Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happend to the one punch knockout artists

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you talkin about putting babies to sleep?

the stars have to align to create a puncher. that being said, there's an orientation around the finish that you used to see in boxing that you no longer see

it's a complicated can of worms. many of the good points have been raised. fighters suffer more from a loss today so they're very cautious, the amateur system is not based on doing damage, but scoring points per blow, etc.

i'll add another point that i've not seen : the gloves.

today's gloves are larger more heavily padded. grant gloves are like pillows. they soften punches and allow for greater ease of blocking punches.

reyes and everlast MX are still lose leather gloves with horsehair, but most other brands use dense foam and hard leather that holds it's form and doesnt allow the knuckles to penetrate into the target

anybody who has trained knows what i'm talking about with ze gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegeorge91 View Post
      It seems as though todays fighters are not putting guys to sleep before they hit the canvas like hearns,jackson and mclellan did
      I know donaires had some good one punch kos
      Aswell as martinez's ko over williams
      But do you think were lacking one punch ko artists in the boxing present?
      No we're not lacking one punch ko artists, they've always been in the minority.

Bailey, Golovkin, Kessler, Abraham, Bute...ever heard of those guys?

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Everyone throws straight shots and thats not how power comes down
      Hearns and McClellan generated KO power with straight punches. So does Wlad Klitschko.

Comment

Why do people always forget jhonny gonzalez he puts guys to sleep, most of his fights nd in kos plus he mixes it with some of the best technical boxing today. Watch he will destroy de leon

Comment

Originally posted by tentwo70 View Post
          First thing: just wanted to say hello to everyone as I am new to this forum. I look forward to talking boxing even if it's arguing with some of you which will inevitably happen!
          I recall Emmanuel Steward saying something on-air a few months ago about the change in approach trainers have implemented. He said something along the lines of fighters hitting pads as more of a means of coordination than for punching through a target which has accounted for the drop in legitimate power punchers. There's also the argument that boxing has lost its "great teachers" and that too sounds plausible. I happen to think that fighters are more aware nowadays of the health risks involved in boxing so there is a lean towards fighting in a more controlled fashion as to not leave themselves open to counters. I happen to believe that every world-class boxer has sufficient pop in their fists to hurt another similarly-sized opponent but the intent to do damage has to be implemented in order for that power to manifest itself.
          Retired heavyweight Corrie Sanders once stated that you should ALWAYS go for the knockout when you see an opening and that seems to sum it up!
          Welcome to the forums. Prepare to have your head hurt from some of the stupid crap you'll hear people say. I remember an article where Steward talked about this. He talked about how he believed the pad work has hurt boxers punching power. He also talked about how guys back in the day used to work the heavy bag with basically garden gloves. Personally when watching Bradley work the mitts in the 24/7 I could really see how he had no power in those punches. He was just trying to connect with the mitt. Made me wonder how right Steward may have been.

Comment

Keith Thurman can be that type of guy...but the difference with Thurman and the others...is that Thurman has BOXING SKILLS to go with his One Punch KO Power

He is not just some dumb Face First Brawl just looking for that Punch which to me is going to make him a very dangerous contender real soon in his Division

Comment

Valero had power to stop a tank. R.I.P

Comment

Plenty of one punch knockout artists around today - Randall Bailey, Lucas Matthysse, Rakhim Chakhkiev, Wladimir Klitschko, Jhonny Gonzalez, Lucian Bute, Gennady Golovkin, Sergio Martinez, Daniel Sandoval, Deontay Wilder (albeit against disgraceful opposition), Carlos Cuadras, David Price, George Groves.

Comment

Working...
                X