Canelo Scouting Report vs Mayweather by AMSB

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo Scouting Report vs Mayweather by AMSB

Canelo tons of skill

Canelo has a great jab and he sets up nasty combinations behind it. Mayweather is a master at taking away guys jabs with counters. I expect him to try to do the same with Canelo.

If Canelo can manage to keep Floyd off balance be...

1. Committing to the jab...and doubling jabs (hard to pull counter double jab)
    2. Feinting repeatedly
    3. Never having a rhythm

If he can do these 3 things, he can make this a VERY interesting fight and put himself in a position to take away SOME of Mayweather's advantages.

This is such an interesting fights because there are so many variables that will impact it...

1. Will Canelo gas?
    2. Will Floyd fight him like he fought Cotto or Guerrero?
    3. Will Floyd make Canelo respect his power?
    4. Will Canelo be able to force exchanges?
    5. Will Floyd decide and try to walk Canelo down and force him to fight backwards like he did Ortiz? (Like Ortiz, Canelo prefers fighting moving forward).

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
      Canelo has a great jab and he sets up nasty combinations behind it. Mayweather is a master at taking away guys jabs with counters. I expect him to try to do the same with Canelo.

If Canelo can manage to keep Floyd off balance be...

1. Committing to the jab...and doubling jabs (hard to pull counter double jab)
      2. Feinting repeatedly
      3. Never having a rhythm

If he can do these 3 things, he can make this a VERY interesting fight and put himself in a position to take away SOME of Mayweather's advantages.

This is such an interesting fights because there are so many variables that will impact it...

1. Will Canelo gas?
      2. Will Floyd fight him like he fought Cotto or Guerrero?
      3. Will Floyd make Canelo respect his power?
      4. Will Canelo be able to force exchanges?
      5. Will Floyd decide and try to walk Canelo down and force him to fight backwards like he did Ortiz? (Like Ortiz, Canelo prefers fighting moving forward).
      I agree but...............

Even if Canelo does all these things, he will still lose IMO. You cannot beat Mayweather at his own game, you just can't. He's a very careful fighter, he doesn't take many risks and is content to pit shot you from the outside if that's the game you want to play.

I think the only chance that Canelo has to beat Mayweather, is to be aggressive. To come forward and fight bell to bell for 12 rounds. Now, we haven't seen him do that, and his cardio is in question but I just feel if he stands on the outside or thinks he can box with Mayweather, it's going to just be a Floyd UD.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        I agree but...............

Even if Canelo does all these things, he will still lose IMO. You cannot beat Mayweather at his own game, you just can't. He's a very careful fighter, he doesn't take many risks and is content to pit shot you from the outside if that's the game you want to play.

I think the only chance that Canelo has to beat Mayweather, is to be aggressive. To come forward and fight bell to bell for 12 rounds. Now, we haven't seen him do that, and his cardio is in question but I just feel if he stands on the outside or thinks he can box with Mayweather, it's going to just be a Floyd UD.
        I think him having to be aggressive is a given and almost goes without saying. We can't expect Mayweather to take the fight to him. But what I'm saying he should do would make his aggression effective. A lot of guys Mayweather has fought that have been aggressive have been far too predictable (no feints, don't commit to jab, to much of a rhythm etc.) I agree with Barry that Canelo has more skills than people give him credit for. If he can add these wrinkles to his aggression, the fight may be VERY interesting.

Comment

I agree, the best way to attack Mayweather is to come straight forward for 12 rounds relentlessly like a pit bull. Abandon all that thinking nonsense and just be aggressive. There is no other way.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
            I agree, the best way to attack Mayweather is to come straight forward for 12 rounds relentlessly like a pit bull. Abandon all that thinking nonsense and just be aggressive. There is no other way.
            I am assuming you're being facetious...but just in case you aren't...Hatton and Burton/Augustus both got stopped doing this to Mayweather.

I agree that anybody who beats Mayweather is going to have to be aggressive...but that's way too simple. The aggression will have to be effective and have some slickness and craft to it. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that Mayweather WILL have the reach advantage...which means he can time his shots at that precise moment when you're coming forward where he can reach Canelo but Canelo can't reach him. Floyd a master at that.

Canelo has his hands full, but I agree he's one of the few that seems to be closest to having the tools to beat Mayweather. Would love to see Mayweather vs. Lara as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
              I am assuming you're being facetious...but just in case you aren't...Hatton and Burton/Augustus both got stopped doing this to Mayweather.

I agree that anybody who beats Mayweather is going to have to be aggressive...but that's way too simple. The aggression will have to be effective and have some slickness and craft to it. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that Mayweather WILL have the reach advantage...which means he can time his shots at that precise moment when you're coming forward where he can reach Canelo but Canelo can't reach him. Floyd a master at that.

Canelo has his hands full, but I agree he's one of the few that seems to be closest to having the tools to beat Mayweather. Would love to see Mayweather vs. Lara as well.
              Of course he's being facetious because he's a grown up who acts like a 12 year old.

mconstantine since you actually like to discuss boxing without getting your panties in a ruffle, I will direct this to you.

I agree that Canelo has better skills than people think, in the Trout fight I was very impressed with his head movement and footwork. I also think that Trout is a COMPLETELY different fighter than Mayweather is.

Trout wins on volume of punches, great jab and is much stronger than people give him credit for. Mayweather is a natural counter puncher, he will wait, set you up and just pick you apart.

I think Canelo can box with him in spurts, I just think if he really wants to win this fight, he needs to be aggressive and pressure a lot.

2 fighters that gave Mayweather problems was Jose Luis Castillo and DLH, both for different reasons. Castillo I thought used his size, pressure and aggression to win the first fight (I scored it for him). Obviously Oscar gave him problems because of his size and jab.

Canelo has many dimensions to his game, I expect him to use all of them but do you really think that him sitting back and boxing with Mayweather is going to get him the win? I don't.....

Hatton and Augustus didn't have the size advantage that Canelo will going into this fight. He has to use this and make it rough and tough inside. He will have to take chances, yes intelligent chances but chances nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
              X