Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time the boxing world was shocked by an upset?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When was the last time the boxing world was shocked by an upset?

With Berto vs Mayweather and Lemeuix vs GGG I was thinking when was the last time the boxing world was legitimately shocked by an upset? We have had robberies such as Bradley over Manny but im talking legit upsets that shocked the boxing world.

Im talking Tunney over Dempsey, Tarver over Roy Jones, Ali Beating Liston, Ali Foreman and Douglas over Tyson upsets of that nature. Im talking legit I cant believe that fighter just won. Im not talking about some over hyped fighter losing.

So I guess my question is what was the biggest upset since you been a boxing fan and also what are some upsets that have happened over the last few years cause I can think of a couple but none that were like wow thats a complete shock. The boxing world is over due for one of these and though I dont think it will be mayweather barring a robbery I do think an epic upset will happen over the next year or so.

Marquez/Pacquiao IV

Comment

Lewis vs Rahman

Comment

Broner vs maidana

Comment

The last real huge one was Tarver knocking out Roy, but that was over 10 years ago. Not on the level of Berto beating Floyd, but Hopkins beating Pavlik was a big upset in a big fight that sticks in the mind. I remember afterwards when Hop stared down the journalists who mostly picked him to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
            The last real huge one was Tarver knocking out Roy, but that was over 10 years ago. Not on the level of Berto beating Floyd, but Hopkins beating Pavlik was a big upset in a big fight that sticks in the mind. I remember afterwards when Hop stared down the journalists who mostly picked him to lose.
            Pac whipping up on Oscar. Nobody gave him a shot but then after the fight the win was totally denigrated due to Oscar apparently being drained to shlt. Still it was a humbling of the highest order one way or the other.

The last semi-big upset was Rigo over Donaire as nobody had any inkling that such an incredible schooling was about to take place.

Comment

PacMonster getting knocked out. I still can't believe King Taino Marquez did that to him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTainoCanelo View Post
                PacMonster getting knocked out. I still can't believe King Taino Marquez did that to him.
                A little bit of me died that night. In reality it was probably the greatest fight I have ever seen live. One of the best fights ever surely?

Comment

I don't think Marquez beating pace as a shock considering a lot think Marquez beat him already. The way it happened tho was dramatic no doubt. I think tarver jones was last one at that level.

We have had upsets but none at that type of level since tarver jones the closest was prob pac over Oscar

Comment

I was pretty god dam surprised when Ishida stopped Kirkland in 1. Maidana beating Broner was pretty big as well, but not as surprising as that.

But in terms of what shocked the most people? Debatable, probably Jones/Tarver but Lewis/Rahman, Klitschko/Sanders, Baldomir/Judah and some others are close.

Pac over ODLH wasn't super stunning but no one pictured how it would play out. On that note, how devastatingly Marquez won over Pacquiao was huge, but he wasn't a monstrous underdog and they had 3 fights that the judges and media scorecards were split on.
                    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X