....youtube

Comment

Killer whales are really dolphins

Comment

this was always the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
          this was always the case.
          Probably, but it only became know the last several years. Before the the great white was seen as the apex predator of the ocean.

Comment

Never understood why its called whale when its genetically closer to the dolphin.

I guess killer dolphin doesn't sound too badass

Comment

Killer whales are very clever.. if anyone saw the bbc animal documentaries recently.. Like how you get the sea lions resting on big lumps of ice.. and the whales coordinate making waves to get him off there so they can feast..

Also they killed another whale (i think) another fish similar in size anyway.. by flipping it so it drowned

Comment

Originally posted by altparm View Post
                Never understood why its called whale when its genetically closer to the dolphin.

I guess killer dolphin doesn't sound too badass
                The reason is in the old days fishermen observed them killing whales hence the name "the whale killer".

The orcas used to accompany the fishermen on whale hunts.
                The orcas didn't eat the whole whale though, the orca would eat the tongue and jaw, and not the valuable oil in the whale so they weren't a nuisance to them.

I really know more about this stuff than I should. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
                  The reason is in the old days fishermen observed them killing whales hence the name "the whale killer".

The orcas used to accompany the fishermen on whale hunts.
                  The orcas didn't eat the whole whale though, the orca would eat the tongue and jaw, and not the valuable oil in the whale so they weren't a nuisance to them.

I really know more about this stuff than I should. lol.

Actually as a former freezer boat fishermen I appreciate this information. We never came in contact with Killer whales (I have seen a few great whites though) but these are things I never knew.

Comment

Working...
                  X