Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was putting Alvarez in with Mayweather a case of bad management?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was putting Alvarez in with Mayweather a case of bad management?

Let me first say, I did/do not think Alvarez could beat Floyd Mayweather & I have never been an Alvarez fan but I did gain some respect for him after the Kirkland fight because he didnt act as arrogant as I first preceived him to be. But with that said, Alvarez was way to green to fight the best of this generation & for his management to talk catchweight over the internet, that was really stupid. For decades well managed/promoted young/prime boxers have proven timing is everything, look at Marciano>Joe Louis, Commacho>Ray Leonard, De La Hoya>Whittaker, Mayweather>De La Hoya etc... Catching a great fighter at the right time is something a good manager and promotor should be looking for, for a future star, and again I dont think he could beat Mayweather but if Canelo wouldve waited untils Floyds 50th fight @160 given he beats Cotto, the fight wouldve been a lot bigger, Canelo wouldve had more experience, at more of a natural weight, & couldve played the timing game.

Anyways, did Canelos management screw him? Did he screw himself?? Or no harm no foul???

No, it was a calculated risk. I'm not sure they thought canelo could win but Canelo thought he could win.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
      No, it was a calculated risk. I'm not sure they thought canelo could win but Canelo thought he could win.
      Thats why I didnt like Canelo so much because he thought he was better than what he was but thats where management needed to step in and have their young bull walk down the hill and **** all the cows instead of running down and trying to **** 1...

Comment

Or over-confidence

Comment

I don't think so. His team I think have done a good job.

I root against Canelo and don't think he's as good as his popularity but the one thing I love about ,Canelo is his attitude and belief that he's great

Don't think it was poor management Nelo wanted the fight to show the world he was the new king and it was a huge $ fight. The problem is Canelo isn't that guy and Mayweather beats even if he waited a year or two or three or four.

If Canelo waited there's a good chance he's be exposed and either his record wouldn't merit a Mayweather fight or financially it wouldn't be as big.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
            Or over-confidence
            Idk how or why they were so confident squeaking by austin plenty of doubt trout...

Comment

He took the big payday while it was there.

And Mexican fans wrent going to abandon him the way other fighters fans would.

He's still young, he's still getting better, he's a star. Losing to Floyd didn't hurt him one bit. And there's no guarantee Floyd would of fought him later in his career as he got better and more experienced.

Floyd is a all time great. But as far as all time greats go, Floyd is the biggest coward in the sport, he better version of canelo he probably doesn't fight.

Comment

It was a money grab for Canelo. Any 22 year old young buck would drain himself for 12 million dollars.

He still has a long career ahead of himself.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                  He took the big payday while it was there.

And Mexican fans wrent going to abandon him the way other fighters fans would.

He's still young, he's still getting better, he's a star. Losing to Floyd didn't hurt him one bit. And there's no guarantee Floyd would of fought him later in his career as he got better and more experienced.

Floyd is a all time great. But as far as all time greats go, Floyd is the biggest coward in the sport, he better version of canelo he probably doesn't fight.
                  The only problem I envision is that Floyd loss will forever be over his head by Floyd fans & historians...

Comment

Originally posted by BOXEO _ View Post
                    It was a money grab for Canelo. Any 22 year old young buck would drain himself for 12 million dollars.

He still has a long career ahead of himself.
                    But dont you think an undefeated lineal MW champion Canelo calling floyd out of retirement for #50 would do Manny vs Floyd numbers or somewhere in that general ballpark?

Comment

Working...
                    X