but his family let him down also. They may not of had the money for legal great legal representation at the time, but two fukn years? Also, they could have presented their case of countersuing to plenty of lawyers who would have taken the case.

But god forbid they saved their money and hired a lawyer. Guess its kinda hard to save your money when you refuse to work.

Comment

Working...
                      X