Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Khan: There Will Be More British Flags Than Mexican Flags in Vegas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
    Kell Brook is about as popular as HIV

Jousha and Haye are household names who can carry a PPV by themselves

Outside of Sheffiled who really knows Brook? Khans a bigger name than Brook...also lets be honest here Brooks been piggybacking of Khans name for YEARS, even when Khan wasn't fighting at 147

We can see who is more popular by their purses..

Brook needs to get a move on and fight some with a name and a pulse
    Khan isn't based in the UK, doesn't fight in the UK and really isn't much of a UK fighter at this point...He also failed to sell out last time he fought in the UK.

So again, Haye, Joshua and Brook are the UK's 3 most popular fighters currently and none are white.

Comment

Originally posted by Juof View Post
      Sorry khan but your wrong on this one. You abandoned the uk fans you'd rather be famous these days or so it seems. I'll respect him and i kind of like him but thats only because i appreciate his potential ability. sucks cause if khan was white he'd probably be loved by the uk. Canelo is an actual mexican and can call it his home without racial hatred he will have more fans
      Khan was hugely popular in the UK at the start of his career. His last amateur fight was broadcast live on primetime TV and was watched by millions, even though it wasn't in a major tournament. Same with all his early pro fights.

He isn't as popular now, due to switching his training base to the US and fighting over there rather than in the UK.

And of course the fact that he's a muslim doesn't help, in the present political climate.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
        Khan isn't based in the UK, doesn't fight in the UK and really isn't much of a UK fighter at this point...He also failed to sell out last time he fought in the UK.

So again, Haye, Joshua and Brook are the UK's 3 most popular fighters currently and none are white.
        Again Brook is not popular, not sure who you are trying to kid

Brook is a local fighter, who can't carry a ppv by himself as Fury once pointed out

He'll never be a star until he lands a big win against a name with a pulse

Comparing HW's to WW's is pointless, brits love hw's, easy to sell

Comment

Originally posted by fanofslug View Post
          If his skin was a bit lighter they'd fly over there. Brits are renowned for their ingrained racism. They like to talk PC and what not, but their racist inclinations always come to surface like this. That's why Americans are better in this regard. The dirtiest, racist red neck from the deep south will support a black American fighter if he says he's fighting for America, whereas the English never truly accept a black/brown fighter as one of their own, they can't help it, they're fiendish and still have that "plant a flag and it's yours, scorch the earth, they're savages" mentality. It's also why most of them look utterly drab and devoid of any signs of exoticness, because they don't mingle with other races and all of them end up with the same mashed potato faces.
          Originally posted by fanofslug View Post
          He's more Afro/Carribean and Christian. He's also "one of the lads", will go round the pub now and again, mug for the camera and so forth. They like those types. Frank Bruno types. Lennox Lewis types and Asians less so, especially if they're vocal or ****y. Plus, AJ's not Seal/Wesley Snipes black. The darker you get in Britain the more you're despised. Statistics support my views. Brb.
          What stupid posts these are!

If Brits are racist and don't mingle, why would they like AJ for being "one of the lads" and going to pubs?

And how come we have so many mixed race boxers to support? Magic?

As for Frank Bruno, yeah, big Frank is as black as the ace of spades, and he was just as popular as Ricky Hatton, back in the 80/90s.

Same thing with Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank. They had millions of fans who idolised them and supported them over here.
          Last edited by kafkod; 03-11-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            Interesting. I can't make any comment as I haven't spent any time in the UK but I've had a lot of colleagues and friends from there (and dad's side of the family lived there for years) and this isn't the first time I've heard some of ^those sentiments echoed.
            Not saying I agree (or approve of the scathing way you said it) only that I've heard this before from reasonable people.
            It depends what part of the UK they were staying in. The South has always had more hard line racists and English nationalists than the North.

In Northern cities like Liverpool and Manchester, black and white people have been working together, living together, and having kids together, for over 100 years.

In my home town, Preston, now a city, the first fully licenced black owned social clubs in the country were founded back in the 60s and were just as popular with whites as with the Carribean immigrants.

One closed a couple of years ago, but the other is still going strong and it's a great night in there. Reggae music, cheap booze, blacks, whites, Sihks, Polish, even a few "under cover" muslims, all getting drunk and having a good time. Nobody gives a **** what race or religion anybody else is.

Comment

maybe after canelo knocks khan out hell have his senses back

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                What stupid posts these are!

If Brits are racist and don't mingle, why would they like AJ for being "one of the lads" and going to pubs?

And how come we have so many mixed race boxers to support? Magic?

As for Frank Bruno, yeah, big Frank is as black as the ace of spades, and he was just as popular as Ricky Hatton, back in the 80/90s.

Same thing with Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank. They had millions of fans who idolised them and supported them over here.
                Its unfair to compere today's boxers to Frank, Benn, Eubank and Naz etc...they had a huge platform on ITV.

With that said Naz was 50% hated and so was Eubank.

Frank was labeled a uncle tom by some people, i've heard the same accusations directed towards Jousha..."a fake, an actor"

Not sure why these people claim Khan ain't popular, 4000 Brits were set to travel to watch Peterson vs Khan 2, until that fight was cancelled

David Haye had a few of his fights on the BBC, Khan had the Olympic exposure as well as a couple of fights on the ITV re-launch of boxing

Hatton was the only one to really have built his name on Sky, he's truly a one off, i think at the time a lot of people had Sky Sports, before the internet streaming days, also there were fewer channels available.

Its hard to build a boxing star without some kind of selling point or platform...Even Tyson Fury had a lot of fights televised on Channel 5, which helped his name grow.
                Last edited by FrankieBruno; 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Khan has never really been popular. Doesn't have much charisma.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                    Its unfair to compere today's boxers to Frank, Benn, Eubank and Naz etc...they had a huge platform on ITV.

With that said Naz was 50% hated and so was Eubank.

Frank was labeled a uncle tom by some people, i've heard the same accusations directed towards Jousha..."a fake, an actor"

Not sure why these people claim Khan ain't popular, 4000 Brits were set to travel to watch Peterson vs Khan 2, until that fight was cancelled

David Haye had a few of his fights on the BBC, Khan had the Olympic exposure as well as a couple of fights on the ITV re-launch of boxing

Hatton was the only one to really have built his name on Sky, he's truly a one off, i think at the time a lot of people had Sky Sports, before the internet streaming days, also there were fewer channels available.

Its hard to build a boxing star without some kind of selling point or platform...Even Tyson Fury had a lot of fights televised on Channel 5, which helped his name grow.
                    Naz and Eubank wound some people up with their arrogant attitude and boasting, especially Naz, who could be a real cunt when he put his mind to it, which he did, 99% of the time. Lol. But that wasn't connected to race.

Bruno is similar to AJ in that he adopted a persona that a mainly white fan base liked and stuck with it. AJ is a lot smarter than Frank though, more aware of what he is doing and why.

Comment

Anthony Joshua being popular pokes a big hole in the theory of Brits being racist. It has nothing to do with race. It's because Khan is delusional about how good he really is.

Comment

Working...
                      X