Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparring in 14 oz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you read my post instead of scanning it you'd realize I was speaking of different sizes and ages. You don't put a 16oz glove on a 14 yrs weighing 125lbs. You won't find a pro weighing 125lbs who wants to wear a 16 oz glove preparing for a fight, their to BIG!

The some on this thread (Me) who don't subscribe to 16oz are the best is the one person here who's gym opened in 1969 and it remains opened.
    Top pro's and high rated amateur have come to me for prep work and to learn certain specific techniques and a wide variety of glove sizes and type is needed to work with all kinds of kids and adults.

Rockin' that 18oz or 20oz could cover a lot more area (face) than the 12oz so with a heavy handed fellow the glove weight gets to be immaterial. Ray.

Comment

I get the feeling many americans talk about 16 oz gloves. Maybe they are more focused on the heavyer weightclasses? Where i trained most guys are about 130-168 and a few heavyer guys.
      Also the gym provides gloves, so everyone uses the same gloves which are not too worn or old. As most guys at the gym are medium sized or smaller guys most sparring gloves at the gym are 14 oz.

Comment

I am 147 pounds and I have small hands. I feel really sluggish in 16 oz and I can't get any power in my punches whatsoever with them on.

Is that a valid reason to use 14 oz?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrien_Boner View Post
          I am 147 pounds and I have small hands. I feel really sluggish in 16 oz and I can't get any power in my punches whatsoever with them on.

Is that a valid reason to use 14 oz?

It's all in your mind.

Comment

Every gym in my area (Central PA) uses 16oz gloves regardless of weight. Even people weighing 132lbs like me use them.

Comment

Working...
            X