Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some human beings have good chins? Specifically, what makes a good chin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The spectrum goes from Julio Caesar Chavez to Amir khan.

Comment

A larger head and a thicker skull usually helps.

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
        Is it mental? spiritual?

Think back to the caveman days. Men would bash rocks on each other's skulls and those who had the good chins had a better chance of winning those fights and mating with the females.

But what makes a good chin in the first place?
        Bone density has something to do with it I'd imagine. I'm a small framed guy and been hit by guys that have outweighed me by 50-75 pounds.....taken me clean off my feet. Never been knocked out though. It happened two times, both sucker punched and both times I sprung back to my feet immediately and the other guy ran off for whatever reason but my face was destroyed.

I've never broken a bone in my life and been told that my bones are denser than normal....once again, whatever that means.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
          Idk but this is a good question for some reason all UK fighters have a mediocre to awful chins
          You're talking rubbish there, no evidence to back that up at all.

Froch had one of the best chins in boxing. Calzaghe took a great shot. Hatton did too till he ****ed himself up with the lifestyle he was leading and losing up 50lbs in a 5/6 week camp before a fight.

Of the active UK boxers, only Khan and Price could be called chinny.

Idiots on here keep saying Fury has a glass jaw because he got decked by Cunningham, despite him never having been KO'd in his life, amateur or pro, and taking a couple of big shots flush from Vlad without any problem.

UK has 60 million population and 11 world titles holders, more than any other country on earth. That should speak for itself.

Comment

I don't know. A strong neck helps but that's certainly not the answer. I don't think it's mental toughness either. Mental toughness would come into play when you are down and will yourself back up. When a boxer gets hit hard enough in the right spot the lights go out and all the mental toughness in the world won't change that. Pacquiao is fearless and certainly very tough mentally. But when Marquez landed that bomb on the button Pacquiao was out cold instantly and didn't have time to be mentally tough. Khan is courageous and mentally tough but he can't take a punch. Hagler was never down or even hurt much in a career of fighting the hardest punchers. Why is there such a huge difference between Hagler's ability to take a punch and Khan's ability to take a punch? There might be some scientific explanation but I sure don't know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
              I don't know. A strong neck helps but that's certainly not the answer. I don't think it's mental toughness either. Mental toughness would come into play when you are down and will yourself back up. When a boxer gets hit hard enough in the right spot the lights go out and all the mental toughness in the world won't change that. Pacquiao is fearless and certainly very tough mentally. But when Marquez landed that bomb on the button Pacquiao was out cold instantly and didn't have time to be mentally tough. Khan is courageous and mentally tough but he can't take a punch. Hagler was never down or even hurt much in a career of fighting the hardest punchers. Why is there such a huge difference between Hagler's ability to take a punch and Khan's ability to take a punch? There might be some scientific explanation but I sure don't know what it is.
              Pacquiao is an interesting case, some fights he has been dropped by baby jabs and left cross eyed, other fights he has been hit flush clean on the chin and never really hurt. I believe the reason is he saw the shots coming and the ones he didnt see put him out.

I think the ability to take a punch has to do with reaction time, MAyorga used to let guys hit him flush because he could prepare to brace for it and his mind and body reacted already before the punch came to prepare for the impact.

But when Oscar dropped him on his butt he never saw that shot coming, and Mayorga has a great chin, Mosley was teeing off on him, most of the time Mayorga just crumbles from gassing out and accumulation of punches similar to Margarito.

Some guys have just horrible glassy chins, they could even see the shot coming and still wobble or drop from a grazing punch, like Seth Mitchell for example.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                You're talking rubbish there, no evidence to back that up at all.

Froch had one of the best chins in boxing. Calzaghe took a great shot. Hatton did too till he ****ed himself up with the lifestyle he was leading and losing up 50lbs in a 5/6 week camp before a fight.

Of the active UK boxers, only Khan and Price could be called chinny.

Idiots on here keep saying Fury has a glass jaw because he got decked by Cunningham, despite him never having been KO'd in his life, amateur or pro, and taking a couple of big shots flush from Vlad without any problem.

UK has 60 million population and 11 world titles holders, more than any other country on earth. That should speak for itself.
                Aldo hates Brits, hence the UK PED Boxer thread he created, posting a dubious article he found in some tabloid newspaper, conveniently forgetting to mention UKAD already established the evidence submitted was uncorroborated. Typical yankee **** jealous because UK fighters are on the rise.

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
                  Is it mental? spiritual?

Think back to the caveman days. Men would bash rocks on each other's skulls and those who had the good chins had a better chance of winning those fights and mating with the females.

But what makes a good chin in the first place?
                  A "good chin" is a misnomer; in a move to protect the brain from further trauma, it is a natural response for the body to temporarily shutdown/reset. A "good chin" today is basically someone's body ignoring that response to protect the brain.

And the idea that cavemen simply stood around, bashing each other's brains in, is also folly. If the social network could be paralleled to the modern examples of ape/primate social structure, violence against others in the group was minimal, largely only coming about when outsider forces tried to interact/overthrow group hierarchy.

Even then, fights to the death (where heavy contact was actually involved) likely didn't happen too often, with folks more likely to run than just stand to fight when odds turn.

Comment

Idk but this is a good question for some reason all UK fighters have a mediocre to awful chins
                    Eubank, Froch had awful chins? What about McCullough, Hamed etc. Your talking nonsense

Comment

But who was Carl Froch? Who was Chris Eubank? Who was Prime Ricky Hatton?

Comment

Working...
                      X