No announcement yet.

Weight loss, stress relief and boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight loss, stress relief and boxing

Hello...I joined this forum because I have a few questions before I begin my new weight loss plan. I'm getting ready for my wedding and I needed a way to get rid of the weight I gained in college. I have 3 months to lose a happy 80lbs, semi happy 50lbs, or not where I want to be 30lbs.

Besides trying to lose weight, I needed a stress reliever from my day and work. I like to hit things so I picked up a heavy bag, some gloves, and got the bag hanging in my parent's basement.

I'm already cutting myself down to 2000 calories a day, working, and not much exercise. When I do begin working out (tomorrow), I'm going to bump up to 2500 a day.

So, why I'm here. Well, I'm 23 year old female, who is a total noob to boxing. I have the following questions and would love to know a few more things that will keep me safe and healthy.

When it comes to boxing gloves, what kind are best...weight wise, wrap/velcro/lace wise, etc. Do I need wraps under my gloves?
    I'm not training to be a fighter, so what is the best work out regiment? Hitting a bag maybe 30 minutes two times a day?

Sorry, I'm so full of questions and so ready to lose weight and be healthy. Any tips that I can get from anyone will be greatly appreciated!!!

get bag gloves not training gloves, definitely use wraps, and work on the bag as far as you can push yourself, 3 minute rounds 30 second to 1 minute rests. if you can't get to a gym watch some video's and practice in front of a mirror to get some technique.

Comment

Hmm, well. Being a female, weight or I should say fatty weight will be alot harder to get rid of. I dont know why but its just the natural way things are for women. Dont get discouraged though.

Cardio! Cardio! and.... more Cardio! You want to lose weight fast then cardio is your best bet. Ever wonder why cross country runners are so thin? Because cardio (aerobic exercise) burns fat, muscle, and causes water loss. Which results in losing pounds of weight. So get to liking running, hiking, bicycling, power walking, plyometrics etc.

The best boxing gloves depends on the user. Since you just want some decent gloves for the heavy bag. Get some ringside or title boxing gloves. They're cheaper than grant, cleto, and winnings gloves (which others may suggest) but work just as good. All types of gloves work, it just depends on what you like. I would suggest Velcro though because its the easiest.

As for a heavy bag workout. Go non stop on a heavy bag for 2-5 minutes, 3 rounds with a 1 minute rest between rounds. Do it twice a day, or fit it in-between your other cardio workouts. You will need to do a ton of cardio, I stress cardio because its what you truthfully need in order to lose weight.

Also, when you punch, breath with every punch. Stay loose until the moment before impact. Try to keep your fist at a slight angle, dont make it completely horizontal. You dont want your wrist to bend back on impact which can result in injury. I would suggest sticking to straights and jabs until your feel comfortable enough to move onto hooks. Because you can hurt your wrists, or more, if you throw hooks wrong. You can even hurt your wrist if your throw a straight wrong.

As far as Nutrition goes. Eat tons of fruit. A fruit in particular is Grapefruit. It has an enzyme in it that makes the body trigger a signal that begins the break down of fatty tissue. I dont remember the exact scientific names but I know what im talking about. Also brown rice and Salmon. They also aid in breaking down fat and what not.

Dont forget to hydrate a.k.a drink water. Stay away from fruit juice the sugars will kill your work out.

Anyways, im glad to be of some help. I am not advertising this site in any way shape or form but you might want to check it out for more information on overall health.

http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/
      Last edited by F l i c k e r; 03-08-2009, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Check out rosstraining and rossboxing
        http://www.rossboxing.com/

Comment

It's good that you thought about boxing to put yourself in shape, because it's pretty much the best sport in the world to get in shape, it works out your whole body.

Hitting the bag is a good start but you should also shadow box, as it also expends a lot of energy and it is a good cardio work out. I would also suggest going for jogs, or atleast walking.

As for gloves i don't think you should get anything too expensive, but still don't get gloves that are too cheap as they often offer bad protection. 12 oz bag gloves should do for you. You should indeed use hand wraps, they are cheap, i would suggest getting mexican style wraps as they are strechy get them as long as you can.

In case you don't know how to put on hand wraps here is a video:

There are different ways to put them on but that is a pretty good one.

Lastly, go easy at first after your first sessions you will most likely be sore, don't be afraid to take a day off to let your body rest.

As for stress relief, everybody has something different that will releive their stress, but boxing is a good one, atleast for me. Hitting the bag will let a lot of stress and pressure out.

Keep us updated and feel free to ask if you have any question.

Comment

/

the main thing is your diet,

if you want to lose that much weight that fas tthen u need to be goin to be hungy, to me 2000 and 2500 sounds too much, isnt the recomed womans daily amount only 1500, rater than boxing you should run, on a treadmil or outside, push your self and drasticly cut down on ur food intake, if you want to lose the weight,

also dont consue much carbs, dont eat bread at all, stay away from pasta and anything with lost of carbs in, eat light salads, ect..........dont eat after a certain time such as 8oclock ,

wht works for me is, if i go to bed hungry i know im doing well lol

Comment

Working...
            X